New Signings Review

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

New Signings Review

Post by YorkshireSquare »

So, we are a few weeks in to the new season. Eight of our new signings have made first team appearances, though opportunities have been rare for some so far. Who has impressed? do you think they will all start tonight? Who do you think is closest to the first team who hasn't got a League start so far?

• Barry Douglas
  • Patrick Bamford
  • Lewis Baker
  • Jamal Blackman
  • Jack Harrison
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: New Signings Review

Post by Genghers »

Douglas - has been excellent, which we expected after the season he had with Wolves, but there's always that anxiety that these signings won't live up to that. A steal at £3m and the best LB we've had in years.

Bamford - has had limited time due to Roofe's form, but he's been impressive in his attitude and has come off the bench to affect games as well as getting a goal on his first start. You don't worry about Roofe missing a game with him as backup.

Baker - has done okay when he's played, but I don't think he's as up to speed with Bielsa's style as Klich. Holds onto the ball a bit too long sometimes for me - couple of times in the Swansea game he could have released Shackleton, but instead cut back inside and played a square/backwards ball. Can imagine Forshaw will be ahead of him once he's back.

Blackman - No better than BPF for me. Was shakey vs. Guiseley (the only match I've got to this season) and made a couple of mistakes in the cup v. Bolton. He's an okay backup, but I don't see why wed drop our own player for a loanee unless they are clearly better.

Harrison - clearly a talented player with pace and quick feet. Similar to Baker in that I don't think he's on the Bielsa wavelength quite yet and he needs to look for the final ball quicker. Definitely a useful option off the bench though.

Would have thought they'll all start tonight bar Douglas (Pearce should get a game imo).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Douglas - excellent signing.
Bamford - good signing, hasn't had much of a chance due to Roofe's form, but got us a point at Swansea. Expect big things from him.
Baker - again not had much of a chance, but not really shown he deserves to start when he has.
Blackman - poor signing imo. Don't understand why you'd loan a GK to sit on the bench. Has looked poor when he's played, don't see him featuring unless BPF is injured.
Harrison - another poor signing for me. Not sure what he offers and is he any better than Sacko? Overrated as he's Man City, but it's not like he'll ever play for them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Harrison maybe something down the line but a pointless signing for us I feel. The American league feels very sanitized when I watch it (not often admittedly) So I don't see anyway Harrison adjusts in time before he has to go back...

I still hate loans btw

Baker - Needs games at this level, not going to get them

Never saw the point in Blackman unless we loaned him to start...appears we didn't (No idea if he was in anyway to blame tonight).

Bamford looks quality, which is fortunate as we paid a recent record fee for him...

douglas - Top class
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Douglas is class, a bargain, suspect defensively at times but still class at this level.

Bamford- like the look of him, some of the things he has done have been class, that turn for the assist, his 1st touch when the ball has been dropping from a great height is really impressive, happened a few times.

Blackman- hard to judge, but seems like a squad filler, dont like that, loans just to fill spaces.

Baker- ok, not to keen, not a top quality loan and again if a loan isnt of the highest quality dpnt see the point.

Harrison- has something but similar to Baker, not looking like a game changer yet, hopefully improve but not of the level of the best City prospects unfortunately.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barry Douglas Excellent signing, a snip for last seasons best LB

Patrick Bamford Classy striker who'll score goals for us

The rest are fillers who may come good, right now can't see them ousting BPF, Klich & Alioski out of the first XI

• Lewis Baker
  • Jamal Blackman
  • Jack Harrison
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Douglas the Championship signing of the decade when you consider the price we paid for him, nearly as criminal as the French guy we sold to Manchester.

Bamford is a competent replacement for Roofe (never thought I’d be uttering that line).

Harrison I wanted to see him replace Alioski but he hasn’t grabbed his limited chances with both hands. Great to have his quality on the bench though.

Blackman I’d leave firmly on the bench, give BPF the experience, pointless playing a loan player who is no better or worse than what we have.

Baker, limited time, another who hasn’t grasped his opportunity and will fall further down the pecking order when Forshaw is fit.

Loans, we need another defender still.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

What about Tyler Roberts? Not a new signing I know but first time we've really had a look at him.

We paid a good amount of cash for an injured player, who then picked up a further knock. I'm not sure where he fits in now.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Roberts looked bright against Guiseley, but he's definitely a prospect rather than a starter.

Bielsa clearly rates him in the same bracket as Shackleton, Shaughnessy and Pearce and he has form for improving players so that can only be a good thing imo