Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Is Patrick Bamford As Bad As People Say? - A Deep Dive

Post by dezzy »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:43 pm Great post. PB should have been into the 20 goals but equally in a small sample size of a season stats can be schewed a bit. Bamford has had at least a couple of very marginal offside goals disallowed, hit the woodwork several times and had a couple of great saves. Admittedly he has missed some good chances, all strikers do, but if even 3 or 4 more shots had gone in and his record would look ok.

Like you say though his workrate up front leading the high press has been a major cog in the Bielsa machine and with many strikers if they don't score you get absolutely nothing from them in a match.
He had no real back up for large parts of the season and at times he really needed a break from the team, that magnified his short comings too I feel
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 pm Leeds are creating (or were) many more chances for bamford than they were for wood. so all things being equal bamford should be scoring more goals than wood ever got
:tup: :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 pm Leeds are creating (or were) many more chances for bamford than they were for wood. so all things being equal bamford should be scoring more goals than wood ever got
Although you could argue that they created far better chances for Wood with most of his goals coming from close range. Additionally because we also had the likes of Bartley and Jannson being threats at corners the opposition it meant Wood had more opportunities to head home from corners. Wood in his first season for us was incredibly average to say the least but then did have a fantastic season.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

This.

No comparison between wood and bamford can be made in my opinion for this reason alone. Bamford gets so many chances every single game compared to Chris wood who was playing in a pretty poor championship side at the time (and still managed to score a lot of goals).

That being said pb does a lot of the team beside scoring goals, his finishing has just been woeful at best.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by 1964white »

Evidence that Paddy can score goals

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

A few good goals in that lot Leon, although all goals are good obviously.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:00 pm A few good goals in that lot Leon, although all goals are good obviously.
Some very well taken goals Norm :tup: he can do it more often when he doesn't have to think about it!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Yes it seems that way doesn't it - on some of those he's missed he does look more nervous.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm Some very well taken goals Norm :tup: he can do it more often when he doesn't have to think about it!
The pressure of playing for Leeds, better players have failed before him and credit too him for plugging away through some horrible dips in form
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Now if he wasn't ours, and it was rumoured we were to put in a bid for him, you would look at that video and think, now there's a player!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm Some very well taken goals Norm :tup: he can do it more often when he doesn't have to think about it!
I agree. Paddy seems to do better when he works on instinct.

Reminds me of the time I was pitching in a high school baseball game and the catcher, the infielders and I were having a hard time deciding on a course of action. The coach called for time out and came to the mound and asked me what the heck I was doing.

I said, "I was thinking we should play it..."

The coach cut me off and said, "Quit thinking. You're hurting the ball club."
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Currie14 »

Right Foot, left Foot, Headers. Complete striker 😃
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Well taken goal today Paddy.

Hopefully he is in one of his streaks now, couple of goals recently and he has always been a streaky striker.

Whatever we think of him we need him to bag a few more goals and he took that one well today so good job Paddy!!!!!

Hopefully with Harrison, Klich, KP, Ali chipping in a bit some of the pressure will be taken off his shoulders.

He isnt alone in being wasteful so hopefully now he wont feel like he has to be the only one scoring.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Criticism of Bamford seems to be a bit irrational.

And for the record, I'm not referring to anyone on this forum; I see this primarily in YEP comments and on other fan forums (not all Leeds).

When people point out that, while he may not score a boatload of goals, he does many other things that help the club, the critics say that a striker's job is to score goals.

So when he scores goals, people point out all the other things he failed to do.

Is he a Premier League-level striker? I doubt it. Can he get us there? I don't see why not.

The guy can't catch a break.

In the meantime, he's the seventh-leading scorer in the Championship.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:02 pm Criticism of Bamford seems to be a bit irrational.

And for the record, I'm not referring to anyone on this forum; I see this primarily in YEP comments and on other fan forums (not all Leeds).

When people point out that, while he may not score a boatload of goals, he does many other things that help the club, the critics say that a striker's job is to score goals.

So when he scores goals, people point out all the other things he failed to do.

Is he a Premier League-level striker? I doubt it. Can he get us there? I don't see why not.

The guy can't catch a break.

In the meantime, he's the seventh-leading scorer in the Championship.
Amen
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

IF we get to the PL old paddy isn't going to get us the goals to help us survive. Swap him with Puki and we'll have half a chance.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:19 am IF we get to the PL old paddy isn't going to get us the goals to help us survive. Swap him with Puki and we'll have half a chance.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
Pukki has found it much tougher in the prem, he's been benched a few times of late.

29 in 43 games in the championship
11 in 30 games in the premiership

We should be looking at a better quality striker than an ex-championship No.9
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 am Pukki has found it much tougher in the prem, he's been benched a few times of late.

29 in 43 games in the championship
11 in 30 games in the premiership

We should be looking at a better quality striker than an ex-championship No.9
I just checked Pukkis wages. 6k a week, or 316k a year.
Compare that to the £££££££££ Leeds have paid for Bamford, Nketiah and JKA.

Whatever the outcome this season a Director of Football should be the first thing on the shopping list.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Some 'fans' just like to continually criticise players and never relent. They keep going till they destroy that player's confidence then they say 'I told you so' when they have made him a bundle of nerves. Then years later after the player has done well for other clubs they blame the management for selling him too early, or the manager for not getting the best out of him.

Yes Bamford should have scored more goals this season. He has missed some sitters, all strikers do, he has hit the woodwork on countless occasions too. What he has done though in the last 4 games is twice open the scoring, twice scored the crucial goal as we rarely after going in front (in huge contrast to having only won once when having gone behind). Others will praise someone to high heaven for scoring goals 3 and 4 against a tired defence. If you look at the goal yesterday Bamford has already set off moving before Klich makes the tackle, he has anticipated Klich winning the ball and his run has meant he was able to get into the position to benefit. Klich's ball was superbly weighted and onto Bamford better foot but without Bamford's anticipation the chance isn't made. Too often this season chances have fallen onto Bamford's weaker foot as we lack composure when creating chances.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Amen weasel