Match Thread - Manchester United vs Leeds United (Wed 17th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Match Thread - Manchester United vs Leeds United (Wed 17th July)

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:11 pm Knowing that I'm surprised he can read words, never mind the game. :roflmao:
Home of education is the city of culture :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm Reading about him he is more a reader of the game.

He certainly isnt a big unit and pound for pound you wouldn't fancy him at a shade over 6ft against someone like Mitrovic in a shoulder to shoulder.

He definitely isnt a commanding cb, may have pace though.
White definitely has a turn of foot
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm It really is.

Kidding ourselves if we think that is a promotion level defence :(
I know we were playing a top class outfit but you see lower-league teams with supposedly less quality than our lot making a fist of it in FA Cup exploits

Did you notice the scum commentators discussing previous Leeds V Man U matches but they failed to mention January 3rd 2010
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:33 pm What would you rather the club do? Sell players so we break even or arrange trips like this that can bring in lots of revenue so we don't need to raise as much money from player sales?

Like you I don't like the club going this sort of distance but as shown by how many fans have turned up we are very popular in Australia and if it brings in money then the club needs to do this sort of thing. I think Bielsa has been 100% right in not taking it seriously and flying the squad out and back with as little time spent there as possible so as to minimise disruption but to be able to do all the meet the fans type events.
Bielsa epitomises professionalism

I suspect he'd have been perturbed by what he saw today

Btw we do sell players, whilst we are in the championship that will always be the case
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Well lads, it's been good bants but time to be off. All I'll say is that today's result aside, I do still think it'll all come together when the season starts. The signings will work wonders, maybe one or two more to come before the window closes, a couple of our most promising youths will make vital contributions, it'll be different to what we saw today. We'll do a little work in the January window too to tide things over. It's our year.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:31 pm He wasn't that slow !
He took an age on the ball and then either set of dribbling before losing it and then getting caught upfield or just passed it sideways way too late to set up a quick break..Attacks died with Pontus probably more than anyone else. Cooper 10 times better on the ball
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We've done everything right so far pre-season for me ..cracking work by all.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:51 pm Btw we do sell players, whilst we are in the championship that will always be the case
Yes but we also haven't had a tour to Australia whilst we have been in the championship. Not sure how much revenue this sort of trip can bring in but must be worthwhile for them to do it - note Man Utd were also out there too!

The more revenue streams the club can bring in then it can only help in terms of us not having to raise as much from player sales in future seasons - might even stop us selling our stadium to ourselves for a vast profit.....
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm God help us then as Pontus was better than those out there today

I just hope White is a godsend, impressed with him on the little bit I've seen of him so far
indeed he was 64 but i feel we need better .
white looks very decent going forward but it remains to be seen if the lad can or is ready to step up to the championship . just feel the way he plays he might leave us horribly exposed at the back .
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:29 pm Stop it Chilli this flying/jet lag lark is really disturbing me ;-)
Sorry 64, I agree that an image of me backing one out at 3am probably isn't the best..
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:49 pm indeed he was 64 but i feel we need better .
white looks very decent going forward but it remains to be seen if the lad can or is ready to step up to the championship . just feel the way he plays he might leave us horribly exposed at the back .
Yes those flurries forward could leave us exposed especially with our defenders who have no pace, we'll see !
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm Yeah I went to Australia in 1998 and the jet lag was horrendous, it took me a week for my body clock to adjust.
For the first few days I was waking up in the middle of the night needing a dump!
And I could hardly keep mu eyes open during the day because I was so tired.
Exactly and the players were expected to play a top side after that. Poorly planned
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 pm I expect had we turned it down it would have been anther stick to beat Rads with "Rads turned down a chance to go to Aus and play our biggest rivals, wtf was he thinking, moron"
True, either way, it hasn’t been planned well either way, not too big a deal though
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:22 pm He took an age on the ball and then either set of dribbling before losing it and then getting caught upfield or just passed it sideways way too late to set up a quick break..Attacks died with Pontus probably more than anyone else. Cooper 10 times better on the ball
Are you serious ?!

And even if he was which I would seriously dispute, he certainly isn't a better defender as shown yet again by the ridiculously clumsy penalty given away again by Cooper yesterday. Schoolkids are told time after time not to dive in and slide in recklessly like that but our skipper gets mugged off by one of the Man U youngsters. Just as he was to blame for the stupid shirt pull against Derby in the 2nd leg.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I am serious, always thought PJ with ball at feet couldn't pick a pass more than 5 yards and that usually 10 seconds too late...Coopers distribution is much better and MB thinks so too it seems because that's what he asks his defenders to do. Not sure why you're pointing out the pen incident, that has nothing to do with on the ball skills and I've already said PJ is the better defender multiple times. Sometimes defenders have to go to ground, had he not it would have been an easy cross across the face of goal..A lot of Kalvins blocks last season were a result of him going to ground.

And a sliding tackle is a legitimate technique imo. Coop just got done by a sublime piece of skill.

The error you're making is you think I think Cooper is a good player ..I'm not saying that I'm saying he's an adequate player, defensively suspect but good on the ball. I'd not have him as captain and would be happier with him on the bench. If PJ was as good with ball at feet as he is tackling/heading etc he'd be playing for a top 10 prem team
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Unsure why we're arguing about a pen 3-0 down in a throw away friendly anyway tbh