Malt for gessa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: Malt for gessa

Post by hector »

When did that happen then?? :shock:

seems like he is a man after my own heart :tup:

:) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 pm To be honest ges, I don't think they know one whisky from another. It was just a bottle of whisky to them. I did have a bit of a shock when I looked it up :)

The last thank you I got was a bottle of Bells
gessa

Post by gessa »

Really enjoying a 12 yr old Redbreast pot stilled Irish atm, gorgeous stuff.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm When did that happen then?? :shock:

seems like he is a man after my own heart :tup:

:) :)
When we were given the malt hector? Beginning of the year I reckon, it doesn't come out often though :(
If you like your malts then deffo :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:35 pm The 15-year-old Bowmore is my favorite, but the Macallan is pretty special. Scotland's great gift to the world.
I've only had the 12 year old Bowmore John. The islay malts are my faves. I always look forward to a bottle of Laphroag (not the new Select...yuk), the original for birthdays and Christmas from Mr Swan. He knows me well, forget the flowers and choccies lol. I also love Lagavulin. I remember a few years ago we were in company with another yacht over in Holland. I stupidly left a rope attached which caught around the propeller causing the prop shaft to bend. We couldn't use the engine and our friends had to tow us the 90 miles home across The North Sea. It was dark when we arrived at our destination 18 hours later and we had to tie up alongside each other on a mooring buoy. The lightweights including Mr Swan went off to bed, but me and the skipper of the other yacht were so pumped we just sat there together and downed a whole bottle of Lagavulin between us.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 pm Really enjoying a 12 yr old Redbreast pot stilled Irish atm, gorgeous stuff.
Now you're just making things up ..

God knows why I'm reading this thread, can't stand spirits bar Vodka and I'm still working my way through a bottle I bought in 1995..but fairly quiet day on MOT and waccoe and I have to read something ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:53 pm I've only had the 12 year old Bowmore John. The islay malts are my faves. I always look forward to a bottle of Laphroag (not the new Select...yuk), the original for birthdays and Christmas from Mr Swan. He knows me well, forget the flowers and choccies lol. I also love Lagavulin. I remember a few years ago we were in company with another yacht over in Holland. I stupidly left a rope attached which caught around the propeller causing the prop shaft to bend. We couldn't use the engine and our friends had to tow us the 90 miles home across The North Sea. It was dark when we arrived at our destination 18 hours later and we had to tie up alongside each other on a mooring buoy. The lightweights including Mr Swan went off to bed, but me and the skipper of the other yacht were so pumped we just sat there together and downed a whole bottle of Lagavulin between us.

Got a nice 16 yr old lagavulin, the Christmas treat 2 yrs ago, love the stuff but no way could I drink half a bottle in a night,far too peaty now a Tomintoul portwood is a different matter.
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm Now you're just making things up ..

God knows why I'm reading this thread, can't stand spirits bar Vodka and I'm still working my way through a bottle I bought in 1995..but fairly quiet day on MOT and waccoe and I have to read something ...

Now, the only 2 spirits I really don't like is Vodka and Gin, there are others I'm not overly struck on but can't abide either of those. Having said that I made some plum vodka and plum brandy last year, which are coming to maturity, had a sip of both a few weeks back and all is good.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I drank Whisky once when I was 16, was violently ill and haven't touched a drop since. I n fact the smell of it alone puts me off
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:53 pm I've only had the 12 year old Bowmore John. The islay malts are my faves. I always look forward to a bottle of Laphroag (not the new Select...yuk), the original for birthdays and Christmas from Mr Swan. He knows me well, forget the flowers and choccies lol. I also love Lagavulin. I remember a few years ago we were in company with another yacht over in Holland. I stupidly left a rope attached which caught around the propeller causing the prop shaft to bend. We couldn't use the engine and our friends had to tow us the 90 miles home across The North Sea. It was dark when we arrived at our destination 18 hours later and we had to tie up alongside each other on a mooring buoy. The lightweights including Mr Swan went off to bed, but me and the skipper of the other yacht were so pumped we just sat there together and downed a whole bottle of Lagavulin between us.
Big fan of the Islay malts myself. Wonderfully peaty and very much a product of their region. Quite simply could not be duplicated anywhere else.
gessa

Post by gessa »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm Big fan of the Islay malts myself. Wonderfully peaty and very much a product of their region. Quite simply could not be duplicated anywhere else.

Had a 17 yr ols Caol lla bought me as a present once, 1 of my top 3
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 pm Got a nice 16 yr old lagavulin, the Christmas treat 2 yrs ago, love the stuff but no way could I drink half a bottle in a night,far too peaty now a Tomintoul portwood is a different matter.
We did stay up all night 'till morning ges :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 pm We did stay up all night 'till morning ges :lol:
I find with the heavy peated ones a couple of doubles is enough. Like your stamina for it though. :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Could put this in the bargain thread too..

Half bottles of Jura Superstition in our local co op £ 9.50 :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:47 pm Could put this in the bargain thread too..

Half bottles of Jura Superstition in our local co op £ 9.50 :)
That's a good price for a Jura. You've just reminded me that, about 18 months ago Makro were doing Highland Park (Mr Swans fave) and Laphroaig (one of my faves) in half bottles for a ridiculous price. Can't quite remember but 'nuff to say that we stocked up. There's still a HP left unopened as Mr Swan wants to 'save' it :duno: but as for the Laphroaig well, that's long gone :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm That's a good price for a Jura. You've just reminded me that, about 18 months ago Makro were doing Highland Park (Mr Swans fave) and Laphroaig (one of my faves) in half bottles for a ridiculous price. Can't quite remember but 'nuff to say that we stocked up. There's still a HP left unopened as Mr Swan wants to 'save' it :duno: but as for the Laphroaig well, that's long gone :lol:
Amazon have HP 12 yr old for £25. and their Viking Tribe for £30.90 free delivery
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:18 pm Amazon have HP 12 yr old for £25. and their Viking Tribe for £30.90 free delivery
Asda have some great deals on at the moment ges. Aberfeldy, HP, Cardhu, Talisker, and others all on offer at £25.00. Also Tamnavulin on at £20.00.
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:27 pm Asda have some great deals on at the moment ges. Aberfeldy, HP, Cardhu, Talisker, and others all on offer at £25.00. Also Tamnavulin on at £20.00.
:tumbler: :tumbler: