The Beautiful Game

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

The Beautiful Game

Post by Cjay » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Posted this on the WBA thread, upon consideration i thought it was such a brilliant quote that it deserved its own thread.

Marcelo Bielsa on providing an entertaining style of play.

"When a team doesn't get what it deserves, sooner or later the fans punish the lack of results. The lack of tolerance regarding results is stronger than the lack of tolerance when style is not beautiful."

"When clubs are owned by private people, results are more important than anything. But the most attractive thing in football is the beauty of the game."

"But people who invest in football should take precautions because when a team plays bad, you have less fans who want to watch them. A coach like Guardiola, he plays well and wins and he increases the value of the club where he works and the players he has."

"The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it."

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Re: The Beautiful Game

Post by rab_rant » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:43 pm

He usually states the simple but makes it sound profound-
Like the best form of defence is attack.
There is no attack without the ball.

It would seem that possession is the name of the game.
THe more you have the ball the less chance the opposition has to score
and the more chance you have to score, so it is all about keeping the ball
or winning it back.

Genius in it's simplicity
Scottish Steel and Irish Fire that's the weapon I desire.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Results are the be all and end all at the end of the day.

If Bielsa doesnt get results eventually the fanbase will turn etc.

But when i watched Forest, Birmingham, Boro etc against us i felt really sorry for there fans.

Yes they got points off us, but for 90% of the game there sides did nothing.

Sit back, hoof, etc.

It must be so dull to watch.

Regardless of what happens we know how we will play.

We know that we will make chances, we will play good football at some point in a game, we will probably score and we will enjoy the style.

Whether we win or not its infinitely more preferable to a win at all costs style imo.

Remember Jose beating Pep Inter vs Barcelona.

2nd leg was a masterclass in shutting down the opposition from Jose.

But my god it was dull.

Bielsa will be defined by his results in the end.

But id rather watch us lose or draw with style then win lose or draw with absolute minimum attacking intention.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 am

Profound and worthy thread - sickening to have to watch the ugly game. Yes, unattractive wins will be savoured, but much of the game has descended to the level of Euro 2016, with its 3rd place group stage qualifiers inviting the Jose approach. We eventually get what we deserve.