The LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 27th Dec)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 27th Dec)

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:42 pm Its like Tier 1
Phillips, Pontus, Pablo, Kemar
Pontus & Pablo - international quality

Phillips - most improved player of the season & will play in the premiership hopefully whilst with Leeds & then international status beckons

Roofe - another major improved player under Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:44 pm The trouble we have though is that there is no guarantee BPF is actually any better than he is showing now, just because he is young does not guarantee he will get better, plenty of players peak early and then go backwards. However like Faiip says it is hard to judge on just the 1 camera angle so far for the freekick goal.
Without trying to be to harsh on him i dont actually think he is that good even for a young goalie.

The age thing is a bit of an excuse, your either good enough or your not. Jack Clarke, Kalvin Phillips, Vieira, Cook, Delph etc, they were young and good enough, BPF isnt, just how it is.

His distribution which is supposed to be good is imo very poor.

There hasnt been another angle but it wasnt a particularly powerful freekick, it was a very long way out and he didnt seem to have to move very far, imo i think a decent goalie moves there feet quicker and catches it quite comfortable.

It isnt BPFs fault he is playing but he has shown that he is very weak from range and his shot stopping from distance which imo is the bare minimum for a goalie is poor.

Jansson was visibly furious with BPF many times vs Blackburn, not for the 1st time, thats never a good sign.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Afternoon All,

There is no doubt BPF should have saved the free kick, no amount of camera angles will change that fact.
It was a long way out and not hit ferociously and he wasn't unsighted so no excuses.
We desperately need another keeper, no two ways about it.
I feel the back four are starting to lose confidence in him, did you notice Pontus having a go at him in the first half?

Our top 3 players so far?
Pontus, Pablo and Phillips/Roofe

The award of the penalty was a little harsh in my opinion.
Ayling attempted a block and his momentum took him into Mulgrew who went down like he had been shot but made a miraculous recovery to take the penalty.

I also would play Shackleton instead of Ayling. He looked to be blowing hard in the second half which is understandable after two big games following a lay off.
If MB asked any of the players if they needed a rest they would all say no. No-one wants to drop out of a winning team in case they can't get back in.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:18 pm I still haven't seen the behind the player view of the BPF error ...anyone have that anywhere? Till then can't really comment on the error because the side on view shows nothing
I was stood behind it Mulgrew the free-kick taker, he curled the ball round the wall with no real pace, a decent keeper would have plucked that ball out of the air & caught it, the ball was heading slightly to the right of BPF, he didn't even need to dive for the shot instead he obviously lost the flight of the ball & palmed it into his own net, a Gary Sprake moment I suggest
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:22 pm Afternoon All,

There is no doubt BPF should have saved the free kick, no amount of camera angles will change that fact.
It was a long way out and not hit ferociously and he wasn't unsighted so no excuses.
We desperately need another keeper, no two ways about it.
I feel the back four are starting to lose confidence in him, did you notice Pontus having a go at him in the first half?
Folk on here defending his error is a joke, it was horrible as was his kicking which put our defence under pressure at least three times in the first-half, no wonder Pontus had a pop at him !

I feel for the lad as he has been given the responsibility of our No.1 far too early in his career, questions have to be asked about that decision.

We were handing out gifts like Santa's grotto yesterday :santa:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The mighty peacock spreads his wings as he stands proud on the goal line.
He harks back to the last penalty save he made, he ruffles his feathers and makes
himself big. Another penalty save and he will have the fans wetting their undies.
The peacock makes the correct decision and dives to the left, a desperate wing tip
stretches out to tip the ball around the post, but alas the mighty peacock fails.

The free kick is a million miles away and a centre back is taking the free kick... no sweat,
from that range the ball will be floated into the box and the defence will deal with it.
Shite... how did the ball get into the back of the net in the 90th minute.

The peacock pulls his plumage closer into his body, and before the crowd
he is seen visibly shrinking. Afterwards at home he reads the social media,
and disconsolately plucks the tail feathers from his nearly bare rump.

The Peacock snuggles into his nest and dreams of better days, and a new set of contact lenses.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

for fecks sake - it was all set up for you to use a peacock flapping metaphor.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

How can I criticize something I didn't see ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Serious question. Has anyone seen the Blackburn free kick from another angle? I've only seen it from one angle. Did it take a deflection, did it swerve or was he maybe unsighted.......or did he really mess it up. I'm not sticking up for him, but from the only view I got, all I saw were many mingling players.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:21 pm Serious question. Has anyone seen the Blackburn free kick from another angle? I've only seen it from one angle. Did it take a deflection, did it swerve or was he maybe unsighted.......or did he really mess it up. I'm not sticking up for him, but from the only view I got, all I saw were many mingling players.
Had a clear view

The shot was hit without too much pace around the wall, BPF flapped at the ball & it was in the net

Simple as that Swannie !
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:28 pm Had a clear view

The shot was hit without too much pace around the wall, BPF flapped at the ball & it was in the net

