Still hopeful we'll achieve automatic promotion ??

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Still hopeful we'll achieve automatic promotion ??

Post by 1964white »

Lots of twists & turns still to come yet !

Ain't over until the fat lady sings

My two main concerns

Is Jansson crocked for the season, he looked in a bad way for the last quarter of the game?

How many games will Casilla miss ? led to believe he only misses one game :duno:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Still hopeful we'll achieve automatic promotion ??

Post by weasel »

I am definitely still hopeful, in fact I am confident. Same as all season if we take our chances we win matches. With possibly the exception of the 4-1 WBA loss we have yet to deservedly lose a game, Norwich got lucky against us.

So if we play even at the worst level that we have played all season but take our chances we will win matches. If we play at our best and take our chances we blow teams away as we have done v Derby, WBA and Reading. I see no signs of fatigue, in fact I think with people returning from injuries we are now getting stronger. Norwich have looked jaded in their recent performances, yes winning but not impressing. Sheff Utd did nothing to impress me today - they took their chance but could have been well behind at that point.

If we take our chances and win our matches but Norwich and Sheff Utd win theirs well then they deserve to go up. But if they don't and we continue to play exactly the same as we have done all season and we take our chances we will go up.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

More worried about Jansson than the points dropped today.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

All we can do now is win every game. If they both win every game too, then fair enough. But you have to wonder when their luck will run out? Just don't see how it is sustainable.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Absolutely hopeful. If there's one thing this season has taught us, it's that nothing is straightforward about this promotion race. Plenty of twists and turns to come yet!
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

weasel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:57 pm I am definitely still hopeful, in fact I am confident. Same as all season if we take our chances we win matches. With possibly the exception of the 4-1 WBA loss we have yet to deservedly lose a game, Norwich got lucky against us.

So if we play even at the worst level that we have played all season but take our chances we will win matches. If we play at our best and take our chances we blow teams away as we have done v Derby, WBA and Reading. I see no signs of fatigue, in fact I think with people returning from injuries we are now getting stronger. Norwich have looked jaded in their recent performances, yes winning but not impressing. Sheff Utd did nothing to impress me today - they took their chance but could have been well behind at that point.

If we take our chances and win our matches but Norwich and Sheff Utd win theirs well then they deserve to go up. But if they don't and we continue to play exactly the same as we have done all season and we take our chances we will go up.
^This^

We just need to concentrate on Millwall now. We are not going to become a bad team overnight. We just need to keep doing what we've been doing. We've been knocked off top spot before and reclaimed it. We've been knocked out the top 2 before and got back in there. We can do it again. Never really been bothered about the international break in March before as we've not been doing well but now I wish it would just fk right off.

Plenty of if's and but's today but it's done and dusted and we need to move on. Just hope Pontus is OK. Someone in the ground told me Kiko will miss 1 game but on the radio coming home they said 3 games? Anyone confirm?

Ok so just read we are looking at appealing the red due to covering defenders. But if we accept the red he will only miss the 1 game v Millwall.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Hopeful. ..yes
Realistically ...no
2 reasons...Norwich and Blunts don't look like choking it.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sheff lose or draw next game, we win, back in our hands , not remotely giving up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 pm More worried about Jansson than the points dropped today.
Me too Adam, could be a killer blow
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 pm Ok so just read we are looking at appealing the red due to covering defenders. But if we accept the red he will only miss the 1 game v Millwall.
Surely we can manage without Casilla for one game v Millwall as long BPF doesn't have one of his wobblers.

Casilla is key to our promotion hopes 8-)
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Yes, more than hopeful. Still very confident that we can do it.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I'm more 50/50. We have by far the trickiest run in. Losing points today was not as bad as the worry we lose confidence. Which for me is real downside of today. Blades will not win all their games from here on in. They are bound to slip up.

Think we will make the Wembley final at the very least.

Let's hope the lads come back from the I international break in one piece.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not sure now tbh.

We have choked in very important games recently, unlucky or not eventually you just have to accept that we didnt do enough.

QPR, Norwich now Blades.

A few weeks ago everything was in our hands, a very easy game on paper against a QPR team who were totally out of form.

We lost that.

We lost at home to two of our promotion rivals, at this stage of the season that highlights a mental weakness imo.

If this happened, but this etc.

We choked again today, we could have won but we didnt and thats our fault.

Thoroughly fed up of it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

It's not over by a long way. However I feel that if we don't scrape into an automatic promotion place then we will not get promoted through the playoffs. At that point it is about momentum and there are a couple of clubs finishing very strongly and unfortunately we are not.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I don't think either of the top 2 will take maximum point from their remaining games so we still have a chance.
The injury to Pontus is a concern though.
The international break gives him recovery time and to be honest we can probably manage without him for Millwall as well if need be.
What's more worrying is the fact we have to play three teams bang in form, Villa, Sheff Wed and Preston. They all have realistic play off hopes.
We really could have done with that 5 point cushion but it just wasn't our day.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

tbh i think it be a travesty if we don't go up automatically .
bitterly disappointed yesterday but no use crying over spilled milk.
it remains to be seen if we are actually good enough or not.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Norwich have got Boro away next, their first top 6 opponent since they played us. Finally playing someone with something to play for. You'd think they will have to turn their form around soon.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

BobHirst wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:45 am It's not over by a long way. However I feel that if we don't scrape into an automatic promotion place then we will not get promoted through the playoffs. At that point it is about momentum and there are a couple of clubs finishing very strongly and unfortunately we are not.
Agree Bob, history suggest that in most seasons it’s the team on a roll that just sneaks into the play-off picture that gets up and not the one that has just missed out on automatic.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

The following link to Wiki shows the results of the play-offs

I only looked back as far as 2000, but in that period, the team finishing 3rd were promoted half the time. That would indicate an advantage to finishing third.

Championship play-offs
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:40 pm We have choked in very important games recently, unlucky or not eventually you just have to accept that we didnt do enough.

QPR, Norwich now Blades.
Choking is what we did at the end of the Monk season. The team had thought a play-off spot was guaranteed (remember PJ saying about getting a booking so he could sit out a suspension and be available for the play-offs). That team suddenly stopped playing, stopped creating chances and blew a big lead.

This season the biggest lead we have had at the top of the table is the 3 points ahead of Norwich that we were after our 7th win in a row. We've never had a big cushion and we have yo-yoed in the top 4 places all season.

We've never played badly in terms of us never having been in a match where we haven't created several chances. We have had a couple of bad results but that happens it isn't choking. Okay you can say people choked in terms of missing their chances when they ad them but that is football not choking - Hernandez and Bamford missed some sitters int he second half v Reading, that wasn't choking because we were 3-0 up but if those same chances were missed at 0-0 does it become choking?

We didn't choke v Norwich. They got an immense slice of luck after a couple of minutes, if we'd got the luck and ha a freekick deflected in to go 1-0 then statistics would suggest we'd have won the match. For 30 minutes we were then much the better side, so we didn't choke and simply get battered.

This team lost a match, that happens. Doesn't mean we are choking just means we lost a match, lose a few in a row and that is choking.