FA cup

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Re: FA cup

Post by leic white 63 »

leic white 63 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:53 pm cant remember losing to sheff utd . lost to wolves in the Qf at elland rd around 96 i think.
sorry im mistaken yes lost 1-0 to sheff utd 2003.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 am I learn't my lesson 63 when Garry Monk insulted our loyal support down at Sutton with a tinpot team which included players who'd hadn't played in the first team & wer never going to make it as Leeds United footballers. Cooper had a mare & it was a costly day to forget !
Thing is it was such a horrible experience the sour taste still lingers in my mouth plus a hole in my wallet, after that I decided to kick any long journey cup game into touch. I made the right decision as Christiansen then took the p*ss down at Newport, thankfully I watched the fiasco from my armchair.

I enjoy watching Bielsa-style football so if he did play a weakened team I'm sure our current young players would provide some decent entertainment so I may make the effort for our next cup game pending on the draw

Big club home or away = Yes
Small club away = Yes
Championship or lower league club at ER = No
What about Histon '64? Another debacle.
Were you at that one? I could have been as Histon is only an hour or so from me. So glad I didn't go as not only did we lose but the weather was appalling. The game should have been postponed but because it was on TV they played it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:29 pm What about Histon '64? Another debacle.
Were you at that one? I could have been as Histon is only an hour or so from me. So glad I didn't go as not only did we lose but the weather was appalling. The game should have been postponed but because it was on TV they played it.
Yes a horrible wet day Chilli

TV is a bane in LUFC's fans lives
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:12 am Southampton away... A winnable match and I would be able to go, and then have bragging rights all round the area...

:)
Anyone but Southampton then...... :lol:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

.....only joking hector ;-). Would love that draw to happen for you :)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

lufc1304 wrote:
Not bothered, devalued competition we have no chance of winning and we haven't the squad to compete on two fronts. Home tie against one of the big guns, play well but lose and move on to the bread and butter
Agree - the game's moved on from what it used to be and it's far from worse imo.
Nothing stays the same and we are wise to accept that.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I suspect we'd play a similar team to the ones we had in the League Cup. But given our luck with injuries this season, I'd keep important players like Bamford, Brown, Phillips, Clarke etc away from it and play the likes of Kun, Dalby, Stevens etc.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Norm wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm Agree - the game's moved on from what it used to be and it's far from worse imo.
load of nonsense and old tosh imo. everytime when leeds play i want them to win who ever its against or whatever competition and whatever era its in . you buy a lottery ticket to win not to lose otherwise what is the point. don't short change the fans.
strange thing is if we ever did reach the later stages everyone will want a piece of the cake !
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 pm Clarke 1-0 !
Fantastic and one of my abiding childhood football memories 64 :-D

Unlike 2002 on that Sunday late afternoon/early evening in Cardiff, which got a little nasty at the end :cry:

Were you there for that one ? I watched it surrounded by CCFC fans in the Bob Bank :(

:moggy:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 pm Clarke 1-0 !
For me, one of the best moments of supporting Leeds United. FA cup final v Arsenal 1972. Commentator......."Jones, Clarke, one nil"...I cried I was so happy. 'Sniffer' is my all time fave player. I love the romance of the FA Cup, but unfortunately the greed of the FA and the greed of the rich clubs has tarnished this once cherished competition....and even the lower league clubs now treat this wonderful competition with disdain...."We don't care anymore just give us the money!".....but the blame lies with the FA and the richer clubs.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 am i said at the time to a mate 64 the club should have had the decency to refunded all the supporters who travelled there ticket and travel costs back.
those two games you mentioned also rochdale was embarrassing and unacceptable for leeds utd. them loses put a huge dent in our form and we never actually recovered from them..
The whole day for the Sutton game cost me £75, the fans in our supporters branch & others I know from supporters clubs were extremely angry :x we may as well have chucked our hard earn't cash down the drain, I really wished I stayed at home.

As for the Rochdale at least we fielded our first team, not good as those players didn't turn up consequently we were battered 2-0, should have been 5 or 6 tbh
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 pm .....only joking hector ;-). Would love that draw to happen for you :)
Why make it easy for Hector having a draw on his doorstep especially after taking the mickey out of you all year for watching SCD ;-)
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:26 am Why make it easy for Hector having a draw on his doorstep especially after taking the mickey out of you all year for watching SCD ;-)
you do realise '64....... this means war!!!! ;-)

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm Agree - the game's moved on from what it used to be and it's far from worse imo.
I still prefer the old days Norm

Traditional football as oppose to the plastic stuff served up these days
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 am you do realise '64....... this means war!!!! ;-)

You do realise I don't condone football violence Hector ;-) :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:59 pm Fantastic and one of my abiding childhood football memories 64 :-D

Unlike 2002 on that Sunday late afternoon/early evening in Cardiff, which got a little nasty at the end :cry:

Were you there for that one ? I watched it surrounded by CCFC fans in the Bob Bank :(

:moggy:
Fortunately I missed that game Cat. I have friends who experienced problems that day, a elderly lady & her disabled son attacked by some Cardiff yobs, then there was a fan boarding a supporters club coach attacked by a police dog. I watched the nastiness around the pitch unfold on telly which incensed me, I was fuming that day.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 am For me, one of the best moments of supporting Leeds United. FA cup final v Arsenal 1972. Commentator......."Jones, Clarke, one nil"...I cried I was so happy. 'Sniffer' is my all time fave player. I love the romance of the FA Cup, but unfortunately the greed of the FA and the greed of the rich clubs has tarnished this once cherished competition....and even the lower league clubs now treat this wonderful competition with disdain...."We don't care anymore just give us the money!".....but the blame lies with the FA and the richer clubs.
One of my emotional moments watching Leeds United Swannie

My worst emotional moment was celebrating after the Bristol Rovers promotion from League One game. I felt embarrassed as I was in tears until I turned to witness all my mates in the kop welling up, I didn't feel so daft then :verysad:
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

On the FA CUP I'd fancy Man city at Elland rd.... see how really good they really think they are. Knowing our luck it'll be Arsenal away.!
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

paddy parrott wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 am On the FA CUP I'd fancy Man city at Elland rd.... see how really good they really think they are. Knowing our luck it'll be Arsenal away.!
Mind you 1972 was seen as an away game too.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I dont mind who we play really. I think we should play a 75% first team and use the 25% for players like Shackleton, Huffer etc
Keep Saiz away from the 3rd round as we dont want him spitting, getting banned and sending our season into freefall again!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains