Pontus Jansson

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Pontus Jansson

Post by Cjay »

Oh Pontus what is going on :(

Since arriving on loan 3 years ago the Swedish cb has been a cult hero amongst Leeds fans.

With his fist pumps to the crowd and his magic hat the giant Sweden cb has become a modern day hero.

A fiery and dominant cb his qualities are undeniable.

Football League Awards team of the season in his first season and PFA Team of the year last season, he is undoubtedly one of the top cbs in the league.

No slight to say that he is our best cb by a way, Cooper, Berardi and Ben White arent on the same level as the Sweden international and recently Captain.

But Pontus is a difficult character, at times it does feel like we are watching the Pontus Jansson show and that may annoy our mercurial Argentinian gaffer.

We know Pontus has been told to report back to training later then anyone else.

Various sources have stated the club want him out, his own brother has made a point of saying Pontus will be here for "as long as the club want him".

Now, i admire MB greatly for what he achieved last season, but if he really does want Pontus out then i think that is wrong, after all why would you want your best cb out?

Ben White is a kid who has played half a season in League 1, Liam Cooper while much improved showed in the playoff Semi Final he isnt reliable and Berardi the same.

Is it a clash of egos with MB and Pontus? Is it money for the club?

If we sell Pontus cheap that would be ridiculous, if we sell him to Fulham then that would be insane.

However if we sell him for a good price, say £10mil then we sign a replacement then ok if he is good enough.

We cant go into next season with Cooper, White and Berardi as our cbs, if nothing else none of them are over 6ft1 and we were bad enough from set pieces with Pontus.

Pontus is a favourite of many of ours, but can accept he may have faults that may upset MB.

Can Pontus be saved or will we lose our Swede?

If we lose him crucially will we spend the money to replace him?

And if he does go how will he he remembered by our fans?
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Save our Swede?

Post by Cjay »

:verysad:
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sometimes players don't fit the system, he's a great defender when we don't have the ball (though to blame for a few goals last season) but ball at feet he offers virtually nothing. McCormack was another player who's presence completely unbalanced the rest of the team.

Pontus may also be disruptive in the dressing room, he should be captain and the fact he's not makes you what the issue is.

Best central defender we've had in years but maybe holding the side back now with his antics
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Also think he forms a poor partnership with Cooper, that's not a very good defensive pairing. Fairly sure PJ/Beradi partnership would be way to volatile. Maybe White and PJ but then you need a new captain and I'm not sure that's going to happen, it should though...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

If he is having a negative impact on the team, sling him out, but 5million is ridiculously cheap, really looks like they are kicking him out quickly, I wonder what happened?
The logical thing is replace him, but El Loco doesn’t do logic sometimes
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

£5.5m to a rival club for the best CB in the league, an international with 3 years left on his contract. f**k off Italian Bates and take those two goons you brought in with you.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:56 pm If he is having a negative impact on the team, sling him out, but 5million is ridiculously cheap, really looks like they are kicking him out quickly, I wonder what happened?
The logical thing is replace him, but El Loco doesn’t do logic sometimes
I doubt we'd get a similar quality replacement for £5m, I maybe wrong
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:09 pm I doubt we'd get a similar quality replacement for £5m, I maybe wrong
His replacement is Ben White. Radz is asset stripping.

You know what, I've changed my mind. Let's sell our souls to get this prick out of our club.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Sometimes someone just doesn't fit in no matter how good they are. Similar situation many moons ago when Eric Cantona left the club, despite all his talent he didn't fit in with the rest of the team who were all about hard working - when you have a team where the biggest strength is the team spirit and them all working for each other then one player not fitting in can destroy it.

There seems to have always been a niggling doubt over PJ. This seemed even more so last season when Bielsa preferred a Cooper/Berardi combo and despite our misgivings it worked extremely well until Berardi's injury. Now it may be that with everyone fit then Bielsa sees PJ as his 4th choice centreback because he prioritises the defender's ability to play the ball out from the back rather than just their individual defensive attributes. As such is it worth the hassle of keeping PJ at the club if he is going to be back up? That would leave us with a very unhappy player so much better to sell him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

£5.5mil is an insult.

Selling him to another English club especially if it is in this division is insanity.

Bristol City got £13mil for Lloyd Kelly.

Pontus Jansson's brother vehemently defending Pontus.

The club are 100% forcing him out.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

No time for any of the Radz fan club trying to defend this. You're the reason we're stuck here.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Its not like MB hasnt dealt with difficult characters before.

Very odd
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 pm Its not like MB hasnt dealt with difficult characters before.

Very odd
They've been trying to destroy his character since the day after Derby. He was forced out by the club and we'll hear the usual "he didn't want to be here". He wasn't allowed to stay.

Radz is a disgrace.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:26 pm They've been trying to destroy his character since the day after Derby. He was forced out by the club and we'll hear the usual "he didn't want to be here". He wasn't allowed to stay.

Radz is a disgrace.
They were trying to sell him last summer, tons of people said that and he even said himself he choose to stay.

If he goes to a Championship rival then it will be an utter disgrace.

£5.5mil is nothing.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:06 pm £5.5m to a rival club for the best CB in the league, an international with 3 years left on his contract. f**k off Italian Bates and take those two goons you brought in with you.
This will be Bielsa driven, so maybe f**k off Bielsa is what you mean ?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm This will be Bielsa driven, so maybe f**k off Bielsa is what you mean ?
I'm sure you're right faaip....Only players who Bielsa wants will be staying. Looks as though he wants to keep Phillip's but doesn't want Jansson.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 pm They were trying to sell him last summer, tons of people said that and he even said himself he choose to stay.

If he goes to a Championship rival then it will be an utter disgrace.

£5.5mil is nothing.
I think he was informed of the offer for him and was asked if he wanted to take it up, which he didn't...Which is as it should be. If we were forcing him out he would have been gone by now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So much mis-information out there that fans take as gospel it's untrue.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The fee is pathetic regardless of whether MB supports it.

I appreciate all MB did last season but MB "supported" many things that cost us.

How can selling your best cb for such a tiny fee ever be a positive?

Also even if it was the same as the Arnautovic situation at West Ham (i dont believe it is, i think Pontus is being painted in a very negative light by the club but more to this then that).

West Ham can afford to offload him for a small fee but we are skint?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm I think he was informed of the offer for him and was asked if he wanted to take it up, which he didn't...Which is as it should be. If we were forcing him out he would have been gone by now.
The guy on Waccoe who has apparently been very accurate with information regarding Pontus confirmed it, the club were touting him last summer but he refused to leave.

We are forcing him out now.

Do you think selling our best cb potentially to a rival is a good thing?
Signed

King Cjay