Dwight Gayle

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Dwight Gayle

Post by 1964white »

West Bromwich Albion have opted not to sign Newcastle striker Dwight Gayle following his season on loan with the Championship play-off semi-finalists.

"Dwight's contract is a Premier League contract," Albion technical director Luke Dowling told BBC WM.

"We will pay Premier League contracts but only when we are back in the Premier League.

"I know it won't be the news Albion fans want to hear, but they need to trust us and know we are doing everything right for this football club."

In the wake of recent events at other English Football League clubs, notably at Birmingham City and relegated Bolton Wanderers, Albion are determined to stay within realistic budgets.

"We don't want to keep players on big contracts and then have to lay off normal staff and make people redundant," added Dowling.

"We have good people behind the scenes. We want to do that and still have a really competitive wage bill on the pitch, which we will have next year."

Former Peterborough United and Crystal Palace striker Gayle, 28, ended up with 24 goals for Albion - a season's best total - just outscoring strike partner Jay Rodriguez, who got 22.

Only three Championship strikers scored more goals - Norwich's Teemu Pukki (29), Aston Villa loan man Tammy Abraham (26) and Brentford's Neal Maupay (25).

But Gayle's season was soured when, after putting Albion ahead in the play-off semi-final first leg at Villa Park, he rashly got sent off and missed the second leg at The Hawthorns.

Ex-England international Gareth Barry and Scotland midfielder James Morrison are among five players not offered new deals by managerless West Bromwich Albion after missing out on promotion.

However, they have been told they could stay if the incoming head coach wants them and they have not found new clubs.

Goalkeeper Boaz Myhill, defender Tyrone Mears and midfielder Wes Hoolahan are the others not on the retained list.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Dwight Gayle

Post by SG90 »

No chance. WBA couldn't even afford to keep him with their parachute payments. This is the problem with wages in the PL, even reserve players are on ridiculous wages and the players won't budge.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Gayle is on 40k I read.

What is better value? A proven striker or an untried young loanee? Ala Brown and Harrison.

Saying that any strikers who simulate fouls get up my nose.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

As SG has implied Gayle's salary is beyond any championship club could afford unless Newcastle are prepared to pay 66% of his wages if they send him out on loan again
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:25 am As SG has implied Gayle's salary is beyond any championship club could afford unless Newcastle are prepared to pay 66% of his wages if they send him out on loan again
The only way I could see it is with a swap for Roofe. But even then, Roofe is on £8k a week, so it would massively drive up the wage bill. Not a chance of it happening. Maybe off to Tesco on loan?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Hope he doesn’t join us, as I’d find it difficult to cheer for him, only time I cheered for him in the past was when I heard he’d got thumped in a night club and he’s shown in the past he dislikes us so would only be coming for the money
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Worth the risk tbh scores goals for fun at this level. If we only bring in 2 or 3 he had to be one of them. If we don't them someone else will

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
CarelessAir
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by CarelessAir »

I know there's been a lot of digging up old threads lately, but what's Gayle up to these days?

I know he's the wrong side of 30 but surely he can still gobble up Championship goals like Pacman? Might as well start planning for next season now, our collective mental health must surely be rock bottom, we need some form of hope or copium.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CarelessAir wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:42 am I know there's been a lot of digging up old threads lately, but what's Gayle up to these days?

I know he's the wrong side of 30 but surely he can still gobble up Championship goals like Pacman? Might as well start planning for next season now, our collective mental health must surely be rock bottom, we need some form of hope or copium.
Hasnt played much for 4 years though.

33 nearly as well and doubt his wages would be cheap.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CarelessAir wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:42 am I know there's been a lot of digging up old threads lately, but what's Gayle up to these days?

Omg please, we haven't stooped this low Shirley :cry:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 am Gayle is on 40k I read.

What is better value? A proven striker or an untried young loanee? Ala Brown and Harrison.

Saying that any strikers who simulate fouls get up my nose.
We paid more wages on JKA, and he wasn't good....