Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
9%
2-2 or higher
No votes
Wigan by 1 goal
No votes
Leeds by 1
55%
Wigan by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
No votes
Wigan by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
36%

Total votes: 11

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Wasn't able to see the game today, but it sounds a far more convincing win and performance than perhaps a 2-1 scoreline would suggest :tup:

:moggy:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Once again we dominated possession & played some scintillating football but failed to capitalise on taking a woeful Wigan side to the cleaners, once we were gifted a second goal the floodgates should have opened & Leeds fans should have witnessed a battering our slick football warranted. A win is a win & three points is great but we need to be more clinical in front of goal.

Positives

Our general play is so pleasing on the eye.
Hernandez's performance.
A masterclass from Phillips, hardly put a foot wrong.
Our first goal.
Defending better at corners
Coming from behind to win the game
Three points.
We're top of the league. :whistle:

Negatives

Conceding from yet another set-piece.
Not finishing off a poor Wigan side, would have been an injustice had the Latics equalised
Yet another poor referee

Ratings

6 Peacock- Farrell
7 Dallas
7 Jansson
9 Phillips
7 Cooper
8 Douglas
9 Hernandez
7 Forshaw
8 Klich
7 Alioski
7 Roofe
n/a Shackleton
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 pm Annoyed me no end how Sky kept making excuses about Wigan's injuries, yet when we're missing key players we're told we have no depth.
Did Sky mention that we have Ayling, Berardi & Bamford out for the best part of this season ?
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

A very professional performance today, showed excellent character to pick up more points from a losing position and Wigan never really looked like scoring after we got the 2nd.
Top of the table and it's totally deserved.
Player Ratings:
Peacock-Farrell- Probably can't do much about the goal having watched it again even if he had positioned himself better but didn't have the best of games never looked comfortable. 5/10
Dallas- Nice and solid performance. 7/10
Jansson- Typical Pontus proactive in his defending and dealt with everything he had to wasn't tested very much though. 7/10
Cooper- A couple of nervous moments but all in all solid performance. 7/10
Douglas- Makes a real difference faultless defensively and his set pieces are always spot on. 7/10
Phillips- Man Of The Match, Brilliant just absolutely brilliant his positioning was spot on throughout and use of the ball exceptional too. 8/10
Hernandez- Gets himself another goal and another game where he was involved throughout, bizarrely I felt his final pass let him down a bit today as he got himself into so many good positions. 7/10
Klich- What a player :love: the movement and awareness for the first goal was incredible, was a key part of our best spell of the game. A less effective second half. 7/10
Forshaw- Passing let him down a little bit today, offered a good balance to the midfield and some good pressing but an average game today. 6/10
Alioski- Disappointing again really improved in the second half and finished the game well but expected more from Alioski with Douglas back in the side. 5/10
Roofe- Some lovely link up play and got himself another goal. 7/10
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Didn't see the match ( holiday in Sri Lanka). So thanks for the reports chaps.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:57 am A very professional performance today, showed excellent character to pick up more points from a losing position and Wigan never really looked like scoring after we got the 2nd.
Top of the table and it's totally deserved.
Player Ratings:
Peacock-Farrell- Probably can't do much about the goal having watched it again even if he had positioned himself better but didn't have the best of games never looked comfortable. 5/10
Dallas- Nice and solid performance. 7/10
Jansson- Typical Pontus proactive in his defending and dealt with everything he had to wasn't tested very much though. 7/10
Cooper- A couple of nervous moments but all in all solid performance. 7/10
Douglas- Makes a real difference faultless defensively and his set pieces are always spot on. 7/10
Phillips- Man Of The Match, Brilliant just absolutely brilliant his positioning was spot on throughout and use of the ball exceptional too. 8/10
Hernandez- Gets himself another goal and another game where he was involved throughout, bizarrely I felt his final pass let him down a bit today as he got himself into so many good positions. 7/10
Klich- What a player :love: the movement and awareness for the first goal was incredible, was a key part of our best spell of the game. A less effective second half. 7/10
Forshaw- Passing let him down a little bit today, offered a good balance to the midfield and some good pressing but an average game today. 6/10
Alioski- Disappointing again really improved in the second half and finished the game well but expected more from Alioski with Douglas back in the side. 5/10
Roofe- Some lovely link up play and got himself another goal. 7/10
That's my boy :tup:

Man of the Match

Sky
Our coach just ahead of Pablo
Clear 2nd to Pablo on Waccoe
Clear 2nd with 23 votes only two behind Pablo on LeedsTalk
2nd on MOT (I think)

Proving his doubters wrong once again :-D
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Looking at the goal we conceded I would put far more blame on the wall, and in particular Douglas and Forshaw, than BPF. Keepers tend to leave a larger area open and expect the wall to block that, barring a majestic freekick. The freekick was a very average one going through the wall with Douglas and Forshaw breaking from the wall and the ball going through around chest height.

