Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Leeds Utd v Derby County

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
13%
2-2
25%
3-3 or higher
No votes
Leeds by 1
13%
DC by 1
38%
Leeds by 2
No votes
DC by 2
13%
Leeds by 3 or more
No votes
DC by 3 or more
No votes

Total votes: 8

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread

Post by whiteswan »

Just been watching our goals again. What does anyone think of their goalie punching instead of catching for our first goal and then the tip over to Ali for our second. Had BPF done that would we be slating him? Goalies make mistakes....
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

One of our own Scott Carson..
Maybe still has a wee soft spot for us.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

paddy parrott wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm One of our own Scott Carson..
Maybe still has a wee soft spot for us.
:)
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Reckon he'd worn the gloves Marcelo got him for Christmas too.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 pm Just been watching our goals again. What does anyone think of their goalie punching instead of catching for our first goal and then the tip over to Ali for our second. Had BPF done that would we be slating him? Goalies make mistakes....
I think criticism for Carson on either goal is harsh. Maybe he could have caught the ball in the build up to the first goal but he did get good distance on the punch. Second goal and he was at full stretch and it was a tricky one to deal with, in hindsight maybe he pushes it behind for a corner but he was at full stretch to get anything on it.

Like you say though is BPF had done either though he would have got criticised by some.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Pontus roaring out of defence like a train rides one tackle before being scythed down,
and neither of the Derby players get a red... poor refereeing
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 am Absolutely ludicrous by Sky to make something out of nothing.
I cancelled my Sky subscription years ago so I don't hear all the rubbish they spout thankfully
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 pm Pontus roaring out of defence like a train rides one tackle before being scythed down,
and neither of the Derby players get a red... poor refereeing
Who said Pontus can't play or run the ball out of his defence, assisted several of our attacking moves over the last month
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:14 pm Looking back, the assaults on Ayling, which went unpunished and the one on Pontus at the end, were both worse challenges than the one Phillips got sent off for. They should have had 2 reds and 3 furthur yellows yesterday, not forgeting the 3 penalties we were denied. Not morally wrong but certainly ineptness by the officials, non of the decisions were borderline, all obvious not given by officials in very good positions

I know the ref gave the first pen but an awful decision from his assistant, not even close.
We've had some bad ones mate but Andy Davies is one of the worst refs I've seen at ER this season
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Waghorn one on Pontus at the end, was worse than what KP got sent off for. :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:00 pm The Waghorn one on Pontus at the end, was worse than what KP got sent off for. :roll:
I think Pontus was about to chin Waghorn had it not been for Cooper's intervention who was holding Pontus back from retaliating to that cynical challenge
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 pm We've had some bad ones mate but Andy Davies is one of the worst refs I've seen at ER this season
Rates alongside Jeremy Simpson :x
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:00 pm The Waghorn one on Pontus at the end, was worse than what KP got sent off for. :roll:
Disgraceful challenge, also the one just before. I'll be watching Dermot Gallagher with interest on Ref Watch on Monday am
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm Disgraceful challenge, also the one just before. I'll be watching Dermot Gallagher with interest on Ref Watch on Monday am
He'll back one of his own won't he Swannie ?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 pm He'll back one of his own won't he Swannie ?
No, that's the good thing 64. He will say if the ref or his assistant gets it wrong. Sometimes he might try and explain maybe why the ref gave a particular decision, but really, there is nowhere to hide with many of the ridiculous decisions yesterday. Also, there is an ex footballer alongside giving their very strong opinion. Sometimes Stuart Pearce, Danny Mills who is an good guy, sometimes JFH....we'll see. I'll report back :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 pm No, that's the good thing 64. He will say if the ref or his assistant gets it wrong. Sometimes he might try and explain maybe why the ref gave a particular decision, but really, there is nowhere to hide with many of the ridiculous decisions yesterday. Also, there is an ex footballer alongside giving their very strong opinion. Sometimes Stuart Pearce, Danny Mills who is an good guy, sometimes JFH....we'll see. I'll report back :)
On the whole the better the quality the player commenting, the less of a problem they seem to think it is. Perhaps just no marks getting in on the act.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 pm No, that's the good thing 64. He will say if the ref or his assistant gets it wrong. Sometimes he might try and explain maybe why the ref gave a particular decision, but really, there is nowhere to hide with many of the ridiculous decisions yesterday. Also, there is an ex footballer alongside giving their very strong opinion. Sometimes Stuart Pearce, Danny Mills who is an good guy, sometimes JFH....we'll see. I'll report back :)
Please do Swannie :tup:

Gallagher use to go out with a woman who travels on our coach to home matches
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Very happy Cjay :)

Given the media circus surrounding the match there was a possibility Derby would come out flying and we would get mauled.

Total opposite and 2-0 Flattered Derby in the end.

Only 1 thing to moan about really, i think BPF will and should get a ban. The way he extended his leg isnt a natural movement, he tooked at Holmes then stuck his boot out deliberately, totally wrong.

Thought Hernandez and Klich were rejuvenated by there rests, not there best but still good and important.

Full credit to Liam Cooper, he isnt my favourite player, but i thought he was very important vs Derby. Actually thought Jansson was the better defensively although Cooper was good. But as a Captain i thoughg he was excellent, always talking, always encouraging, and when Jansson lost his head and looked like he was about to chin someone it was Cooper stood holding him back, and then shoving him back. He may not be our best defender or the best defender in general but he clearly has leadership qualities and is respected by his teammates.

Thought Roofe was excellent to, tracking back,running the channels, holding the ball up, great movement and finish for his goal, more of the same please.

Forshaw ive come to the conclusion can play as a DM if Philips isnt playing. I think whenever they play together they try to occupy the same spaces and it doesnt work. Forshaw was brilliant, passing was on point, seemed quicker then it has been. Tackled well, carried the ball well and when Derby went to a front 2 he was diligent defensively.

Clarke is the best academy product we have had since Kewell in terms of raw talent. He has only just turned 18 and is head and shoulders the best natural winger we have had since we got relegated imo. Ahead of Gradel, Snoddy etc. 2 goals and 2 assists in 450 minutes is ridiculously good for anyone, for an 18 year old its madness and as much as i want us to sign people under no circumstances should it be at the expense of Jack losing his place, he has to start when fit, he is our Xfactor. Selling him now is not an option, if he wants a new deal give it to him, if he wants parity with the 1st team, 10-15k a week he should get it now. If we dont get him tied down he will go.

Ali is the best left back at the club, said that before i thought that based on his cameos, now im convinced of it. Barry Douglas may have a great delivery and set piece ability. Ali is far better defensively, he has a better engine, he has better movement, better intelligence, better link play, the guy is brilliant at full back and full credit to him. He has had an unbelievable amount of stick but you can tell he loves playing for us, he pisses the opposition off so much its hilarious to watch. Really think there is a cult hero in Ali, been brilliant last 4 or 5 games.

It was a great performance and one that very few Championship sides would produce ever, we have done it multiple times.

It seems we have a keeper coming (ive done my research so im ready :) )

Hopefully a winger and midfielder to.

Imo we need a cb but keep Clarkey, get the 3 players in and providing no more set backs injury wise between now and February 1st then that'll be a great window (if the cm and winger are of similar pedigree to the gk then it will be an incredible window).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 am Very happy Cjay :)

Only 1 thing to moan about really, i think BPF will and should get a ban. The way he extended his leg isnt a natural movement, he tooked at Holmes then stuck his boot out deliberately, totally wrong.
I dunno, if you watch it over and over you can convince yourself either way. Keepers always jump like that - it steadies you in the air and gives balance when you land - and he had his eye on the ball the whole time. I do expect a ban, though!

His foot was no higher than their player's in the two kicks before it, and had he not caught their player, he'd have been clattered in the air because there was no way the striker was stopping (despite having no chance to challenge for that ball).

Hopefully this keeper does come in this week so that we have (experienced) back-up. I do think that GK is the one position that it is difficult to drop a youth player into and expect the levels Clarke and Shack have given us.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:07 am I dunno, if you watch it over and over you can convince yourself either way. Keepers always jump like that - it steadies you in the air and gives balance when you land - and he had his eye on the ball the whole time. I do expect a ban, though!
Gary Sprake always used this method when keepers got no protection whatsoever !