Player Profile : Kiko Casilla - Billysboots, Chapel, Radebe, White Riot & others to vote

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Player Profile : Kiko Casilla - Billysboots, Chapel, Radebe, White Riot & others to vote

Post by 1964white »

In an effort to keep things lively here on MOT during the summer break I thought I'd profile our squad of players each or every couple of days

We'll start with our main keeper :

Kiko Casilla

Retain as our No.1 keeper for next season ?

Retain as a bench player ?

Move on ?

Rating out of 10 last season
1964white

Re: Player Profile : Kiko Casilla

Post by 1964white »

Retain as our No.1 keeper for next season ? Yes

Retain as a bench player ? No

Move on ? No

Rating out of 10 last season ? 6.5
hector

Post by hector »

Keep the bugger, but get some defenders who know the last man sweeper/keeper system
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

A good keeper will learn from those mistakes, and with a full preseason he'll hopefully build better communication with the defence.

Good shot stopper and generally better command at set pieces than BPF had. Don't think he'd get more than a 6/7 for me though.

Some talk about a release clause, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if he does end up going back to Spain.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kiko Casilla

Retain as our No.1 keeper for next season ? Depends what the alternatives are. Going back to BPF would be a huge downgrade. Are there better options at the club, I don't know enough about the other young keepers. Could we get a better keeper - well that would be down to Orta but in theory getting a keeper with the same level of experience, same ability to play sweeper keeper that would cost us nowt would seem unlikely. As such would be looking to keep him and unless he has that clause and wants to leave I would be looking to strengthen other areas of the team. As such RETAIN

Retain as a bench player ? No - he either starts or has to go. Can't pay those wages for a bench player.

Move on ? Again depends on what the viable alternatives are. Only if we were to sign a significant upgrade would I suggest moving him on.

Rating out of 10 last season 7/10 - made some great early saves but then seemed to be picking the ball out for nearly every shot - always hard to judge whether a keeper could have done better with shots because you make your decision but then it is reliant on the striker shooting how you expect him to. Whenever I played in goal I always preferred it when a decent player was shooting against me because you could get a better read on where they were going to shoot because they would be able to hit it where they wanted to, against players with poor technique I found it harder because often they didn't really have a clue what they wanted to do so the ball could go anywhere and they could totally mishit it but it ends up going in. I have no problem with him coming out of the area and sweeping, he reads the game very well and it is up to the outfield players to get used to it and trust him and get themselves out of his way.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I agree with both Hector and weasel. Casilla is an upgrade on BPF who MB identified as the type of keeper he wants for the system we play. For all the pant wetting that went on after the PO semi, Cooper was at fault for the horror show first goal and KP at fault when Casilla came and missed one. If our back 4 and DM get comfortable with what a sweeper keeper does and start trusting him, we have a very good keeper on our hands.

Retain
No
No
7/10
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Genghers wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 pm A good keeper will learn from those mistakes, and with a full preseason he'll hopefully build better communication with the defence.

Good shot stopper and generally better command at set pieces than BPF had. Don't think he'd get more than a 6/7 for me though.

Some talk about a release clause, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if he does end up going back to Spain.
Ditto 6 out of 10
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Surprised that we're all on the retain side after some of the comments following the semi...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Genghers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 am Surprised that we're all on the retain side after some of the comments following the semi...
I think a lot were quick to judge in the immediate aftermath, fuelled by the opinions of the tv commentators. With proper analysis it became clearer that Kiko wasn't to blame - although some still retain that opinion.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:47 pm I agree with both Hector and weasel. Casilla is an upgrade on BPF who MB identified as the type of keeper he wants for the system we play. For all the pant wetting that went on after the PO semi, Cooper was at fault for the horror show first goal and KP at fault when Casilla came and missed one. If our back 4 and DM get comfortable with what a sweeper keeper does and start trusting him, we have a very good keeper on our hands.

Retain
No
No
7/10
Said everything I was going to and more. He had half a season settling into a new team, complex new system etc, and he was Real Madrid's no.3 so needed time to get back into the cut and thrust of regular action. Logic dictates that his performance will improve next season, so no need for a knee-jerk reaction that we will regret later.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 am Surprised that we're all on the retain side after some of the comments following the semi...
Cooper was as much to blame if not more.

Those who were critical of Kika haven't posted on this topic I suspect.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:47 pm I agree with both Hector and weasel. Casilla is an upgrade on BPF who MB identified as the type of keeper he wants for the system we play. For all the pant wetting that went on after the PO semi, Cooper was at fault for the horror show first goal and KP at fault when Casilla came and missed one. If our back 4 and DM get comfortable with what a sweeper keeper does and start trusting him, we have a very good keeper on our hands.

