Player Profile : Pontus Jansson

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Player Profile : Pontus Jansson

Post by 1964white »

Today's player

Pontus Jansson

Retain as one of our main CB's next season ?

Retain as a bench player ?

Move on ?

Rating out of 10 last season
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Player Profile : Pontus Jansson

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Retain as one of our main CBs next year?
Yes

Retain as a bench player?
Only if two better centre halves are coming in

Definitely dont move on

Rating out of 10 for last season?
8.5 best centre half at the club
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Retain yes unless a silly offer comes in for him and we use that money to build (£10m+)
Bench Nope he’d hate it
Move on See above
Rating Our best CB by far but can loose his head at times 8/10
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Pontus Jansson

Retain as one of our main CB's next season? Well after the easy decisions on the others comes the dilemma. Definitely our best centreback but seemingly 3rd choice by Bielsa. There just seems to be the case that he doesn't fit into what Bielsa wants to build and no matter how shiny that gold cog is if it doesn't fit into the machine then it is no use. Combined with the fact that he would bring in decent money and Bielsa could use it to possibly buy 2 or 3 players that he could fit into his system better and I would say sell. Alan Hansen couldn't get into the starting Scotland defence because the Scotland manager preferred to play the 2 centrebacks that played together at Aberdeen. Individually Hansen was the best defender but getting a good defence is about building a partnership, getting players that compliment the way the other plays, one fast and one good in the air etc, 1 that attacks the ball the other reads the game better etc. So perversely whilst PJ is the best individual centreback selling him may help us get a better defence.

Retain as a bench player? No - he wouldn't be happy and no point having a player we could get decent money for just being our back-up.

Move on? Yes

Rating out of 10 last season: 7
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

We all Love Pontus.
This is a tricky one and much as I'd want him to remain, its possibly the man see's himself bigger than Leeds United right now. For massive fee I'd sell too.
He didn't come to Leeds United to be second fiddle nor deserves to be .Top defender , top tackler & a huge aerial threat. 50/50 for me.
Rating would be 9.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I'm (again) on the same page as weasel here. Best CB at the club so I would keep him and he'd be starting every game. Bielsa doesn't seem to hold him in that regard for whatever reason. Remember, he only got his place back when Berardi got injured and then didn't get it back in the semi second leg after missing the first.

He's not going to stay to sit on the bench, however much he loves the club - he's at the height of his career and needs to be playing every week.

We're likely to need to offload someone if we're to strengthen and I think Pontus would be the one saleable asset I'd lose...

Best CB this season. 9/10
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Ordinarily, you'd say yes, 100%, he's possibly the best CB in the league. But as others have alluded to, there is some doubt as to whether he is a Bielsa player. If he is, or can be, then keep and start. If he's not, and we can get a replacement of equal calibre who fits the style better, then cash in.

No, PJ should be playing, whether that's with us or for someone else

See point one. If we are offered silly money, and if his sale brings in another CB of equal standing, then yes. If we are going to sell him to balance the books and not replace him, then no. As much as Cooper has improved under Bielsa, and as much as I think he was a fine captain on and off the pitch this season, there's no denying there's still a mistake in his game. And he lacks a little bottle in the big games, imho.

Good season, 7.5/10
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Retain as one of our main CB's next season ?

Best CB since we were relegated from the prem. Excellent from when he got his place back at Norwich right up to December time when Pontus achieved a couple of perfect 10/10 performances around December time, since then had a few dodgy games too! All hindsight but had he played in the 2nd leg v Derby we may just have made the play-off final

Rating out of 10 last season

Because of a few really low ratings in the latter part of the season......7.5
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Retain as one of our main cbs, by a distance the best cb we have and if anything we should be buying a cb as good as him to partner him, not even contemplating selling him.

8 . . . .Thought he had a good season overall.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on if a decent offer comes in from the Premiership. With all his qualities there is something missing in him for Bielsa, I don’t think he’d be too bothered.
I’d keep him as our starting center back.
8/10
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on if a decent offer comes in from the Premiership, With all his qualities there is something missing in him for Bielsa, I don’t think he’d be too bothered if he went.
I’d keep him as our starting center back.
8/10
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I think we should keep him and play him, for the reasons others have said.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:46 am Retain as one of our main CB's?

7 Definite
3 Unsure

Move on ?

3 Possibly ?

8 Average Rating
My view wasn't 'unsure' - it was sell (albeit reluctantly)

Combined with the fact that he would bring in decent money and Bielsa could use it to possibly buy 2 or 3 players that he could fit into his system better and I would say sell
hector

Post by hector »

keep here if he wants to be here.....
Showboats a bit much at the wrong time, but that aside... he is the best CB at the club

7.5 for the season... when his head is not here, he is terrible.
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

He’s just scored for Sweden against Malta :tup: :tup: :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:36 pm He’s just scored for Sweden against Malta :tup: :tup: :tup:
A feat our other CB's wont be achieving at international level
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 pm A feat our other CB's wont be achieving at international level
You would think cooper would be close to a Scottish cap?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:32 pm You would think cooper would be close to a Scottish cap?
Not included in the Scottish squad for the current Euro qualifying games
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 pm Not included in the Scottish squad for the current Euro qualifying games
Supposedly Cooper was carrying an injury. Am guessing he would be close to being in the Scotland squad and it would be good if he did get some games as it would help him develop and also bump his price up!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am Supposedly Cooper was carrying an injury. Am guessing he would be close to being in the Scotland squad and it would be good if he did get some games as it would help him develop and also bump his price up!
Nothing to do with injury

The Scots obviously think Cooper is not good enough at international level even though the current Scotland squad is one of the worst ever in their history

Take him away from Bielsa & he would be distinctly average