Samu Saiz Conundrum

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Samu Saiz Conundrum

Post by Cjay »

The little Spaniard divides opinion.

This time last season he was hailed as a little gem, a bargain, some said he was the best player in the league.

However there was an underlying frustration even then.

His passing was often erratic, his habit of holding on to the ball was all to often.

But he would beat 2 or 3 players and play a great pass and then all was forgiven.

The spitting incident turned the tide even more and its possible that he has never really recovered.

There have been good games since, but there have been far more frustrating ones.

Indeed over the last 12 months he doesnt makes double figures when adding goals and assists together.

In his offensive role thats quite poor.

But then you could argue his presence creates room for others to thrive by attracting attention to him with his dribbling.

Or you could argue that he is capable of great moments, the pass to Berardi vs Blackburn for example.

But the stats dont make good reading, 2 assists in 14 league games as a number 10 is poor.

He averages less passes then Klich and Pablo Hernandez and yet his passing accuracy is worse then both.

He is the most dispossessed player by nearly double. He is 2nd for most poor touches.

However he is 2nd best for key passes but 1st for shots taken with 0 goals in the league.

Adam Forshaw came on and made a greater impact then Saiz yesterday and even Phil Hay is suggesting the time has come for Saiz to be dropped.

There is no doubt Saiz has talent. His dribbling and ability to take the ball on the half turn is very good.

But his finishing and passing is questionable at best.

At 27 players are reaching there peak.

Is it time to give Saiz a rest and maybe the kick up the ass he needs?

Or do his positives outweigh the statistical negatives?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Re: Samu Saiz Conundrum

Post by Haighy »

I said at the game last night that I'd rest him, or drop him, for a few weeks.
He's slowly losing form every week.
However he does play better i think playing with Hernandez.
Tough call... but yes I'd rest him.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Think a little rest would do him no harm, class player, but seems to be forcing it too much and he looks frustrated, think when Pablo plays, teams have to watch him just as much which opens more space for Saiz.
Hope they both play Saturday and rip Forest apart!!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Look at the conundrum like this.. If BEILSA don't figure this out well we ain't going too.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No Saiz no first goal last night, excellent work to receive hold off a challenge and then deliver a good pass to Pablo giving him space and room to nail the cross. Stays in for me Forshaw doesn't have the attacking nous
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think id rest Saiz myself.

He has been frustrating for a while and while he has made telling contributions there has been more occasions where a good move had ended because he has over played or mishit a pass.

Also Forest away from home play 2 holding midfielders on occasion, Saiz wouldn't get a kick.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Stays in for me as well. Give him a few games with Pablo but if there's no improvement he has to be dropped, in the meantime Forshaw gets more and more match fit ready to step in full time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Forshaw for Saiz
pembswhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by pembswhite »

I think 🤔 that other championship teams would prefer to deal with Forshaw rather than the potential for brilliance that Saiz can bring . So for me he stays . He’s also far less of a tosser than last season- no major histrionics and no spitting ( that we know of )
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 pm Forshaw for Saiz
Klich for Saiz, Forshaw for Klich if we have to.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

pembswhite wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 pm I think 🤔 that other championship teams would prefer to deal with Forshaw rather than the potential for brilliance that Saiz can bring . So for me he stays . He’s also far less of a tosser than last season- no major histrionics and no spitting ( that we know of )
For me too, we're playing well and if it ain't broke ...
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I think people are looking into this too much. There is no big deal if a player doesnt start a match. I dont really see the difference between a player coming on at half time or starting the game. In a squad like Leeds and a playing style like Leeds a quick rest week may bring back his zip.
And Saiz would benefit hugely playing defenders that have played for an hour
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

My take on this, Saiz just had a rest during the international break. Agree with faaip, 1st goal was a result of Saiz attracting defenders and passing to a free Pablo.

Saiz's ability causes defenders to be drawn to him, opening up space for others. Also cannot see MB making changes, seems like he sticks with certain players, Saiz is one of them.