I think there has not been enough praise for Klich's contribution to our equaliser. The composure he showed to wait and wait before picking out the perfect pass was exceptional as probably 99% that a player gets in that position they simply lash a ball across the box rather than being able to pick out the pass. I feel he had been a bit quieter of late but perhaps Forshaw playing, and being more defensive, has freed him up a bit as he seemed to be popping up all over the place.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:25 am Looking at the goal we conceded I would put far more blame on the wall, and in particular Douglas and Forshaw, than BPF. Keepers tend to leave a larger area open and expect the wall to block that, barring a majestic freekick. The freekick was a very average one going through the wall with Douglas and Forshaw breaking from the wall and the ball going through around chest height.

I think there has not been enough praise for Klich's contribution to our equaliser. The composure he showed to wait and wait before picking out the perfect pass was exceptional as probably 99% that a player gets in that position they simply lash a ball across the box rather than being able to pick out the pass. I feel he had been a bit quieter of late but perhaps Forshaw playing, and being more defensive, has freed him up a bit as he seemed to be popping up all over the place.
One of my positives in my match report was 'Our first goal' referring to the initial pass which i think was Alioski or Douglas & the composure of Klich perfectly picking out Pablo as he made his run from deep for a superb equaliser, sublime move that came off for a change. Right players on the ball in those areas I suppose, so many moves break down because certain players take one touch too many or the final ball is poor !
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

How many times have guys on here said we should have buried this team or that as they are absolute garbage, maybe time for you doubters to take a step back and think actually we are making them look garage by playing them off the park!!!!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 am One of my positives in my match report was 'Our first goal' referring to the initial pass which i think was Alioski or Douglas & the composure of Klich perfectly picking out Pablo as he made his run from deep for a superb equaliser, sublime move that came off for a change. Right players on the ball in those areas I suppose, so many moves break down because certain players take one touch too many or the final ball is poor !
Indeed. Annoys me when commentators praise a player for putting a cross in and they use the line similar to "a great cross but there was nobody there to finish it." Well it isn't a great cross because it was put in blind and the player should have looked up and had the composure to wait which is what Klich did. He waited for the defenders to move and waited for the exact moment the pass was on and then he had the skill to put it in the right place too - so many players mishit the short passes because there is little margin for error (as opposed to hitting a 50 yard pass the receiving player has time to move a couple of yards either way to receive the ball or can run onto it etc).
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

In praise of Douglas
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think that's right, the best crosses are about anticipation. I agree a cross with the other 10 guys still in their own half is pointless but a cross into dangerous areas at a good height and speed should allow for the attacker to move into it...If a crosser tries to hit a static player it becomes too easy to defend and the attacker can get no power into it.

Klich to Pablo was a pass anyway not a cross
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Paul Cook Post Leeds interview.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am Indeed. Annoys me when commentators praise a player for putting a cross in and they use the line similar to "a great cross but there was nobody there to finish it." Well it isn't a great cross because it was put in blind and the player should have looked up and had the composure to wait which is what Klich did. He waited for the defenders to move and waited for the exact moment the pass was on and then he had the skill to put it in the right place too - so many players mishit the short passes because there is little margin for error (as opposed to hitting a 50 yard pass the receiving player has time to move a couple of yards either way to receive the ball or can run onto it etc).
Indeed :tup:
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

dezzy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:05 pm Captain chaos?? You realize we went top of the league today? Beating a team unbeaten at home? Why do some people give players such a hard time?
I do of course know we went top of the league and beating a team unbeaten at home. Doesn't change my opinion one iota of Cooper yesterday. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am I don't think that's right, the best crosses are about anticipation. I agree a cross with the other 10 guys still in their own half is pointless but a cross into dangerous areas at a good height and speed should allow for the attacker to move into it...If a crosser tries to hit a static player it becomes too easy to defend and the attacker can get no power into it.

Klich to Pablo was a pass anyway not a cross
My point was that a cross into a dangerous area even at good height and good speed is no good if none of your teammates have a chance to get to it regardless of their anticipation. A cross can be brilliantly delivered but if no one has a chance of getting to it then it is simply a waste of possession.

Klich's final ball was a pass indeed because he made it that way rather than just hitting a speculative cross - that was the point I was getting at.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Haighy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 am Didn't see the match ( holiday in Sri Lanka). So thanks for the reports chaps.
Are you going to watch any Sri Lanka v England cricket Haighy?....
Have a good holiday :)
hector

Post by hector »

how can he have a good holiday if he is bored rigid watching a bunch of people loafing round a green patch and throwing balls at each other??

Have a word with yourself Duckie

;-)

:)
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:21 pm how can he have a good holiday if he is bored rigid watching a bunch of people loafing round a green patch and throwing balls at each other??

Have a word with yourself Duckie

;-)

:)
Tbf, even that's more enthralling than, Strictly. :)