Album Club Review - ????

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: Album Club Review - Counting Crows/Pearl Jam

Post by gessa »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:00 pm
Can't beat the sound of vinyl playing. :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Counting Crows.

Sorry I had a long piece written and I lost it somewhere :evil:

For a debut album it has possibilities. The singer is very versatile and I was reminded of Kurt, Stipe, Van Morrison, David Gray, James Blunt and even Ricky Lee Jones. :roflmao:

I found the songs lyrically complicated both in style and substance, and tbh not many of the tunes have stuck ( only two listens so far)

My main critique was that I think this album fell into a trap that has befell other "singer-songwriters" It happened a wee bit to Dylan and definitely to Bruce Springsteen on his first two albums. Rarely do we hear the drum, guitar, hammond organ, piano, pipes and whatever else was used do anything but back the singer. All the time, Too lyrically heavy. Take a breath please. A few melodies, maybe a guitar solo or two please. ( the organ tried to escape on Ghost Train and again on Time and Time which was a nice diversion ) But mainly backing music. Music buried under the words.

Saying that there were some decent tunes.

Round Here
Mr Jones
Time and Time Again.

Lowlight was This Land... If Woodie Guthrie was alive today he would be turning in his Grave. :P

I reckon these guys would give you a great night out if they played down your local club though.

But, while I will leave it on my playlist for a while I think I will stick to Mr Mellencamp if I want angst ridden Americana

:star: :star:

Please don't hurt me.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 pm Counting Crows.

Sorry I had a long piece written and I lost it somewhere :evil:

For a debut album it has possibilities. The singer is very versatile and I was reminded of Kurt, Stipe, Van Morrison, David Gray, James Blunt and even Ricky Lee Jones. :roflmao:

I found the songs lyrically complicated both in style and substance, and tbh not many of the tunes have stuck ( only two listens so far)

My main critique was that I think this album fell into a trap that has befell other "singer-songwriters" It happened a wee bit to Dylan and definitely to Bruce Springsteen on his first two albums. Rarely do we hear the drum, guitar, hammond organ, piano, pipes and whatever else was used do anything but back the singer. All the time, Too lyrically heavy. Take a breath please. A few melodies, maybe a guitar solo or two please. ( the organ tried to escape on Ghost Train and again on Time and Time which was a nice diversion ) But mainly backing music. Music buried under the words.

Saying that there were some decent tunes.

Round Here
Mr Jones
Time and Time Again.

Lowlight was This Land... If Woodie Guthrie was alive today he would be turning in his Grave. :P

I reckon these guys would give you a great night out if they played down your local club though.

But, while I will leave it on my playlist for a while I think I will stick to Mr Mellencamp if I want angst ridden Americana

Please don't hurt me.
Ouch Ian :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 pmOuch Ian
Him and cat are off the Christmas card list. :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 pm Him and cat are off the Christmas card list. :)
:rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ges - nominated albums

Pearl Jam 'Ten'

5 Ges
5 Faaip
3 64
1 Cat

3.5 Average Rating

Counting Crows 'August and Everything After'

5 Ges
5 Faaip
5 64
2 Ian

4.3 Average Rating
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 pm Ouch Ian :lol:
Now I'm afraid to put forward the inane drivel I listen too... :roflmao:

I'll review 10 for tomorrow if I get the chance.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:30 pm Now I'm afraid to put forward the inane drivel I listen too... :roflmao:
Revenge time ;-) :lol:
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

I'll try and listen in the next day or two.
But for me you need to listen several times to get a real feel 😉
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:53 am I'll try and listen in the next day or two.
But for me you need to listen several times to get a real feel 😉
Agree entirely Haighy :tup:

Some albums need several listens, 'August & Everything After' being one of them which is a real grower
hector

Post by hector »

Counting Crows...OMFG where do I begin......

on hearing 'round here, I jumped onto ebay and ordered a pack of razor blades.... :(
on hearing Omaha I put them in the sink to help them go rusty :cry: :cry:
Mr Jones gave them a slight reprieve, :o
but Perfect blue buildings, Anna begins, and time and time again saw me lose the will to live............. :verysad:
Rain King I liked :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sullivan street saw me hacking away at my wrists with the rusty razor blades, because this was preferable to listening to the drivel coming out of my speakers, and this continued through all the remaining tracks...

then I went and played it again, my brain kept shouting out "WHY!!"

So all in all not going to go on my repeat play list at all, the lead singer??'s voice is like monotony personified....
:star: purely for Rain King
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:33 am Counting Crows...OMFG where do I begin......

on hearing 'round here, I jumped onto ebay and ordered a pack of razor blades.... :(
on hearing Omaha I put them in the sink to help them go rusty :cry:
but Perfect blue buildings, Anna begins, and time and time again saw me lose the will to live............. :verysad:
Rain King I liked :shock:
Sullivan street saw me hacking away at my wrists with the rusty razor blades, because this was preferable to listening to the drivel coming out of my speakers, and this continued through all the remaining tracks...

So all in all not going to go on my repeat play list at all, the lead singer??'s voice is like monotony personified....
:rol: :rol: :rol:

Nevermind Faaip & Ges at least we have sent Hector totally round the bend, ready-made for the care home no doubt :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I wonder what Haighy or any others think :duno:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:53 am :rol: :rol: :rol:

Nevermind Faaip & Ges at least we have sent Hector totally round the bend, ready-made for the care home no doubt :lol:

It confirms it, his taste button was removed at an early age.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

hector wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:33 am Counting Crows...OMFG where do I begin......

on hearing Omaha I put them in the sink to help them go rusty :cry: :cry:
Rain King I liked :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't beat around the Bush Hector. If you don't like it just say :roflmao:
'
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So some comments.

First three tracks... Meh.
Track 4 on 10.
The tag line Why Go On repeats again and again. Like it ...a proper metal stomper.

Black. Was this a hit somewhere? What a tune. Love it. Anthemic. I can just see myself. Nice Summer evening, some big festival,pint of cider in hand and Pearl Jam playing this monster.

Jeremy.
Oceans
Porch all three were basic fare.
Garden. Moody. Liked the wailing guitarwork.

Deep. Slightly Jazzy , Funky but with that underbelly of steel Strange tune tbh.

Release. Superb. What a way to end the album.

Overall this album had enough to get me to listen again. So on the list it goes.

Mainly because of Black.
:star: :star: :star: and a half.
'
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Have given this a few listens now. If it's supposed to grow on you, I'm afraid it hasn't with me.

I can't say I really disliked it, but then it would never bother me if I never heard it again. Mr Jones is an OK track, but I'm somewhat struggling to see where some of you see 5 ***** here, I'm afraid. Not as anti as Hector, probably there or thereabouts with Ian's view on this one.

:moggy:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lets hope Haighy has his crows ears on :)

This is soul-destroying :verysad:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We could do with some of our Prem/Champs/L1/L2 Poll players reviewing 'August' as the album attracted plenty of votes on that topic, so much so it achieved three promotions to the premiership
hector

Post by hector »

Pearl Jam...

Well................

Positives.. it is better than the Crows. in fact after the crows it sounded bloody up beat and melodic, that said...

Lead vocalist can be a bit shouty at times, and to be frank (not spencer) after hearing it in it's entirity I was not ready to play it again, and the vocalists voice was really beginning to get on my nerves..

Another band I shall not be listening to again given the choice..

:star: :star: because it is better than the album I gave 1 star to...

:) :)