The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 31st May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 31st May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Jamie Shackleton has been called up to England's U20s squad for the Maurice Revello Tournament in Toulon.

Shacks has featured 24 times for the Whites last term.

He'll be joined by Tom Pearce, who lifted the trophy last year with England.

Leeds have set aside £5m this summer purely to fund short-term loan signings that will give Marcelo Bielsa the best squad with which to work.

That money will cover loan fees and salaries, with the Leeds boss having a major say in who the club opt to sign.

It is believed that Leeds have set aside £5m this summer purely to fund short-term loans and their salaries

Is that enough. Harry Wilson cost Derby 3m.

Leeds had the option to take the 22yo on loan last season but refused to pay the 3m asking price!

Danny Mills has been voicing his concerns about Bielsa, that the 63yo could still walk out on Leeds if the club fail to deliver their promise on players:-

“I believe he was always happy to stay, definitely,”

“There are no issues with where he lives or the club. He really likes being at Leeds.

“What was the sticking point? From what I hear, he clearly believes he needs to add players to what’s been a thin squad hit by injuries.

“He wants one or two targets, and won’t have stayed unless the club agreed to get them.

“They would be massively important to him.

“It’s be down to transfers and budgets. Leeds should be very careful about what they do and promise Marcelo Bielsa.

“He is a man of principle. If he doesn’t get what he wants by the time the transfer window closes, he could just walk out.

“He’s done it before at other clubs.”
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 31st May)

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Morning Eb and all.

Congratulations Shacks, just reward for a fantastic breakthrough season.

£5mill doesnt sound like a huge amount. Thatd cover 2-3 top loan players wages without the loan fee. Although the notion of a loan fee astounds me, if the parent club is willing to loan the player that means they arent good enough at that time for the first team right? So why charge to send them out AND insist on a portion of/all of the wages being paid too?

Can Danny Mills give it a bloody rest? We are only about a week into our off season and i am already sick to death hearing what he has to say? Has he not got anything else better to talk about?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Danny Mills blah blah blah blah blah blah
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jamie Shackleton has been called up to England's U20s squad for the Maurice Revello Tournament in Toulon.

Congratulations to JS, well deserved. Interesting with Pearce being in the U20s squad seeing a sit doesn't look like he is in Bielsa's plans at all. That said international football might suit him more than the physical nature of the championship.

Leeds have set aside £5m this summer purely to fund short-term loan signings that will give Marcelo Bielsa the best squad with which to work.
That money will cover loan fees and salaries, with the Leeds boss having a major say in who the club opt to sign.

If this is true you would imagine the club is targeting a maximum of 2 loan signings. I think some journalist has probably just plucked this figure out of the air in all honesty as any figure could change on our need, who we sell, how much revenue it brings in etc.

Danny Mills - the player that once said he had no interest in football but that it was just his job - seems to now have a lot of interest in football. Usual pundit sh*te passing of their own thoughts as if they had inside knowledge.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Morning all.

It seemed strange that neither Shack or Clarke received England youth honours. There seems to be a real bias to players on loan from Chelsea if you look at youth squads. Glad to see they've rectified it for Shack. Just hope he isn't tapped up though.

Spending £3m to loan someone for a season makes no sense. Yes perhaps if we'd signed Wilson, we may have gone up, but we could have also ended up in Derby's position as well. If rather look to the continent for loans, rather than spoilt top 6 loans. Bielsa will be a big pull for clubs and players.

I'd had enough of Danny Mills' "expert" opinions now. How many times has he claimed Bielsa won't stay now?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:18 am Morning all.

It seemed strange that neither Shack or Clarke received England youth honours. There seems to be a real bias to players on loan from Chelsea if you look at youth squads. Glad to see they've rectified it for Shack. Just hope he isn't tapped up though.

Spending £3m to loan someone for a season makes no sense. Yes perhaps if we'd signed Wilson, we may have gone up, but we could have also ended up in Derby's position as well. If rather look to the continent for loans, rather than spoilt top 6 loans. Bielsa will be a big pull for clubs and players.

