The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 6th June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 6th June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leading French journalist Julien Laurens revealed yesterday on the Jim White Show (on Talksport) that QSI are expected to take full control of Leeds Utd sooner rather then later!

“The owners of PSG, the Qatar Royal Family, are very keen on buying Leeds,” Laurens revealed.

“They know the owner there very well, Nasser Al-Khelaifi, who is the PSG chairman and who is very close to the Qatar Royal Family and he is very good friends with Radrizzani [the Leeds owner].

“Just to explain it quickly, there is obviously big competition between the Qatar Royal Family and the Abu Dhabi Royal Family, who own Manchester City.

“And they have expanded their brand everywhere in the world; in Japan, in Australia, in the U.S and the MLS and in Spain as well.

“And in Qatar, they are thinking ‘well, we should be the same really’ to expand the brand and get a few clubs.

“And Leeds would very much be part of that.

“I think they have been in interested in the English market for a long time – they also looked at AS Roma – but it looks like Leeds ticks a lot of the boxes for them.

“I would be very surprised if that takeover doesn’t actually happen. I think it will happen sooner rather than later.”

Meanwhile, the oracle of Leeds Utd journalism Phil Hay is still playing down the rumour, saying the following:-

“They’ve got the money to buy in any time so you’d be daft to discount it. But Leeds are genuinely playing it down, in a way which I wouldn’t expect them to if it was happening.”

According to various reports, Leeds are in a hurry to tie down both Brendon Barker and Jack Harrison on loan for next season from Citah!

Good signings?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 6th June)

Post by The Subhuman »

Ooh we'd be part of a "Brand" a small part but still a part how exciting...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Know nothing about Barker but Harrison will be a much slagged of loan here, despite the fact that MB clearly rates him highly...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:45 am Ooh we'd be part of a "Brand" a small part but still a part how exciting...
As long as it’s not a “Boy Brand” I don’t really mind :-D
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 am Know nothing about Barker but Harrison will be a much slagged of loan here, despite the fact that MB clearly rates him highly...
Ditto that Faaip
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Is it time for the catch cry of 'TOMA' to echo through the Yorkshire Dales once more?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Barker 16 appearances and 2 assists for Preston last year, 22 year old left sided player,
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 am Know nothing about Barker but Harrison will be a much slagged of loan here, despite the fact that MB clearly rates him highly...
Barker was at Preston last season.

Stood out in their team when I saw him.

He's a right winger I believe.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surely we can do better than Barker who is favourite to sign for Celtic, seems no improvement on Harrison

Weak finisher
Weak defensively
Very weak in the air
Had an average rating of 6/10 in twenty games for Preston

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 10.03.07.png
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

If Sky can't shape Leeds to their will with their ruthless propaganda then QSI won't be able to either. Folks need to rememeber a club isn't defined by shareholders or who pumps money into it - it's the fans who shape a club's culture. Leeds cannot be a plastic club, that will happen only when fans allow it to be so. I for one am more or less happy to see us finally get some sort of financial advantage if it leads us back to our days or glory, it's not going to change how I feel about our club nor the great fans in it.

Getting Harrison back, however, might...
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:07 am Surely we can do better than Barker who is favourite to sign for Celtic, seems no improvement on Harrison

Weak finisher
Weak defensively
Very weak in the air
Had an average rating of 6/10 in twenty games for Preston

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 10.03.07.png
This says to me that he's not been used to his strengths, that in 40% of the games he's played as an AMF-L (which we desperately need) he's registered an assist, and his key strengths are in delivery and providing service.

Not saying there aren't better options out there, of course, but just what I took from the stats.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 am Know nothing about Barkerbut Harrison will be a much slagged of loan here, despite the fact that MB clearly rates him highly...
I must have missed something apart from a couple of crosses particularly the one v Derby & two or three decent finishes. Left flank was extremely weak with Alioski & Harrison operating in those positions, needs addressing imminently
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I thought we were relying on loans this year. Yet we just seem to be after more shite who are no better than our own youth.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:22 am I thought we were relying on loans this year. Yet we just seem to be after more shite who are no better than our own youth.
I hope not SG

I'll hang fire until we see the new arrivals, anything like last summers signings & we can forget any notions of promotion. I do believe our management realise that investment for quality signings is required as the championship is an unforgiving league, it's not as if we need to spend a fortune to address certain positions in the squad
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

We're part of a brand
We're part of a brand
We're Despot United
We're part of a brand

Football's going to hell in a handcart, isn't it.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am We're part of a brand
We're part of a brand
We're Despot United
We're part of a brand

Football's going to hell in a handcart, isn't it.
I’d say the Premiership went there years ago, but it still remains our aspiration to get to both places.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The money on offer from the premiership gives hope in some ways that you can bring your youth players through and not have to sell them as soon as they do well. Look at Ajax and cos they get so little tv money their team will now be broken up. If we get to the prem and have young players coming through then we can use the tv money on wages rather than transfers as such we can get to the point where our young players don't need to leave their club for a huge pay rise.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm The money on offer from the premiership gives hope in some ways that you can bring your youth players through and not have to sell them as soon as they do well. Look at Ajax and cos they get so little tv money their team will now be broken up. If we get to the prem and have young players coming through then we can use the tv money on wages rather than transfers as such we can get to the point where our young players don't need to leave their club for a huge pay rise.
If we did go up, I'd rather we spent money on improving facilities and building a better academy to produce at levels of Ajax, Sporting CP, Benfica etc rather than spending fortunes on bang average players.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 pm If we did go up, I'd rather we spent money on improving facilities and building a better academy to produce at levels of Ajax, Sporting CP, Benfica etc rather than spending fortunes on bang average players.
I'm pretty sure we're doing that already, wasn't that one of the main demands made by Bielsa in order to secure his services for next season?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United are targeting loan deals for Wolverhampton Wanderers winger Helder Costa and young Brighton defender Ben White.

The pair are on United’s radar as Marcelo Bielsa pushes to secure a number of his targets before Leeds begin pre-season training at the end of this month.

Costa, the Portuguese who Wolves signed from Benfica for a record £13m in 2017, would represent a significant coup and is expected to be made available in this window after a bit-part role in the Premier League last season.

United will be priced out of a deal if Wolves attempt to move Costa on permanently but the Elland Road club are looking to see if an agreement can be reached with Wolves and Costa’s agent, Jorge Mendes.

Costa, 25, was heavily involved in Wanderers’ title-winning year in the Championship in 2017-18 and his pace and direct play has attracted Bielsa’s attention.

White, meanwhile, is back on United’s radar after first drawing interest from West Yorkshire last summer and is wanted by Bielsa to strengthen his centre-back ranks.

The 21-year-old was put forward as an option in Bielsa’s first transfer window as head coach but Bielsa ruled out a move after deciding he had sufficient cover across his backline.

Leeds, however, have continued to monitor White, who spent the 2017-18 season on loan at Newport County and finished last term with Peterborough United in League One.

White is a product of Brighton’s academy and turned professional in 2016 but he has been limited to two League Cup appearances for the club and the centre-back positions at The Amex have been dominated by Shane Duffy and Lewis Dunk. The pair missed just five Premier League games between them this season.

Liam Cooper and Pontus Jansson were Bielsa’s pairing at Elland Road for much of the Championship term but while Cooper is expected to take up a new contract this summer, Jansson’s future will be open to question if major offers materialise for him.

White is seen as competition for both of them, rather than a replacement for either, and he is likely to be made available by Brighton again after the club staved off relegation to the EFL last month.

Whilst Bielsa is keen on landing White, wingers are a priority for the United boss and up to three could arrive at Elland Road before the transfer window closes in August.