Recommended TV Drama

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Bodyguard/Strangers/Killing Eve

Post by whiteswan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Oh my giddy Aunt! Just finished watching the last episode of 'Cheat'. Had my emotions all over the place. Brilliant writing from the writer of 'Liar'.... wow, what a drama. Katherine Kelly, up and coming Molly Windsor (Three Girls) awesome creepy annoying emotional performance from her, Ade Edmondson, Peter Firth, Loraine Ashbourne and more. Brilliant telly, anyone watch this brilliant four parter?

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 am

Dalton wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:12 pm
I thought the Bodyguard had too many unnecessary twists. I mean big "twist" Bombmaker 1) is unlikley to want to blow up the kids of the officer who stopped her being shot and 2) is supposedly the chief maker and not the person who blows herself up
I thought The Bodyguard was brilliant television

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Whilst laid up, I've been watching a few things, both I've really enjoyed.

Home - Channel 4 , comedy about a Syrian asylum seeker, funny yet touching. Very well written imo.

Series 1 of Orange is the new Black- Netflix, about a woman who goes to jail for a crime committed 10 years earlier, whilst in a lesbian relationship,her partner is a drug runner, she rebuilds her life during the 10 years and is in a relationship with a man, when she is sent to jail, shows the lives of her fellow inmates, giving an insight into their reasons and experiences for their crimes, also the impact it has on her fiance, based on true life experiences.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:42 pm

I am currently watching the last episode of The Cheat, on Ducky's recommendation... :shock: :shock:

f**k me... :angel: :angel: :poo:

it is good, I may just leave off baiting Ducky for a while...... 8-)

on the other hand :P :P

next is the 8 parter The widower, got all 8 parts on the hard drive :)
Sent from my bog standard Pc using my fingers.................

:) :)

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Designated survivor for me, started this last year, dropped netflix for a while then picked it up again recently. Great show for someone like me.

On the subject of Netflix. unsure if mentioned before but the set for Cursed (new netflix drama is in full swing top of Frith Hill (About a mile away as the crow flies, and Army land that the Yanks used during the second world war ...). Which is basically Deepcut. Lots of medieval type buildings going up...

Deepcut Church by the way features in Kingsmen. The scene where Colin Firth goes nuts
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

hector

Post by hector » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Deepcut was where I did my army selection course many many moons ago as a 16 year old...

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 pm

hector wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:08 pm
Deepcut was where I did my army selection course many many moons ago as a 16 year old...
I could have guessed that, my partner won the long service medal (presented by a colonel at a passing out parade) and mention in the Queens honours list one year for her work at Pirbright camp, just on the other side of the ranges.

Do you remember the white church? Famous for getting dismantled, transported and being re-assembled in France during WW1
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:27 pm

hector wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:42 pm
I am currently watching the last episode of The Cheat, on Ducky's recommendation... :shock: :shock:

f**k me... :angel: :angel: :poo:

it is good, I may just leave off baiting Ducky for a while...... 8-)

on the other hand :P :P

next is the 8 parter The widower, got all 8 parts on the hard drive :)
So pleased you enjoyed it hector....edge of the seat stuff or what. There were parts where I couldn't even watch. Such brilliant acting from Yorkshires own Katherine Kelly and young Molly Windsor (three girls) who was menacing to say the least.
So.....you might just be nice to Ducky for a change :shock: ...... but then again....can a Leopard change it's spots.....hmmmmm

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:48 pm

So Eve was shot by Villanelle in the final episode

Eve can't be dead can she ?

hector

Post by hector » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Well her hsuband is, and let's face it, the only real star is villanelle, so maybe the next series can be called 'Killed Eve' :)

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 pm

hector wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 pm
Well her hsuband is, and let's face it, the only real star is villanelle, so maybe the next series can be called 'Killed Eve' :)
Her husband wasn't killed, his teacher friend was suffocated in a plastic bag. I thought the husband came round after being knocked out

billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Killing Eve season 2 on the whole was a big disappointment , not a patch on season 1 , and , dare I say , a bit boring . Not sure I’ll keep watching should a season 3 transpire .

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 pm

Really enjoyed series two, possibly better than one

Currently The Confession and The Capture are both top quality drama, love the premise of the later

Also enjoying Scarborough and the excellent State of the Union
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:40 pm

1964white wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 pm
Her husband wasn't killed, his teacher friend was suffocated in a plastic bag. I thought the husband came round after being knocked out
Really need spoilers on this site, for those poor people who haven't got around to watching it yet (Not me, by the way). Also probably the thread needs renaming to "Recommended TV Drama" or some such. Two really excellent Netflix series have just been recently viewed. Unbelievable and The Spy. The former an investigation into a serial rapist in the States, which really highlights why some women might not want to report a rape. Not for the faint hearted, but great performances from the two female detectives (Merryn Weaver and Toni Collette), and especially the young girl who plays the first victim. The latter is the story of an Israeli spy, who infiltrates the highest level of the Syrian government, in the 1960's. A really good, and out of character, performance from Sacha Baron Cohen, as the epomymous spy. Both are adapted from true stories, btw.

We are also enjoying "A Confession" and "The Capture" on terrestrial TV.

Also, not to miss out on the media. There are now five seasons of "Bosch" on Amazon Prime. As a fan of the Michael Connelly books, I can highly recommend these (Once I got over the fact that Titus Welliver looks nothing like the Harry Bosch that I envisioned.)
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Yeah we have all the Bosch books, up there as an author with Robert Goddard and Lee Child for me.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 pm

In the middle of Unbelievable myself, not drawn to Spy at all, not a fan of the spy genre tbh. Mindhunter is brilliant, Designate Survivor is clever and quite enjoying "i land" even if the acting is a bit dodgy
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:03 pm

The first victim in Unbelievable is of course the actress who plays Tim Allen's youngest daughter in "Last Man Standing"
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 pm

faaip wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 pm
In the middle of Unbelievable myself, not drawn to Spy at all, not a fan of the spy genre tbh. Mindhunter is brilliant, Designate Survivor is clever and quite enjoying "i land" even if the acting is a bit dodgy
I wasn't sure about Unbelievable after reading some reviews prior to watching it. All a bit "Metoo" with the women cast as the victims/saviours and the men as idiots or worse. However, it really gripped from the beginning, and the young girl really tugged on the heartstrings. Makes sense that the first police responder that a rape victim encounters should be female. Anyway, really enjoyed it.

The Spy is not your typical James Bond type spy film. I was more gripped by the Middle Eastern situation at the time and how some of Cohen's actions led to historical events. Each to their own, though.

I enjoyed the first series of Mindhunter, and am looking forward to the second, however the missus is not that keen. I will have to set some time aside when she is otherwise engaged. The 1st series of Designated Survivor was good, but the second series not so much. Don't know where you are, but we would have to be desperate for something to watch, to pick up Series 3. Kiefer Sutherland started to really irritate us.

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 pm

faaip wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 pm
Yeah we have all the Bosch books, up there as an author with Robert Goddard and Lee Child for me.
I like Goddard and Child also David Baldacci, Harlan Coben and John Connolly amongst others. Maybe we should start a good read thread.

Currently enjoying the "Dark Yorkshire" series by J.M Dalgliesh. Set in North Yorkshire. Crime thrillers which make York look like Midsomer.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Coben is top class, Safe is on Netflix I think, enjoyed that.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Advertisment