Simple as that Swannie !
another angle here . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipX9leIO_4I 5.59 in
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

leic white 63 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 pm another angle here . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipX9leIO_4I 5.59 in
Cheers that clears it up, the save attempt was fine but the positioning was awful by the looks of it..That one is on him, looks like he was expecting a cross not shot..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

leic white 63 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 pm another angle here . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipX9leIO_4I 5.59 in
I had a look at it and reduced the speed down to 0.25 so you can see where BPF
is standing and it is almost a replica of the goal he let in a few weeks ago from a
free kick. He has positioned himself near the right hand post and the ball goes
around the wall and in at the left hand post. Bad positioning once again. He does well
to get a hand to it, and if he had positioned himself centrally most likely he would
have saved it. Needs some coaching as to where to stand when free kicks are coming in.
Better positioning would cancel out these mistakes.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:49 am Good morning Matt

It would have been a steal had Blackburn taken home the three points, they were really poor!

Even though our game was littered with errors we were the much better side, we created our own downfall by gifting Rovers both goals

A unnecessary challenge from Ayling & another shot that embarrassed BPF my granny could have saved, his kicking was also shocking. I know Peacock-Farrell is only young & he has the potential to become an excellent No.1 in the future but his errors could cost us promotion, he can't expect his colleagues to continue getting him out of trouble. As a fan on the terraces I'm as nervous as hell every time the opposition has a shot from long distance
Evening Leon, re the Ayling pen. To me it looked like Ayling was attempting a block but slid an inch or too too far.

Its the kind of decision you'd expect the home team to get the decision
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm Pontus & Pablo - international quality

Phillips - most improved player of the season & will play in the premiership hopefully whilst with Leeds & then international status beckons

Roofe - another major improved player under Bielsa
Not Alioski :-D
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

leic white 63 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:55 am bpf should have saved that . not rocket science we need an experience keeper asap. bit harsh on the kid but he really shouldn't have been pushed into this position so early in his career. not ready yet done well in certain games but looks nervy . a good keeper in the making if he continues to learn.

deffo a pen imo . bit clumsy from ayling.

jansson, phillips, roofe, hernandez, and klich. sorry that's five but im a greedy c**t !

a few looked a bit tired yesterday however these are fit athletes and im pretty sure no one would want to be left out at the moment . i'll stick with the winning formula for now but eh ho mb knows best.
Evening 63. I'm really pleased for Klitch. It can't have been easy for him to work his way into the team. IMO he was not given a proper opportunity to establish himself when he was signed.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 am I'm sure we have all seen the free kick!
Was Bailey Peacock Farrell unlucky or clumsy?

Poor keeping and he really does seem to have a problem from distance shots.

Who are Leeds top three players for the first half of the season?

Roofe - can't ignore the goals return from a player who was considered as a bit part player by the last 3 managers and was expected to be the same this year after we signed Bamford.

Kalvin Phillips - Drastic improvement from a player that would have been seen as just a squad filler by most

Pablo Hernandez - Even when having a poor match seems to contribute with an assist or a goal. Makes the team tick.

Joint 4th Cooper, PJ and Klich.

Was it a penalty or not?

A very strange incident and have only seen it from one angle so it is hard to judge. To me it looked like he was attempting to block a shot. The Blackburn player then passed instead of shooting and Ayling momentum eventually saw him make contact with the Blackburn player. It seemed to be that the contact was far too long after the player had passed the ball for it to be an actual attempted tackle. As such he made contact with the player so it was probably the right decision to award a penalty.

In a couple of days time, Leeds entertain Hull!

It is the championship and you cannot underestimate any team and rest players. Rest players for the Cup match.
Evening Weasel, you're right about Peacock Farrell, great shot stopper though. Do you remember the pre season game v Las Palmas. They had two free kicks that struck the upright. Had they been on target, I don't think the lad would have got close to either.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:43 pm Evening Weasel, you're right about Peacock Farrell, great shot stopper though. Do you remember the pre season game v Las Palmas. They had two free kicks that struck the upright. Had they been on target, I don't think the lad would have got close to either.
I agree with you regarding the pen. I reckon Ayling tried to block the shot but slid just too far. There seemed to be an age between the tackle and the penalty given.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 am Peacock-Farrell should have saved the free kick

Not seen enough of the penalty incident to comment

Overall I'd say Jansson, Hernandez and Roofe have been our best performers but its been a team effort and I think Klich played a huge part in our good start to the season.

No need to rest players against Hull, and not the thing to do.
Jansson has been immense all season.

Pontus Jansson v Blackburn

89% pass accuracy 81 touches 58/65 successful passes 10 ball recoveries (most on pitch)
3 tackles won
3 interceptions (most for Leeds)
3 successful take-ons
2 clearances
2 blocks
1 shot
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 am Yes it should have saved it.

Yes it was clumsy, if it have happened up the other end, I'd ave wanted a penalty, whether it would have been given in that scenario is another matter.
In no particular order Roofe Jansson Phillips

I'd bring Shackleton back in for Ayling, who's played 2 games in a short period after a lay off and will probably be feeling it,and as been less than convincing in either game, Shackleton did nothing wrong playing there.
Evening Gessa, Jansson for me all day long