I'd had enough of Danny Mills' "expert" opinions now. How many times has he claimed Bielsa won't stay now?
Like a broken watch he'll be right at some point.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:18 am Morning all.

Morning SG90.

If we had signed Wilson for last season, not only would we have gone up (imo), but we would have gone up as Champions.

It would have been:-

WACCOTC....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:27 am Morning Eb and all.

Congratulations Shacks, just reward for a fantastic breakthrough season.

£5mill doesnt sound like a huge amount. Thatd cover 2-3 top loan players wages without the loan fee. Although the notion of a loan fee astounds me, if the parent club is willing to loan the player that means they arent good enough at that time for the first team right? So why charge to send them out AND insist on a portion of/all of the wages being paid too?

Can Danny Mills give it a bloody rest? We are only about a week into our off season and i am already sick to death hearing what he has to say? Has he not got anything else better to talk about?
Morning Hereford,

3 is being ambitious.

I'd say two. If it meant we could get Tammy Abrahams (or Harry Wilson) and Mason Mount than that would be 5m well spent.

The Leeds hierarchy need to be quicker off the mark then they have been in previous seasons!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:12 am Jamie Shackleton has been called up to England's U20s squad for the Maurice Revello Tournament in Toulon.

Congratulations to JS, well deserved. Interesting with Pearce being in the U20s squad seeing a sit doesn't look like he is in Bielsa's plans at all. That said international football might suit him more than the physical nature of the championship.

If this is true you would imagine the club is targeting a maximum of 2 loan signings. I think some journalist has probably just plucked this figure out of the air in all honesty as any figure could change on our need, who we sell, how much revenue it brings in etc.

Danny Mills - the player that once said he had no interest in football but that it was just his job - seems to now have a lot of interest in football. Usual pundit sh*te passing of their own thoughts as if they had inside knowledge.
Morning Weasel, I agree with you, 5m - two good players. If they are two TOP players, that will do.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Morning all,

Brilliant news and deserved for JS.
Still smarting about the play offs and our approach to going up. Wembley was labelled "The £170m game" If we hadnt spent ANYTHING on the players we took in on loan and spent that money on one proven scorer it should have swung it for us.
It is a shame they show ambition with the manager but not with the team
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jamie Shackleton

Voted Shacks as our best young player last season

£5 million for loans

Hope our board don't waste it this time although I think Marcelo will have a big say on future signings, selective & quality is key

Danny Mills

I take no notice of ex-players views
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 am Morning all,

Still smarting about the play offs and our approach to going up. Wembley was labelled "The £170m game" If we hadnt spent ANYTHING on the players we took in on loan and spent that money on one proven scorer it should have swung it for us.
Yes Dalton our loan signings were a waste of space, our actual signings weren't that great as well, need to up our game in that department. Hopefully Marcelo's influence will resolve the problem
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Dalton wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 am Morning all,

We did spend a lot of money on a proven goalscorer, £7m+, however he got injured. If Bamford had have been fit all season or Roofe then those extra goals could have made the difference. Too many people writing Bamford off based on a few appearances last season. He clearly didn't look 100% after his injuries and having a fully fit Bamford next season will be like having a new signing.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Think we are underestimating the cost of quality loans, £5mil is all we had last summer which is why we got the dross we did.

Tammy Abraham cost Villa in wages over £2mil plus a loan fee of over £1million and reportedly another £2mil to convince him to stay in January.

Harry Wilson cost a loan fee of between £2-3mil plus wages.

El Ghazi was another few million plus the full £30k wages.

Mings was the same.

Quality loans we be talking maybe 1 for £5mil at best that why i dont like it, it isnt cheap and largely has 0 long term benifit.

We went for the players we did last summer because we wouldn't pay the money (Phil confirmed that regarding Harry Wilson, asked but refused to pay the millions).

If we want the best loan players we will need maybe £8mil minimum for 2 imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom