Leeds United v Rotherham Official matchday thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds United v Rotherham Official matchday thread

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:16 am Heck of a ball from Phillips but Roofe still had to be accurate with that. Having beat 1 man he then, at a narrow angle, has the goalie and another defender to beat.
That was so cool and calm. As ges said, it's amazing what a bit of confidence can do - now proving his potential.
Roofe doesn't look the same player, his goals this season are sensational......he now reminds me of a Barca/Real striker :supbo:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

Roofe doesn't look the same player, his goals this season are sensational......he now reminds me of a Barca/Real striker :supbo:
Thinking about it from the perspective of that goal, he's not flamboyant, and nor does he need to be, but if his confidence ever gets that high the sky's the limit.
He's doing absolutely smashing right now - the way he put that in the net and then ran calmly round the back of it, he has no need for the show-off stuff.
He reminded me of Allan Clarke at that moment, 1 finger/hand acknowledgement for the goal and none of the sprawling on the ground rubbish. A dignified lad.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm Was suggesting it more in comparison to how people judge teams at this early stage of the season when we don't really know how good they are - last year Forest and Sunderland were both touted as being likely to compete for promotion which made our wins over them seem highly impressive - yet they were both poor teams when judged by final league positions. Stoke could be the new Sunderland and go down again and Derby could be the new Forest strongly tipped but never really doing it on the pitch.

Like you say most teams in the championship are very similar. Hopefully our style of play elevates us above the average and is enough to get us promoted.
Stoke are nothing like Sunderland. Once Rowett is gone by Oct/Nov they'll probably bring in Fat Sam and charge up the table.

Funny how when the fixtures were released, Bielsa would be in trouble after 2 games, yet now we beat both they're suddenly both poor teams.

What do people class as a 'top' team? Everyone is raving over Brentford, yet they've played 2/3 of the same teams as us. The strongest, on paper, are probably Boro and Villa.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:32 am Stoke are nothing like Sunderland. Once Rowett is gone by Oct/Nov they'll probably bring in Fat Sam and charge up the table.

Funny how when the fixtures were released, Bielsa would be in trouble after 2 games, yet now we beat both they're suddenly both poor teams.

What do people class as a 'top' team? Everyone is raving over Brentford, yet they've played 2/3 of the same teams as us. The strongest, on paper, are probably Boro and Villa.
Just like our performances are different class compared to our decent one's last season.

I can't recall a Leeds team playing football like we are witnessing now in the last fifteen years. We weren't at our fluent best v Rotherham however, our moves were classier with slicker passing on show than in the Sunderland/Forest games.

I heard a bit of negativity on our coach home, why can't our fans just enjoy & savour the wonderful football Bielsa has brought to Leeds?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am Just like our performances are different class compared to our decent one's last season.

I can't recall a Leeds team playing football like we are witnessing now in the last fifteen years. We weren't at our fluent best v Rotherham however, our moves were classier with slicker passing on show than in the Sunderland/Forest games.

I heard a bit of negativity on our coach home, why can't our fans just enjoy & savour the wonderful football Bielsa has brought to Leeds?
I expect it from rival fans, but it's nauseating from our own fans. All I know is if another club beat Stoke 3-1 and then won 4-1 at Derby, we'd be bemoaning that we're not as good as them.

Rotherham was always going to be harder as we'd have to break them down. Plus a Yorkshire derby and they had a spring in their step from 2 straight wins over Championship opposition.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm Was suggesting it more in comparison to how people judge teams at this early stage of the season when we don't really know how good they are - last year Forest and Sunderland were both touted as being likely to compete for promotion which made our wins over them seem highly impressive - yet they were both poor teams when judged by final league positions. Stoke could be the new Sunderland and go down again and Derby could be the new Forest strongly tipped but never really doing it on the pitch.

Like you say most teams in the championship are very similar. Hopefully our style of play elevates us above the average and is enough to get us promoted.
Think we heard from a few sources pre season Sunderland would struggle in the championship. Stoke aren't going down.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

As Bield says, you can't start presuming the outcome of the league after 3 games. All we can do us look at our next opposition and try to beat them.

Can't see Stoke struggling long-term this season. It would be nothing to them to go and get a Big Sam or someone of that ilk (Warnock after he's sacked) to come steady any wobbles.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 am I expect it from rival fans, but it's nauseating from our own fans. All I know is if another club beat Stoke 3-1 and then won 4-1 at Derby, we'd be bemoaning that we're not as good as them.

Rotherham was always going to be harder as we'd have to break them down. Plus a Yorkshire derby and they had a spring in their step from 2 straight wins over Championship opposition.
I am not being negative I try to take more of a balanced view. I don't get overly excited by a couple of decent performances and equally when we have a bad run I don't get too down - there are usually fine margins between getting a win and a defeat - Rotherham score one of their early chances and it can be a different outcome, same with Derby. Football is a confidence game and these players look great now they are playing with confidence and have bought into Bielsa's tactics. These players equally looked abysmal when they were short on confidence (albeit playing a different style etc). The league is a gruelling test and we have played just 3 matches.

It is brilliant to see Leeds playing this way. The best match I have ever seen, involving Leeds, was when we lost 5-3 at home to PSV in the mid 90s. It was just attacking football for 90 minutes. I love seeing football played this way and it will be even better if we can have success playing this way. Compare our champagne football at the moment to the football played by Mourinho's team, even if they win there is very little to excite their fans.

Our start and style of play gives me optimism but as a Leeds fan I am only too used to seeing things crumble the second I dare to believe.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:57 am I am not being negative I try to take more of a balanced view. I don't get overly excited by a couple of decent performances and equally when we have a bad run I don't get too down - there are usually fine margins between getting a win and a defeat - Rotherham score one of their early chances and it can be a different outcome, same with Derby. Football is a confidence game and these players look great now they are playing with confidence and have bought into Bielsa's tactics. These players equally looked abysmal when they were short on confidence (albeit playing a different style etc). The league is a gruelling test and we have played just 3 matches.

It is brilliant to see Leeds playing this way. The best match I have ever seen, involving Leeds, was when we lost 5-3 at home to PSV in the mid 90s. It was just attacking football for 90 minutes. I love seeing football played this way and it will be even better if we can have success playing this way. Compare our champagne football at the moment to the football played by Mourinho's team, even if they win there is very little to excite their fans.

Our start and style of play gives me optimism but as a Leeds fan I am only too used to seeing things crumble the second I dare to believe.
I'm not getting carried away or over excited, as we all know with Leeds it's never straight forward or easy. I'm just pointing out when the fixtures came out everyone said it was a really tough start, but now we beat Stoke and Derby, they're suddenly crap.