Playlist over the last week.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: Playlist for Yesterday/Today

Post by hector »

Ditto
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
gessa

Post by gessa »

The Barr Brothers- Queens Of The Breakers.
The National - Sleep Well Beast
The Gutter Twins - Adorata
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

This evening:
Everything But The Girl - Baby, The Stars Shine Bright (bit of a Uni days album)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The 2018 album by Natalie Prass 'The Future & The Past'

This week's CD in the car :car:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sweet 'Ballroom Blitz : The Very Best Of'
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 pm Sweet 'Ballroom Blitz : The Very Best Of'
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
hector

Post by hector »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
Ditto :tup:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm Music is of course a subjective choice.
Midlake's popularity on here is in no question.
I find them dull and uninspiring.
Am I the only one?

No ...and I actually bought Courage of Others ...Some albums are grower and not often accessible from just one listen, Courage is not one of them, I liked it less after 3 listens and I always know what will grow on me even after one listen..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Ian McNabb Truth and Beauty......My album CD of all time
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

This evening an album I haven't put on the turntable for that long I can't remember:
Stray Cats - Back in the Alley (Best of)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

ELO 'Out Of The Blue'
Smiths 'Meat Is Murder'
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 pm ELO 'Out Of The Blue'
Smiths 'Meat Is Murder'
ELO - a proper classic (in the blue vinyl gatefold) :)

I did pick up a charity shop ELO CD a few weeks ago that I hadn't come across before - 'The Night The Light Went On In Long Beach'
Although a 1998 CD a recording from 1974.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:29 pm Ian McNabb Truth and Beauty......My album CD of all time
I was intrigued with your comment Dalton so I had to give this album a listen which I've missed somewhere down the line

Loving it so much it's gone to the top of my purchase list

The title track is absolutely stunning, also McNabb covers one of my favourite songs 'Caroline No'

I need to go back to the beginning & listen to this album again

Thanks Dalton :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:01 pm ELO - a proper classic (in the blue vinyl gatefold) :)

I did pick up a charity shop ELO CD a few weeks ago that I hadn't come across before - 'The Night The Light Went On In Long Beach'
Although a 1998 CD a recording from 1974.
Even though I worked in the music business from the early 70's until 1997 I can't recall this ELO album.

This explains why :

Background and limited release
This live album was intended as the follow-up to On the Third Day, but the original recording was marred by technical issues both on and off the stage. The problems started when the truck carrying the band's equipment broke down en route to the venue, and the band did not have enough time to perform a proper soundcheck before the concert.[5]

Initial vinyl pressings of the album were of such poor quality that ELO's management eventually filed a lawsuit against the production company for compensation. The garish gatefold sleeve of the original album, designed by Mick Haggerty, showed a cartoony 1950s-era horror film mob running in terror from an unseen source of light, with the album's title scrawled across the sleeve. The inside held distorted photos of the band performing onstage.

Ultimately, both ELO's UK and US labels decided against issuing The Night the Light Went On in Long Beach. It only achieved "legitimate" release in Germany and a handful of other countries, although it was eventually issued in the UK in 1985. It was never released in the US (although it was heavily imported into the US as an import, and sold quite well in the specialty rock music shops around the country). However, in the US, the live version of "10538 Overture" from this recording was later used as the B-side for the ELO single "Evil Woman" from the studio album Face the Music. The live version of "Roll Over Beethoven" from Long Beach saw limited release in the US on the B-side of the alternate version of "Telephone Line" in the CBS Hall of Fame 45 re-issue series.

Restoration
A 1990s CD remastering and reissue corrected the poor sound quality of the original album and restored several songs to their full-length versions. It was discovered that the original LP pressing had been mastered using an inferior copy of the concert (according to the CD's liner notes, the tape used had been marked 'Rough Mix, Do Not Use'), hence its muddy sound. However, the original master tape was discovered in the record company's vault, and the album was restored to its intended sound quality.

The album is notable for being the sole live recording of ELO released during their initial period of activity.

Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 21.09.11.png
Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 21.09.11.png (203.2 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 pm No ...and I actually bought Courage of Others ...Some albums are grower and not often accessible from just one listen, Courage is not one of them, I liked it less after 3 listens and I always know what will grow on me even after one listen..
It grew on me :lol:
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 pm No ...and I actually bought Courage of Others ...Some albums are grower and not often accessible from just one listen, Courage is not one of them, I liked it less after 3 listens and I always know what will grow on me even after one listen..
It's funny, but that really was the same for me. I thought it was just OK after a couple of listens but after another attempt it struck me that this sounds like the same song over and over again, sung without any emotion.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:02 pm I was intrigued with your comment Dalton so I had to give this album a listen which I've missed somewhere down the line

Loving it so much it's gone to the top of my purchase list

The title track is absolutely stunning, also McNabb covers one of my favourite songs 'Caroline No'

I need to go back to the beginning & listen to this album again

Thanks Dalton :tup:
You are welcome Sir! I just think it covers so many styles and as he recorded it in Ian Broudie's studio playing all the instruments and backing vocals it is a classic! He even used a electronic drum kit!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Radiohead 'In Rainbows'
Radiohead 'A Moon Shaped Pool'
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

David Bowie - Live Santa Monica '72
1964white