The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Nov)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Nov)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds came from behind at the DW Stadium yesterday to soar back to top of the Championship thanks to goals from Hernandez and Roofe in front of almost 5000 Leeds fans.

In fact Leeds were only behind for three minutes when Klitch teed up our Spanish maestro to draw level.

Should Peacock Farrell have done better against Bolton's opener?

Did the Leeds fall do its job?

Bielsa was asked whether the number of injuries Leeds have been suffering is down to his training regime.

The Argentine said muscle injuries would indicate that, but most of the injuries Leeds have suffered haven't been of that nature.

Essentially, doesn't feel he is pushing the players too hard.

BUT, does Bielsa's training schedule make the players more susceptible to injury?

It was Alioski's turn again to be the latest target of the Elland Road boo boys!

Whilst the Macedonian didn't set the World alight, does he deserve the criticism?

Once again, Leeds dominated the stats with 67% possession, yet they only scored twice, and won by the narrowest of margins!

Do Leeds need to invest in another top striker in the January transfer window?

Saying that, Leeds have the best goal difference in the division by some way!!!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Nov)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB

The free-kick was superbly struck by the Wigan player. You cannot blame the keeper or the wall, such goals just happen.

Any fans booing any of our players with the way the team has been performing are idiots.

I do think we need a striker to add to a goal-scoring potential. We do have the best goal difference but we can put that down to our consisting defending as a team and the flurry of goals early on. Having said that, there was nothing wrong with our attempts on goal against Wigan or our ability to open them up, a bit of luck and we could have had four.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds came from behind at the DW Stadium yesterday to soar back to top of the Championship thanks to goals from Hernandez and Roofe in front of almost 5000 Leeds fans.

In fact Leeds were only behind for three minutes when Klitch teed up our Spanish maestro to draw level.

Should Peacock Farrell have done better against Bolton's opener? NO

Did the Leeds fall do its job? Probably not but that's the nature of walls

Bielsa was asked whether the number of injuries Leeds have been suffering is down to his training regime.

The Argentine said muscle injuries would indicate that, but most of the injuries Leeds have suffered haven't been of that nature.

BUT, does Bielsa's training schedule make the players more susceptible to injury? NO

It was Alioski's turn again to be the latest target of the Elland Road boo boys!

Whilst the Macedonian didn't set the World alight, does he deserve the criticism? - LUFC Boo Boys have a 0% success rate, they're basically mindless morons..

Once again, Leeds dominated the stats with 67% possession, yet they only scored twice, and won by the narrowest of margins!

Do Leeds need to invest in another top striker in the January transfer window? - NO - unless Bamford done for the season and Brown too, then we could throw a couple of mill at the position. Lets not Ridsdale this please

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

I personally thought Alioski had a half decent game yesterday. He dovetails with Douglas nicely and his effort can't be faulted.
Get off the guys back. (Aimed at the boo boys not anybody on here)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am Good Morning Everyone

Did the Leeds fall do its job?

BUT, does Bielsa's training schedule make the players more susceptible to injury?

Whilst the Macedonian didn't set the World alight, does he deserve the criticism?

I thought the wall was more to blame, the fk was decent but it barely cleared a wall that did very little to stop it. Once it cleared the wall BPF was always in trouble. So don't blame him for the goal but he still worries me.

There was an interesting discussion on the radio yesterday about how Klopp seemed to get a lot of similar injuries when he started at Liverpool and how it took the players, and their bodies, a wile to adapt to the increased demands but that now the players are better at coping with the rigours of that style of play. Most of the top teams play a similar style and they do not seem to have a greater level of injuries than any other teams - hopefully our squad can adapt too.

Ali did ok yesterday but again a couple of instances where he was frustratingly offside. His workrate can never be faulted and he does seem to have a knack of being involved in our goals. I can understand some of the frustrations but none of the team at present are playing below a 6.5 out of 10 every week, so hard to moan at any of them too much. Most interesting point for me with Ali is that he had his best game this season playing at WB....

When Bamford is fit we don't need another striker, Roberts did ok when he came in but I didn't feel his allround game was anywhere near the level of Roofe. Keemar having a great season and clear no1 choice at the moment, he is one of those players from last season that have really thrived and improved under MB (as I believe Cooper and Phillips have also done).

It is baffling how we don't convert more chances though, take the Pablo one back of the post to Shackleton, just seem not to be getting the rub of the green in front of goal - and we are still top. The way we have played I think with a touch more luck we could be 6/7 points clear. Still haven't seen a team any better than is this season, big test at the weekend though.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Should Peacock Farrell have done better against Bolton's opener? Possibly given that it wasn't top corner but...

Did the Leeds wall do its job? No - complete failure with Douglas and Forshaw allowing themselves to be pulled from their position and the ball going through the gap, at chest height, where they should have been.

Does Bielsa's training schedule make the players more susceptible to injury? It can do but like Bielsa said that would leave them prone to muscle injuries. The championship schedule makes the players prone to injuries.

No - whilst his end product could be better he gives absolutely everything for the manager and the team and I am not surprised he is always picked.

Do Leeds need to invest in another top striker in the January transfer window? No, Roofe's goal return is decent for a striker. What we need is more players chipping in with goals. We should have Bamford available too and possibly Brown. Hopefully that will see us increase our taking of chances.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Isn't bottom corner curling in harder to reach than top corner? Especially for big keepers. Greatest save of all time was Banks at the foot of the post from Pele
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Let the haters boo Alioski! I’m sure they’ll be the first ones online love bombing him next time he knocks a few goals in!
We seem to have a few players more prone to stick than others?
Cooper Dallas and Alioski seem to be the main guys who get it after a poor game, Phillips and Roofe last season to name a few. Now they are stars! Who would’ve thought that? Not me anyway! Not to such high, consistent standards, in fairness to Faaip he called Roofe correctly! Never thought he would be more than a solid back up player this year.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Stop this... it is just becoming silly

Did the Leeds wall do its job?
Humpty dumpty kew all about walls.. you should ask him.

Does Bielsa's training schedule make the players more susceptible to injury?
Give over will you... did you hear Paul Cook complain about the injuries to his Wigan squad... NO... injuries are part
and parcel of the game. Don't blame Bielsa

Give the boy a break... he has changed his hairstyle... what more do you want... a tough tackler... eh???
He does that and more though he is as light as a feather in the wind, and he has a lovely smile.

Of course not... don't be silly now. I don't know where all these negative thoughts come from.
Oh I forgot it is the apprehension that comes from being top of the league and playing
scintillating football... it worries the hell out of Leeds supporters for we are not used to it.
and when we are unsure and flummoxed by the success of the team, instead of rejoicing
and enjoying it, we regress to the behaviours that have been ingrained in us over the past 15
years. Stop being Chicken Littles running around crying the sky is falling. It is not. The sun is
shining brighter than it has even been. Enjoy it.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

top ranting Rab!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Klich was brilliant yesterday and his role in the goal was class, the run, the composure, it was lovely.

I thought he should yes, he sets the wall up, it should have been further to the left, that way the head height shot wouldn't have made it over the wall, he doesnt convince me and i know he is young but we should have got a better goalie in the summer.

For muscle injuries yes it does, but hey ho.

Ali is very underappreciated, he works harder then anyone, he wins a surprising amount of headers, he is a constant pest to the opposition, he scores goals and has officially created more chances then any other Leeds player.

Maybe, i would like us to have a different sort of striker, more target man.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think we'll do well to find a better target man than Roofe for not much money, I get the height prejudice but he heads the ball better than a Chris Wood (Couple of nice flick ons and I'll say again an awesome controlled cushioned headed pass from what was basically a kick as hard as you can clearance which must have reached him at 40 mph, yesterday) Holds play up as well as anyone with his back to goal, seldom loses possession, makes the lay off however simple...possibly the best short passer in the team (You all read how difficult a skill that is from Weasel) Quick feet, high football IQ, that snap shot yesterday with no room to move, though off target, probably isn't gotten away by anyone else in the team...God knows what he would have done with all that space Alio had for his good chance. That fell to the wrong person.

A class above Beckford for me ....

After him we have Bamford to come back. 10 Mill he cost us and looks well worth it, then we have Roberts who's goals to games ain't to bad ...then Clarke he could play up front in a pinch, Then the powerhouse Edmondson, he's something a little different I guess...oh and Izzy Brown apparently can play up front, and I'm told he could be the best of the bunch

We're in a good position right now ...(probably 10 places and 10 points ahead of where we should be ...7 points ahead of TC at the same point) Lets not Ridsdale this by spending 5-10 mill (that's what a proven striker will cost) on a loaded position. Besides we all know MB will just sit him on the bench till Roofe, Bamford, Roberts are done for the season ...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 pm Think we'll do well to find a better target man than Roofe for not much money, I get the height prejudice but he heads the ball better than a Chris Wood (Couple of nice flick ons and I'll say again an awesome controlled cushioned headed pass from what was basically a kick as hard as you can clearance which must have reached him at 40 mph, yesterday) Holds play up as well as anyone with his back to goal, seldom loses possession, makes the lay off however simple...possibly the best short passer in the team (You all read how difficult a skill that is from Weasel) Quick feet, high football IQ, that snap shot yesterday with no room to move, though off target, probably isn't gotten away by anyone else in the team...God knows what he would have done with all that space Alio had for his good chance. That fell to the wrong person.

A class above Beckford for me ....

After him we have Bamford to come back. 10 Mill he cost us and looks well worth it, then we have Roberts who's goals to games ain't to bad ...then Clarke he could play up front in a pinch, Then the powerhouse Edmondson, he's something a little different I guess...oh and Izzy Brown apparently can play up front, and I'm told he could be the best of the bunch

We're in a good position right now ...(probably 10 places and 10 points ahead of where we should be ...7 points ahead of TC at the same point) Lets not Ridsdale this by spending 5-10 mill (that's what a proven striker will cost) on a loaded position. Besides we all know MB will just sit him on the bench till Roofe, Bamford, Roberts are done for the season ...
Edmondson may be the answer, he is the sort of striker bielsa traditionally likes. Its not a knock on Roofe just sometimes especially against teams that sit back we struggle to break them down.

Unless the pass is perfect or the cross its very difficult for Roofe who isnt going to be able to battle a 6ft3cb for a header, wouldn't expect him to.

Mentioned Llorente before, Fulham signed Mitrovic.

Its nice to have that sort of option which aside from maybe Edmondson we dont have.

Roofe has done very well, his movement, his quick feet is very good.

But sometimes itd be nice to have that target man to cross for, where the crosses dont havs to be so pin point.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's still not a good argument for buying another striker ..it's right out of the Ridsdale school of football economics. Roofe starts till he doesn't, I don't see any way a new guy comes in over him.

I agree we need a centre back, I think of any position that's the one that needs addressing in Jan ...assuming MB hasn't already got a cover plan. But that's it for me.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I'm with Rab. This is the best we've seen a Leeds side play in a very long time, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Don't understand any "fan" who boos his own side, especially players who are so clearly giving an immense effort as Alioski does all the time.

Don't think BPF deserves much criticism for the goal. Just a well struck free kick. If I had to make a criticism, it would be for the cheap foul that gave them the free kick in a dangerous spot in the first place.

Still, we went in to a house that is an exceedingly difficult place to take points and came away with all three. Every player worked exceedingly hard and we dominated the game. Sure, we could have won by more, but so what? Three points away from Elland Road bring us top of the table. What's not to like?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:51 pm Still, we went in to a house that is an exceedingly difficult place to take points and came away with all three. Every player worked exceedingly hard and we dominated the game. Sure, we could have won by more, but so what? Three points away from Elland Road bring us top of the table. What's not to like?
Wigan were unbeaten at home in God knows how long, and the cameras were always
focusing on the chairman Dave Whelan who had just retired. I think the whole Wigan
team were desperate to send him off with a win.

At the end of the game the the cameras caught him saying something and the commentator
provided some lip reading and what he said was "What a shame"

I wonder what other dreams Leeds will shatter this season... and how many dreams they will
make come true. It was the best of times... it was the worst of times as Mr Dickins said
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 am Isn't bottom corner curling in harder to reach than top corner? Especially for big keepers. Greatest save of all time was Banks at the foot of the post from Pele
It wasn't bottom corner or top corner - ordinarily a saveable height if it was a normal shot however it shouldn't have come through the wall so he wouldn't have been expecting it which is why I would attach no blame to BPF. If the wall stood its ground then the shot hits the wall and rebounds to safety. Forshaw and Douglas should be thoroughly embarrassed.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:52 pm I thought he should yes, he sets the wall up, it should have been further to the left, that way the head height shot wouldn't have made it over the wall, he doesnt convince me and i know he is young but we should have got a better goalie in the summer.
Wall was in the right position but Forshaw and Douglas allowed themselves to be dragged out of it and it went through the gap where they should have been. The freekick didn't go over, under or round the wall. As such I can't say whether the wall was in the correct place or not but if the 2 players didn't move then the wall would have done its job and blocked the shot.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Evening Everyone. Sorry I havn't been replying much. Work is hectic, and senior Management are about!!!
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:21 pm Evening Everyone. Sorry I havn't been replying much. Work is hectic, and senior Management are about!!!
Head down when the big bosses are around!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..