Retain
No
No
7/10
This :tup: :clap: :tup:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Kiko is well having to settle & is vastly experienced for this league.
Quality isn't in doubt cannot see another keeper replacing him. Though the point of view about settling in and getting to grips with culture& new players is paramount.
No,& No.
Rating for me would be a 7.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Looking at him after the dust has settled, he is quality, is new to English football doesn’t have the language, you would hope the past few months will stand to him next season and that he justifies the reputation he came with.
Keep in the first 11, 6/10
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Mostly agree with what others have said, and would give him a 6.5.

He seems confident, so will hopefully inspire confidence in the defence once they are used to him. Getting that right will be crucial to competing for promotion.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Kiko to stay.

I give him a 6.

First half of last season we saw a defence that didn’t seem to trust their keeper which switched to a keeper who didn’t trust its defence after Kiko arrived.

It seemed the latter was more costly than the former results wise.

Hopefully pre season will contribute towards their harmony.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:19 am First half of last season we saw a defence that didn’t seem to trust their keeper which switched to a keeper who didn’t trust its defence after Kiko arrived.

It seemed the latter was more costly than the former results wise.
I think it was possibly more a case of results being at a crucial stage when the mix ups occurred involving Kiko and the defence. BPF cost us a fair few goals and points but because it wasn't in the play-off second leg it wasn't as important.

If you take the Derby equaliser in the play-off second leg and had BPF in net I still think Cooper panics with the striker bearing down on him and makes a hash of the clearance leading to the striker having an easy opportunity as likely BPF would be a few yards off his line but between where Cooper makes initial contact with the ball and the middle of the goal. The striker then still has an easy job to put the ball in the net as BPF wouldn't be in the position to make a save.

The keeper and keeper position is irrelevant in the goal as it is still Cooper making a hash of it. With Kiko in net there is the chance he rescues Cooper by getting to the ball before Cooper and clearing it, with BPF in net there is the chance he rescues Cooper by making a save after Cooper makes the hashed clearance.

If we completely remove Cooper from the incident and then see how it plays out. With Cooper not involved in the incident then there is no goal as Kiko would comfortably get to the ball before the Derby striker and hoof it clear (or dribble round him) - however if the same scenario existed and BPF was in net then BPF isn't going to get to the ball first as he wouldn't have been out as far so the striker simply gets to the ball and is clean through on goal to take a shot against BPF.

That's why it is hard to judge keepers because in the scenarios where Cooper is removed then Kiko clears the ball and stats wise hasn't made a save. Whereas because BPF wouldn't have been in the position to clear the ball he might actually then end up saving the shot from the striker, statistically then BPF looks like the better keeper having made a save - however the better keeper in the scenario for me is Kiko who removes any danger but doesn't have it classed as making a save.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Keeper position is entirely relevant Weasel. I still believe Kiko has distracted Cooper from his clearance. You can see it in from the original camera position. A very slight movement of Coops head as he sees Kiko. He didn't need to come, the angles aren't in our favour. Esrlier he was outside his area and gave them a free shot at goal.

An onrushing keeper halves the reaction time of his defenders, it also removes the option of a back pass from the equation.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 am Keeper position is entirely relevant Weasel. I still believe Kiko has distracted Cooper from his clearance. You can see it in from the original camera position. A very slight movement of Coops head as he sees Kiko. He didn't need to come, the angles aren't in our favour. Esrlier he was outside his area and gave them a free shot at goal.

An onrushing keeper halves the reaction time of his defenders, it also removes the option of a back pass from the equation.
Interesting that you completely disregard the point made about if Cooper wasn't there that Kiko comfortably gets to the ball first and comfortably clears it. Yes Cooper may have been distracted but it still doesn't mean Kiko was wrong as he was going to get to the ball before the Derby striker. Cooper's lack of awareness was the reason for the goal. Kiko came - the angles were in his favour, he would have got to the ball before the Derby player.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:58 pm Interesting that you completely disregard the point made about if Cooper wasn't there that Kiko comfortably gets to the ball first and comfortably clears it. Yes Cooper may have been distracted but it still doesn't mean Kiko was wrong as he was going to get to the ball before the Derby striker. Cooper's lack of awareness was the reason for the goal. Kiko came - the angles were in his favour, he would have got to the ball before the Derby player.
I read what you said about what you think might have happened if Coop hadn’t been there. But he was there, trying to do his job until the keeper came out prematurely and interfered with what he was trying to do. That distraction caused Coop to lose half a stride causing him to swing and miss.

At what point in Derby’s attack should he have left it to Kiko? Like 10 mins earlier when he left them an open goal?

Defenders need to defend.

I don’t want to be black and white about this, looking throughout the game both players let us down but allowing Derby back into the game falls at the keepers door more than anyone else. Imo.

Oh and another thing, it has been mentioned already elsewhere about the language barrier it about time MB decided to put to use his English. He needs to get through to his players in the dressing room in tough games like the one we lost last month.
'