So are we still gonna fall apart ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

So are we still gonna fall apart ?

Post by 1964white »

Some fans keep telling me we'll follow last season's downward trend

Still looking fine to me, not as good as the eventual champions though

Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 07.45.56.png
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: So are we still gonna fall apart ?

Post by weasel »

The main thing for me this season is that there are no standout teams that look capable of securing 100pts as such promotion is wide open and from what I have seen so far we have as good a chance as any team and possibly better than any other team. I don't see us as getting anywhere near the amount of points to run away with the title and ease to promotion (it isn't the Leeds way anyway!) but we look capable of getting points when not at our best and hopefully having a few purple patches where we can string a few wins together. If we had a real killer instinct and tightened up from set pieces then we would be almost certain to go up and hopefully when Bamford and Brown come back from injury they will help us out attacking wise, and possibly even Bamford's height can help us at the back in the way Chris Wood did during Monk's season.

We haven't hit the heights that we did v Derby and Stoke, possibly v Norwich, but a lot of the time the champagne football is dependant on the scoreline and how it affects the opposition (i.e. if we are in front and the opposition has to attack us it gives us more space in which to turn their attacks into our attacks). We need to stop conceding early goals and hopefully start scoring early ourselves.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

As I was saying last week, we'd already fallen well off the pace this time last season and were chasing play offs at best, so nowhere near comparable to now. There's no stand out team like Wolves and every team has weaknesses, not just us.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

I don’t think we are that far off Wolves last season and have been the best team so far fully worthy of our top spot. No way we would do promotion with 3 games to spare though, just not our way :lol:

Interesting there’s no Fulham on that caption, often a team that finishes like a train and manages to get up.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Interesting to see the table from last year.
If just two of our draws had been wins we would almost be on a par points wise.
Wolves had lost three games though.
As Weasel said, no team will run away with it this season. Form comes and goes. Look at Norwich, who would have said they would be where they are now when we beat them?
As long as the injury situation doesn't become a crisis we have more than enough to finish comfortably inside the top 6.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We'd be fourth on that table. Just goes to show how crap draws are, Blunts above Bristol City despite losing 5 to just 2.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So far so good ...but never count your chickens and all that. Anything can happen in the next half hour.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 am I don’t think we are that far off Wolves last season and have been the best team so far fully worthy of our top spot. No way we would do promotion with 3 games to spare though, just not our way :lol:

Interesting there’s no Fulham on that caption, often a team that finishes like a train and manages to get up.
Fulham were way down the league even though they were playing lovely football, a bit like us at times not finishing off or winning when controlling & dominating games. Mitrovic was the key unlocking the door when they signed him in January
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Draws are the issue.

Lack of a cutting edge, giving away sloppy goals at set pieces.

Injuries have of course played there part.

How would Wolves have done had they lost Bonatini, Jota, Boly etc for 5 or 6 games?

I think we are as good as Wolves tbh, i really do.

WOnder goal vs Wednesday, awful from BPF vs Birmingham, thats 3 more points there

Fine margins, combined with injuries Wolves didnt have to cope with, they never lost any of there key players for long.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Points to tight to mention.
5th before the Wigan game
top of the league after the Wigan game.
It could go on like this all season.
With the deck being shuffled between
the top 6 teams.
gessa

Post by gessa »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:36 pm Points to tight to mention.
the top 6 teams.
Think it's 5 different teams have topped the division in the last 3 weeks. We have the most difficult game of the top 6 over the weekend, so it could all change again.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

gessa wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm Think it's 5 different teams have topped the division in the last 3 weeks. We have the most difficult game of the top 6 over the weekend, so it could all change again.
That's mostly down to kick off times though. Had we played Saturday 3pm, Norwich wouldn't have gone top.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm That's mostly down to kick off times though. Had we played Saturday 3pm, Norwich wouldn't have gone top.

True dat :tup:
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

gessa wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm Think it's 5 different teams have topped the division in the last 3 weeks. We have the most difficult game of the top 6 over the weekend, so it could all change again.
Tough game at Albion but it’s a good time to play them, it’s a Sheffield derby where form will go out of the window and as we know anyone can get beat in this league , all we can control is our own result so come on Leeds, I am traveling to the game Saturday and feeling super confident MOT
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm That's mostly down to kick off times though. Had we played Saturday 3pm, Norwich wouldn't have gone top.
Good point SG

Once again Sky are making a mockery of football, traditions gone by the wayside :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:36 pm Points to tight to mention.
the top 6 teams.
Frustrating thing is Rab we are playing the best football over the others by a country mile
1964white

Post by 1964white »

That table shows apart from Bristol City we have lost less games than the other ten clubs at this stage of this season.

As Cjay has already posted we've drawn too many games, the majority of them occurred when we were without Hernandez & Roofe or no proper CB available in one of those draws
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm Draws are the issue.

Lack of a cutting edge, giving away sloppy goals at set pieces.

Injuries have of course played there part.

How would Wolves have done had they lost Bonatini, Jota, Boly etc for 5 or 6 games?

I think we are as good as Wolves tbh, i really do.

WOnder goal vs Wednesday, awful from BPF vs Birmingham, thats 3 more points there

Fine margins, combined with injuries Wolves didnt have to cope with, they never lost any of there key players for long.
Didn't Wolves spend £50m on their squad Cjay ?

Amazing how we are only 5 points behind their total at this stage, as you say they were relatively free of injures whilst accumulating those 35 points
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm Didn't Wolves spend £50m on their squad Cjay ?

Amazing how we are only 5 points behind their total at this stage, as you say they were relatively free of injures whilst accumulating those 35 points
Something like that over 2 seasons, 13mil on Helder Costa, 15mil on Neves and 8mil on Cavaleiro alone.

And Mendes getting them his clients on loan like Jota and Boly, all very dodgy but hey ho.

It is its very impressive, and many of our opponents have said our football is better, perhaps just lacking the overall quality that Wolves had individually.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Best thing is that apart from Douglas it is the same side or you could argue with BPF that the net intake is zero for the first team and yet the football is a revelation
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains