Top Euro Clubs Breakaway

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Top Euro Clubs Breakaway

Post by 1964white »

Top European clubs have held secret talks to create a European Super League, according to a report by German publication Der Spiege

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

Thoughts that come to mind

Greed.

No consideration for the travelling fans as it would cost a massive fortune to follow your club all around Europe.

Home matchday prices would no doubt increase

Does the Champions League as we know it become defunct

Advantages from our perspectve

If we gain promotion. without the top five we could win the premiership.

CHAMPIONS again :celeb:
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Re: Top Euro Clubs Breakaway

Post by leic white 63 »

wouldnt be surprised been on the cards for years. unfortunately money as ruined the game i have loved since i was a kid. f**k the greedy c**ts .
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Bye bye to the lot of greedy f**kers can’t be arsed watching the Champions League so won’t be watching this either
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

To be honest I think fans of teams outside the 'Big 6' will say good riddance and enjoy spending your life travelling around Europe.
BT Sports coverage of the Champions League has already killed most people's interest in it anyway. I was already paying a small fortune for Sky and wasn't about to pay more for something I have no interest in. I haven't missed not being able to watch Champions League football one bit.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This makes sense to me in this day and age ...I'd imagine it would have to be set up like the NFL with no promotion to this league so a closed shop. 18 teams min ? Or there's not enough football.

logistically intriguing as well...would teams lose their place in the cups leaving the fans with just Europe League football to watch ? I'd guess they'd have to renew talent from the "local" leagues too meaning they'd probably have to pay well over the odds (Would a baseball type system be needed where by these "massive" teams keep a 25 man squad and then pay for their reserves to play in the Prem or Champ. ...or lower. Could/would the big clubs own teams as feeder clubs...

Which English super powers would be left out ? Unless it's a 24 team division or a two tier thing (the latter kinda defeats the purpose but too big a league could be problematic) In an 18-20 team euro league there's no room for all of CHE/MC/MU/LIV/ARS maybe TOT. I'd assume 3 from each of the major players ENG/GER/ITA/SPA and FRA...15 and 5 singles from the likes of Portugal (Benfica), Holland (Ajax) maybe BEL (Anderlecht) ..

This will be fun to watch unfold if it happens ...FL got s**t on by the FA when they started the Prem...now it'll be their turn. The Prem loses it's place as the foremost league for viewing figures ...money dwindles from TV a little, I'd imaging prize money would (eventually) suffer in the prem, parachute payments may become less bloated ...

...interesting
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Was only a matter of time, on a positive note it will make the premiership a much more level playing field, will allow us to be more successful when we get back to the top flight, however diluted it may seem.
But in reality it won’t be a good team, as it will be a closed shop fir anyone else to join, unless it has a relegation built in, where the winners of the domestic competition swap in fir the lowest ranking side from each country. But if you think going from the championship into the premiership is tough, imagine the money you would have to spend to compete in a European Super League!!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

I'd love them to do this because I think it would really flop! I think the thing is with the big games they are so few during a season that it excited people. Playing Milan, real Madrid, barca or someone similar every week takes away from it being a special game. Each game will just be another game.

I think it would help level the premier league and while it may struggle in the short term, would benefit it in the long run.

Also don't think it will ever happen besides a kind of summer tournament which noone will care about.