Album Club Review - ????

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial'REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by Sara »

Didn't realise it was Willy Vlautin. Looking forward to it even more now. Big Richmond Fontaine fan.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial'REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by Durly »

SaraM wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am Didn't realise it was Willy Vlautin. Looking forward to it even more now. Big Richmond Fontaine fan.
I'm a bit obsessed with anything Vlautin, Fontaine or Delines. Seen RF about a dozen times and they're always wonderful. Met Willy quite a few times. Lovely fella.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:41 pm I'm a bit obsessed with anything Vlautin, Fontaine or Delines. Seen RF about a dozen times and they're always wonderful. Met Willy quite a few times. Lovely fella.
Purchased Fontaine's 'You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing To Go Back To' CD for £2.50 a couple of weeks ago :)
1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperil' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

I posted up a silly ew tip 'Argus' on the Horse Racing Challenge topic today :hors:

3rd @ 22/1 :-D
hector

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by hector »

Delines The Imperial
nothing I need to say on this.... I got it on Durleys recommend and like it... play it regularly

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Wishbone Ash Argus
well............. this was a bit before my time (ish) I was just getting into Bowie at this stage and although at boarding school and some of the older lads played this a lot I thought it was self indulgent noise... (but then I thought Zep was that too at that time :shock: )

Having listened to it in the car a couple of times, I like it a lot, (yet another band I have missed out on for all these years) so have to give it

:star: :star: :star: :star: .5
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Wishbone Ash 'Argus'/Delines 'The Imperial' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 pm Delines The Imperial
nothing I need to say on this.... I got it on Durleys recommend and like it... play it regularly

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Wishbone Ash Argus
well............. this was a bit before my time (ish) I was just getting into Bowie at this stage and although at boarding school and some of the older lads played this a lot I thought it was self indulgent noise... (but then I thought Zep was that too at that time :shock: )

Having listened to it in the car a couple of times, I like it a lot, (yet another band I have missed out on for all these years) so have to give it

:star: :star: :star: :star: .5
Thank you Hector for those two great reviews

Wishbone were one of the most underrated guitar bands of the 70's

Their first three albums are crackers, all 5 star & are the ones to buy or download, Argus their most commercial work. Love their harmonies & memorable melodic guitar riffs

Wishbone Ash
Pilgrimage
Argus
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Buy the Delines 'Colfax' too mate, superb album on in my car this morning :love:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Listened to Wishbone Ash today. Earphones on.

Before long I was transported to a different time.

I could smell the patchouli oil, (among other resinous substances, ;-) ) the flairs, the denims were naturally distressed...................... Hair. Sixth Form lyrics. Swords, Knights, etc etc... Yeah!!!! Love it.

Liked the twin guitar sound ( although that art was later NAILED by Thin Lizzy) the cross between quaint English folk music and something a bit more medieval. Boy music. I bet back in the day you wouldn't have saw many ladies at their gigs.

Some nice tunes.

Then came the live version of Phoenix.

This song was like that bloke you meet in the pub who knows the score of every FA Cup final going back over 100 years, along with who scored. Fascinating at first, really interesting, for like 5 minutes, but then you realise he has latched on to you and is following you around the pub. "1931? now let me see... Ah yes that was 2-1 to the Baggies, Ginger Richardson with a brace... blah blah blah"

Phoenix just wouldn't stop. It was epic for like 10 minutes then it just went on and on and on. I THOUGHT WE AGREED NO DRUM SOLOS!

MAKE IT STOP.

Bonus Track?? All 17 minutes :lol:

All in all a great listen, it has reintroduced me to a band my mate was passionate about back in the 70s.

In fact there is a tune they did which I loved and of course cant recall its name. Someone made me a live recording of some of their stuff and it was on there..

:star: :star: :star: :star:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 pm Listened to Wishbone Ash today. Earphones on.

Before long I was transported to a different time.

I could smell the patchouli oil, (among other resinous substances, ;-) ) the flairs, the denims were naturally distressed...................... Hair. Sixth Form lyrics. Swords, Knights, etc etc... Yeah!!!! Love it.

Liked the twin guitar sound ( although that art was later NAILED by Thin Lizzy) the cross between quaint English folk music and something a bit more medieval. Boy music. I bet back in the day you wouldn't have saw many ladies at their gigs.

Some nice tunes.

Then came the live version of Phoenix.

This song was like that bloke you meet in the pub who knows the score of every FA Cup final going back over 100 years, along with who scored. Fascinating at first, really interesting, for like 5 minutes, but then you realise he has latched on to you and is following you around the pub. "1931? now let me see... Ah yes that was 2-1 to the Baggies, Ginger Richardson with a brace... blah blah blah"

Phoenix just wouldn't stop. It was epic for like 10 minutes then it just went on and on and on. I THOUGHT WE AGREED NO DRUM SOLOS!

MAKE IT STOP.

Bonus Track?? All 17 minutes :lol:

All in all a great listen, it has reintroduced me to a band my mate was passionate about back in the 70s.

In fact there is a tune they did which I loved and of course cant recall its name. Someone made me a live recording of some of their stuff and it was on there..

'Phoenix' is Wishbone's anthem a song off their debut album. Classic track lasting only a mere 10m.26s :lol: one of the great guitar breaks of all-time from Andy Powell & Ted Turner. That's the problem with live versions, it seemed every 70's drummer needed to show off with his drumsticks, was always a time for me to visit the bar :beer:

Thanks for the four stars Ian :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 pm 'Phoenix' is Wishbone's anthem a song off their debut album. Classic track lasting only a mere 10m.26s :lol: one of the great guitar breaks of all-time from Andy Powell & Ted Turner. That's the problem with live versions, it seemed every 70's drummer needed to show off with his drumsticks, was always a time for me to visit the bar :beer:

Thanks for the four stars Ian :tup:
4 stars is hard to come by on these threads :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 pm 4 stars is hard to come by on these threads :)
Indeed it is Ian

Out of the 16 albums nominated I believe I've only rated three albums below 4, those three received 3 or 3.5 so I'm not the harshest of critics :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

64's nominated albums

The Delines 'The Imperial'

5.0 64
5.0 Durly
5.0 Hector
3.0 Faaip

4.5 Average Rating

Wishbone Ash 'Argus'

5.0 64
4.5 Hector
4.0 Ian

4.5 Average Rating

It can only go downhill from here on ;-)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm Indeed it is Ian

Out of the 16 albums nominated I believe I've only rated three albums below 4, those three received 3 or 3.5 so I'm not the harshest of critics :)
Very generous marking indeed 64.

If the top mark can be 5 :star: then to me you can only apply such a rating to your all time favourite classic albums (London Calling, Ziggy, NMtB, DSotM etc) as there is nowhere else to go :duno:

A 4 :star: , or indeed a 3 :star: are still decent ratings in my book :moggy:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Everyone scores differently I guess...for me

no stars - pure junk
1 :star: - I can tolerate in small doses, some redeeming features
2 :star: Good album in parts, lack interest thoug to keep me coming back
3 :star: An album I'd be happy to own, very good
4 :star: - Stunningly good, could go 5 stars down the line or fall back to a 3 star
5 :star: - part of the family, an album I couldn't live without

I'm having a wonderful music day listening over and over to Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe, I never listen multiple times unless it's special..this is special imo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 pm Very generous marking indeed 64.

If the top mark can be 5 :star: then to me you can only apply such a rating to your all time favourite classic albums (London Calling, Ziggy, NMtB, DSotM etc) as there is nowhere else to go :duno:

A 4 :star: , or indeed a 3 :star: are still decent ratings in my book :moggy:
5 star albums are not just reserved for classic albums Cat

I have 100's of obscure albums that are 5 star imo!
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:26 pm Everyone scores differently I guess...for me

no stars - pure junk
1 :star: - I can tolerate in small doses, some redeeming features
2 :star: Good album in parts, lack interest thoug to keep me coming back
3 :star: An album I'd be happy to own, very good
4 :star: - Stunningly good, could go 5 stars down the line or fall back to a 3 star
5 :star: - part of the family, an album I couldn't live without
That sounds pretty much spot on faaip
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:36 pm 5 star albums are not just reserved for classic albums Cat

I have 100's of obscure albums that are 5 star imo!
I don't mean to suggest that only widely accepted 'Classic' albums are worthy of 5 :star: s - I'm sure we all have personal favourites that what we consider to be 5 :star: albums, that others would consider nowhere near.

My point is how can you have "100's" of albums that are absolute top of the tree and pinnacle albums, worthy of 5 :star: s ???? :duno:

As indicated above I would tend towards faaip's rating criteria
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Wishbone Ash - Argus

I've not listened to these for years, and I'd forgotten how much I liked them. From this era, I was always more into either the experimental proggy stuff like Crimson and Yes, or heavier rock like Sabbath. WA were somewhere in the middle, being more melodic and 'catchy', but the guitar work, vocals and song structures are all great. I used to listen to Pilgrimage mainly, from the early stuff, but my favourite was actually No Smoke Without Fire from '78. Same producer as Argus, I believe. I had a tape with that on one side, and Bad Company's Desolation Angels on the other which got played a lot in the car.

The Delines - Imperial

I thought this would grow on me more than it did. It's very good, but it's lacking some edge or spark to keep me interested. It's almost less than the sum of its parts, if that makes sense; great vocals, musicianship and songwriting, but ultimately rather bland compared to, say, Richmond Fontaine or the Honeycutters. I've not written it off, I may come back to it in another mood and find it hits the spot, but it's not doing it currently.

:star: :star: :star:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Desolation Angels got played a lot here too.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Argus. Used to play this album a lot but found it a little dated playing it over the last few years - 4

Delines- Tried, as it's normally the kind of music I like to listen to but it doesn't grab me at all, not sure why, can't put my finger on it, a couple of nice tracks but find it pretty mundane on the whole. - 2