Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

SCORELINE: Boro v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

0-0
13%
1-1
19%
2-2
6%
3-3 or higher
No votes
Boro by 1
13%
Leeds by 1
38%
Boro by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
13%
Boro by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
No votes

Total votes: 16

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm

If we match Heckingbottoms reign from last season we'll finish with about 75 points.
BPF - Hossannah - Halme - Diaz - Struijk - Oduor - Gotts - Stevens - McCalmont - Temenuzhkov - Shackleton

"objective fan" - is that a consistent oxymoron?"

THE FUTURE'S BRIGHT THE FUTURE IS WHITE

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:53 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm
If we match Heckingbottoms reign from last season we'll finish with about 75 points.
Would that get us playoffs?

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Probably
BPF - Hossannah - Halme - Diaz - Struijk - Oduor - Gotts - Stevens - McCalmont - Temenuzhkov - Shackleton

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:13 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm
Can't believe you are advocating sacking Bielsa and bringing Heckingbottom back....

;-)
Senor El Weasel

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Bout time don't you think? This game last season was the Hecks first

RcR
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by RcR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm

With teams all beating each other and no1 running away with it I wouldn’t be surprised if the points this season for playoffs and automatic promotion are slightly different from other seasons .

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Bout time don't you think? This game last season was the Hecks first
In with a shout for the Hibs job apparently. Fans aren't inspired with the thought of Heck as their manager :lol:

BGwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by BGwhite » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm

I think it will be a much lower pts total needed this year for autos and playoffs meaning many more teams will be involved right up to the end. Good chance that 85 ish pts will get automatic promotion. Only Leeds, Norwich and Sheffield can reach that figure or more by averaging 2 pts per game from the remaining fixtures which is very difficult.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

SaraM
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by SaraM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Irish Ian wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:16 pm
Personally I think that Bielsa has to help the players get their mindset right, get rid of the anxiety in our play _-- Always it seems to start with problems at the back, sometimes I think we are in such a rush to get it forward it concentration on doing the basics gets ignored.
Agree with this (and the rest of your comment). I do wonder how much of our drop in form since Christmas is due to a loss of confidence, as much as other factors. I think the 'no prisoners' mentality is why we are feared too.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm

To be honest I think all our problems would suddenly clear up if we got an early goal and then went on to get a comfortable win. Apart from the Derby win it is a long time since our last comfortable win and several in our 7 match winning run were by the odd goal after we made it hard for ourselves. We haven't beaten a team by more than 1 goal since November (we beat Bristol City 2-0 but that was 0-0 with 20 minutes to go and Bristol had a man sent off early in the second half).

We won 4 of our first 5 matches by 2 or more goals. We have only won by more than 1 goal 4 times since then (26 matches). Every match seems to just be a battle and it seems almost that we are making it harder for ourselves than the opposition are by us not taking our chances and then gifting the opposition a goal out of nothing.
Senor El Weasel

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

danhirons wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm
Good defending from. Harrison tbh otherwise would have been two nil probanly. Battles well just got no quality
I'm one of his biggest critics, but got to admit he defended brilliantly there against two players and kept us in the game :tup:

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm

King Kalvin justified his place in the team today, he shouldn't have to as he is a automatic starter for me, key to much of our excellent run up until December

'Yorkshire's Pirlo' walked our MOTM poll on the coach with 31 votes :-D

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:18 pm

White Riot wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm
I'm one of his biggest critics, but got to admit he defended brilliantly there against two players and kept us in the game :tup:
Plua those two Boro supporters/commentators were so biased they gave Harrison no credit for such great defending, just said the two Boro players were unlucky - you gotta be kidding.

I had to go our right on the final whistle, jumped up in the air when we equalized :shock:

Fantastice result for us, but we do need to start playing better from the start, we're making it way too easy for teams by giving them a helping hand and confidence in the first half of every match.

I still think we can get automatic promotion and even win it, but Bielsa has to get us defending better and putting the chances away.

At least with this team they don't give in until the final whistle blows.

Lots of average form from our rivals so this still there for the taking.

Get in Leeds :tup: :)

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm
King Kalvin justified his place in the team today, he shouldn't have to as he is a automatic starter for me, key to much of our excellent run up until December

'Yorkshire's Pirlo' walked our MOTM poll on the coach with 31 votes :-D
Yep, he gives us bite and determination to succeed. I'm really puzzled as to why so many of our players have hit a bad run of form?
e.g. Pablo??

Shackleton was excellent when he came on and must start against Swansea.

After the way this match went this was a massive result for us and should give the boys renewed confidence :) :tup:

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 pm

White Riot wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm
Headless chicken going forward

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 pm

BGwhite wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm
I think it will be a much lower pts total needed this year for autos and playoffs meaning many more teams will be involved right up to the end. Good chance that 85 ish pts will get automatic promotion. Only Leeds, Norwich and Sheffield can reach that figure or more by averaging 2 pts per game from the remaining fixtures which is very difficult.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
You could be right BG. There are a lot of teams in with a shout, which illustrates how nobody has run off with it. If we can get our confidence back, start zipping it about, take our chances and defend well, then I honestly believe it is there for the taking as nobody is showing any consistency so far.

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:30 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 pm
Headless chicken going forward
Yeah, pretty much - we have Shackleton who should be starting every time ahead of guys like Harrison, and a few others who are bang out of form at the moment.

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:35 pm

Baggies 1-0 up at HT. I see big gob Charlie Adam isn't in Stoke's squad today. Lets hope Stoke can turn it around without the fat lazy tosser

White Riot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by White Riot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:38 pm

We should really get stuck into Swansea in midweek. I would love it if Dan James scores an own goal and McBurnie gets sent off

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:39 pm

White Riot wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:30 pm
Yeah, pretty much - we have Shackleton who should be starting every time ahead of guys like Harrison, and a few others who are bang out of form at the moment.
We are carrying passengers with the selection of Ayling & Harrison both woeful, is it any wonder why we are not winning matches especially as other players are not in great form too.