A Rallying Call from Rich 1978

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

A Rallying Call from Rich 1978

Post by faaip » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 pm

As posted over on Waccoe by wordsmith and Admin over there Rich1978, thanks for the loan

"15 years coming, a fans call to arms.

We have been burnt and we have suffered, we have been humiliated and cruelly tricked by false dawns beyond number. We have thrown away golden opportunities and self-destructed on more occasions than any of us are able to erase from our memories. We have laughed joyless laughs from a place of gallows humour when farcical management by charlatans or criminals have made us a national laughing stock. We have smiled thin smiles when the futility of our rudderless descent has forced us to disengage for the sake of our sanity and retreat to the solace of fading memories. We have seethed silently when farcical demise (Histon, Newport et al - too many to recall, too hard to forget) has afforded nobody fans from nothing clubs the opportunity, so gleefully accepted, to gloat and ridicule us. Thick skinned as we are, their words hurt us far less than the grudging realisation that our descent has meant they are so emboldened as to feel they are our equals, or that their 'rivalry' is relevant to us, it is not.

We have been at Wembley for Doncaster, we have been at Cardiff for Watford, the small interim moments of elation and hope only serving to set us up for the bigger fall, a ride we always seem to take, a fall we always charge headlong towards. Battered, bruised but unbended and unbroken. A decade and a half in the wilderness has hurt but ultimately it has only served to unite us further, to strengthen the resolve of those of us hardened and unrepentant individuals left.

15 years coming and now we are where we are; a familiar feeling of foreboding and dread, the prize dangled tantalisingly in front of us... we know the script all too well, the anti-hero is never allowed to prevail, destined to be denied, like a modern day morality tale. 'Dirty Leeds', 'Vile Animals', 'the Beaten and the Damned'.... but with the acknowledgement that maybe this time it is a just a little bit different. Bielsa on his bucket; stoical, strong, measured and with a presence that commands respect. Understated but unapologetic (as his 'Spygate' masterclass press conference demonstrates). Strong words softly spoken...he is Leeds.

Leeds fans are a rabble, a mob, but we are everywhere; a virus they cant kill, a horde able to swarm a city anywhere on the globe at a moment's notice when United are in town. For too long we've been disparate and disbelieving, divided and absent a focus or a leader like Bielsa

The team, despite its deficiencies, has shown an unashamed passion, tireless workrate, character and unrepentant desire that has doggedly persisted over a season that in days gone by would have inevitably imploded by now. Greater than the sum of its parts, this is the closest knit team we have had in years, a unit that wants to deliver, finally again, a team worthy of our name. They know the weight and promise of their legacy should they pull this off and for once, they aren't shying away from it.

With 5 games to go we need to remember who we, the fans, are. It takes a special level of unashamed stubbornness and loyalty to persist with Leeds, (as if we ever had a choice!) Born with a chip on our shoulders and an individual identity so strong that opposing fans revile us but will always grudgingly, if never vocalised, respect us. We are proud to be the black sheep, we revel in it, cocksure and proud, All Leeds aren't we.

The team needs us and it needs our blind faith. It needs our belligerence and imposing raucousness like only Leeds fans can provide. It has remembered what it is to be Leeds, it is a long time since we have had a team who understand that. Whatever happens in these next five games we need to impose ourselves on the games like never before and give it all. Raise the roof, the horde finally coalescing, the Fortress Elland Road that used to 'frighten' old red nose Ferguson. The nastiest and strongest bunch of fans in the world, we fear no foe and we now need to scare the opposition players and fans into meek submission. United and focused on the return so often hoped for and so oft promised, now so tangible and so close. No balls, no babies, it's now or never, leave the doubts and the criticism behind, they serve no purpose now, however valid they may sometimes be. One cauldron of uncontainable vicious energy and irrepressible passion to drive us back to where we should never have left, united behind Bielsa's banner, an unstoppable force unable to be denied. Get into them, f**k them up, blood on your boots, we are LEEDS!

Time to step up, time to make it count, it's OUR time.

5 games, 15 years coming..."
Last edited by faaip on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Best starting 11 - Meslier - Dallas - White - Berardi - Davis - Phillips - Hernandez - Klich* - Harrison - Gotts - Costa

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Re: A Rallying Call from Rich 1978

Post by leic white 63 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:10 pm

brilliant. great post that.

SaraM
First Team
First Team

Post by SaraM » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Fine words. Perfectly put.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Excellent post from Rich

Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Quality

lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Wow, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Brilliant piece!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 pm

The Leeds United version of Henry V act 111 scene 1

rich_leeds64
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Stirring stuff, I hope the players have seen a copy and let it sink in as to what’s at stake and what it means, the team would gain cult status if they could get us promoted

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:07 pm

billie1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 pm
The Leeds United version of Henry V act 111 scene 1
I was thinking the same.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:02 am

Brilliant piece, brought the emotions on as the thought of all those 15 years all us fans have endured.

Haven't slept properly in 3-4 weeks easily, the anxiety, nerves, anticipation is just so great.
I'll be up tonight watching both the Sheffield and Leeds games with massive nerves, we are so close and I'm so close to the Biesla tattoo :) legend status on a shoe string budget.
M. O. T

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 am

Nerves, ...tell me about it ! I went down to a spa resort yesterday to try and relax. It worked really well and I'm well and truly ready for today but I fear I'll need more spa treatments before the end of this marathon season. C'mon Leeds you can do it !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 am

BGwhite wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 am
Nerves, ...tell me about it ! I went down to a spa resort yesterday to try and relax. It worked really well and I'm well and truly ready for today but I fear I'll need more spa treatments before the end of this marathon season. C'mon Leeds you can do it !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Similar.... I went to the local Spar, 6 bottles of ale and a bag of Chilli Heatwave in preparation. ;-)

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am

gessa wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 am
Similar.... I went to the local Spar, 6 bottles of ale and a bag of Chilli Heatwave in preparation. ;-)
Chilli Heatwave ..thought you weren't allowed any stress on the eye. ;-)
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Best starting 11 - Meslier - Dallas - White - Berardi - Davis - Phillips - Hernandez - Klich* - Harrison - Gotts - Costa

Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 am

15 years of hurt.
Come on boys, you will go down In history if you return us to where we belong.
Now is the time.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:56 am

faaip wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am
Chilli Heatwave ..thought you weren't allowed any stress on the eye. ;-)
I know, no drink for 2 weeks either,I did manage a small beer last night though, no alcohol is a choice not an order.

Advertisment