The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 2nd July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 2nd July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

The opening day of the transfer window saw two very familiar names returning to Thorp Arch.

The ink was still wet when Spurs decided to allow Jack Clark to return to familiar surroundings whilst Jack Harrison too would have had one or two deja vu moments.

Whilst Spurs are looking for long term gain from, Clarke, Cieh have come to an agreement with Leeds that they can purchase Harrison at the end of the season.

Obviously much will depend on promotion!

Brighton central defender Ben White became the third loan signing of the day. Although relatively unknown, the 21yo has caught the eye of Bielsa, and let's be honest, who'd argue with him?

Finally, transfer number four saw Leeds snap up highly rated Carlisle forward Liam McCarron.

Leeds beat a host of other clubs to the 18yo's signature. He will go straight in to Carlos Corberan’s Under-23 squad.

Helder Costa's agent was also in Leeds, finalising a 2m loan deal that will see the 25yo join the lads from LS11 during their 2019-20 campaign.

Leeds will also have to cover the Portuguese International's wages, believed to be (only) £20,000 a week!

The rumour is Wolves are keen to add an option to buy clause!

Aston Villa are believed to be preparing a 20m offer for Kelvin Phillips!!!

Anyone tempted?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 2nd July)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

Option to buy clauses are good thing.

20k a week really isn't a lot for a Premiership player, although Wolves did only get promoted last season.

As for arguing with Bielsa? Well as we have seen, many would.

20 million for Phillips, very tempting. He is a fine footballer, but 20 million is a lot of dosh.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not seeing anything yet on Clarke returning officially.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

G'day folks.

Option to buy clauses are a good thing especially if it makes the original loan cheaper.

Nice to see a new prospect in Mcarron, (with a name like that I bet both Irish international managers will be researching his genealogy pretty soon ) but we still have a huge player roster soaking up resources, it would be great if we saw some more business done the other way.

20m for Phillips. I will believe it when I see it. Watch that dwindle to more like 12m

But.

1. How much would it cost to replace him?
2. Seeing that we have offloaded Clarke -- we have havent we? -- then do we need to sell KP?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:36 am Hi EB et al

Option to buy clauses are good thing.

20k a week really isn't a lot for a Premiership player, although Wolves did only get promoted last season.

As for arguing with Bielsa? Well as we have seen, many would.

20 million for Phillips, very tempting. He is a fine footballer, but 20 million is a lot of dosh.
Evening pal

20k is nothing. What a bargain...

20m tempting. Depends on what gems Orta could uncover
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 am Not seeing anything yet on Clarke returning officially.
Morning Faaip :shock: , I may have jumped the gun an incy wincy bit....

I'll be amazed if it doesn't happen
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:48 am G'day folks.

Option to buy clauses are a good thing especially if it makes the original loan cheaper.

Nice to see a new prospect in Mcarron, (with a name like that I bet both Irish international managers will be researching his genealogy pretty soon ) but we still have a huge player roster soaking up resources, it would be great if we saw some more business done the other way.

20m for Phillips. I will believe it when I see it. Watch that dwindle to more like 12m

But.

1. How much would it cost to replace him?
2. Seeing that we have offloaded Clarke -- we have havent we? -- then do we need to sell KP?
Morning Ian, yes Clarke has gone to Spurs, and looks likely to return to us on a season long loan.

If you were to ask the hierarchy do we need to sell KP, they'd probably come back and ask, does it make good business sense to sell him, especially if the club can get 20m for him?

I see Villa have spashed out between 12-15m on Saints left back Matt Targett.

He could only muster 23 appearances for Fulham last term!!

He's played 40 odd games for Saints in 5 years, though he is only 23.

Massive money..
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've seen too many deals go south when seemingly nailed on..I'm waiting till it's announced.

Most of Phillips' value lies in his potential, he's not the complete DMF by a long way yet. Outstanding season for the lad. I'd probably not take 20 for him, I'd have a chat with Bielsa though and the player to see if he wants to go though, (I put no value on what players say in the press about wanting to stay at Leeds till their 99, It's just politic to say that.)
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 am Not seeing anything yet on Clarke returning officially.
Or leaving, for that matter.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 am Or leaving, for that matter.
I didn't even want to go that far. Wiki still say he's a Leeds player at the moment. Bit wierd
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

On the official Leeds site - Clarke returning on loan.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 am On the official Leeds site - Clarke returning on loan.
And Tottenham paid 9m+ with add-ons and a sell-on clause.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Best of both worlds, with Clarke, for us, I think. If he progresses on from his better displays last season then he hopefully makes a contribution towards promotion, so we get that and the money. If not, then we did well to sell him for that price.

Looking forward to seeing what this new defender lad is like.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 am Best of both worlds, with Clarke, for us, I think. If he progresses on from his better displays last season then he hopefully makes a contribution towards promotion, so we get that and the money. If not, then we did well to sell him for that price.

Looking forward to seeing what this new defender lad is like.
Hi Sara

Best of both worlds only if we arent losing too big a slice of the transfer fee on loan fees and his 20k weekly wage.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 am Hi Sara

Best of both worlds only if we arent losing too big a slice of the transfer fee on loan fees and his 20k weekly wage.
Hi Ian, do we know what the loan fees are? Would you prefer to simply sell him without the loan?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:54 am Hi Ian, do we know what the loan fees are? Would you prefer to simply sell him without the loan?
Not sure if we will ever know.
I would rather have moved him on and reinvested the money elsewhere. Now we will (probably) be obligated to use him even if he is still struggling.
'
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I certainly wouldn't accept £20m for Phillips

What's the point in selling our player of the season

Retain KP at all costs
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

£20k a week might not sound like a lot, but remember it's being added to an already over bulging wage bill and we haven't removed anyone of significance yet. We really need to start shifting players now (not Pontus or KP).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 am I certainly wouldn't accept £20m for Phillips

What's the point in selling our player of the season

Retain KP at all costs
Especially if it goes on inferior players or loans. That is asset stripping.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Afternoon all,

IF we have Clarke back and paying his hefty wages then you have to play him.
I dont see the point of selling to be a bench warmer for Spurs OR us. No point. If he IS that good then he plays.
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains