Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest - Match Thread

Post by BGwhite »

SG90 wrote:Not scoring goals for me, it's gifting cheap goals away constantly. Bristol City last week and today again.
The defence isn't tall enough ,simple as that. Every set piece into our box will cause problems . Every manager will know how short we are and that will be our downfall. Bielsa like defenders to play out but their primary role is to defend but from set pieces against tall opposition they'll struggle.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:52 pm I agree White's been good, but Jansson has been outstanding for 3 years, so to say he's not in White's class based on 2 games is ridiculous. I said last week the hoofball teams will have a field day against us at set pieces, as the only dominant CB we had was sold. Not going to say Pontus was sh*t because we sold him.
I'm not saying Pontus is s**t either, but he wouldn't have changed that result today imo.

We need to move on from 'if x was still here' because it does nothing for us. Had Beckford stayed we'd have been promoted first season back...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:52 pm I agree White's been good, but Jansson has been outstanding for 3 years, so to say he's not in White's class based on 2 games is ridiculous. I said last week the hoofball teams will have a field day against us at set pieces, as the only dominant CB we had was sold. Not going to say Pontus was sh*t because we sold him.
Not asking you too but how about not mentioning him at all, he's gone and has no bearing on LUFC football going forward.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:45 pm "Jansson clearly not in White's class" based on what?
Jansson did give us more aerial clout though without a doubt. Think I’d sum it up as we’ve got a very good championship defender in and let one very good championship defender (whose face didn’t fit) go.....I’m not sure this squad change will determine the final outcome of the season.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:54 pm The defence isn't tall enough ,simple as that. Every set piece into our box will cause problems . Every manager will know how short we are and that will be our downfall. Bielsa like defenders to play out but their primary role is to defend but from set pieces against tall opposition they'll struggle.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Agreed, especially as our next options are Berardi or Ayling. Colin will be rubbing his hands together when they play us.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:55 pm Not asking you too but how about not mentioning him at all, he's gone and has no bearing on LUFC football going forward.
Because we haven't replaced him, as with Saiz. Really not looking forward to playing the hoofball teams this year as we will gift them goals. As much as we play good football, if we keep gifting every team a goal from a set piece, it will be our ultimate undoing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

If you think I'm being reactionary based on one result, I'm not. This was the same issues we had last season and after Bristol City, I said we still look vulnerable from set pieces and are too reliant on Pablo.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Deja vu.

Positives
Controlled the game.
Kiko may as well have been sat in the stands.
Forest in open play offered nothing.
We created chances.
Pablo being Pablo.
Klich what a pass.
Bamford did everything but score (luck is not on his side).
Harrison continues to improve.
Costa looked really lively.
We should have won

Negatives.
Set pieces, we are going to concede a lot.
We are to short and it will cost us again
You have to kill games of.
MB needed to change it earlier, Costa and Clarke to keep Forest worried.
I dont like Klich, Forshaw and Phillips as a 3, very one paced, we lack a proper 10 still imo and it shows.
We shouldn't need to rely on pens in games like that, we should be winning them regardless of crap refs.

Very disappointed and all to familiar.

Set pieces, not taking chances, bad refs.

MB needs to be more proactive in his subs not reactive.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We have absolutely replaced him with White..As for Saiz I don't remember us being prolific scoring goals while he was here. We have Hernandez, Costa Klich and Harrison that can do the job Saiz did
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Since we replaced Saiz with Forshaw, we've stopped being free scoring and Klich hasn't been the same. You can't play Forshaw, Kilch and Phillips at home, as we have no pace to drive at teams. Costa should start next league game. No point starting him at Salford and then benching him to play the same team again, as we will have no spark.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:49 pm Alioski for Harrison was a strange sub, Jack was excellent throughout and Alio offered nothing when he came on. Agree about the midfield lacking zip, i'd be inclined to move Pablo inside and start Costa wide right. Not too much wrong today that a better ref wouldn't have solved.
Think the change was just to freshen things up.
Ali needs game time to get the zip back.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm Since we replaced Saiz with Forshaw, we've stopped being free scoring and Klich hasn't been the same. You can't play Forshaw, Kilch and Phillips at home, as we have no pace to drive at teams. Costa should start next league game. No point starting him at Salford and then benching him to play the same team again, as we will have no spark.
Agreed
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Pablo, KP, Cooper and Klich all need to be rested on Tuesday. I'd like to see something like this:
Meslier - Alioski - White - Struijk - Berardi - McCalmont - Shack - Costa - Bogusz - Clarke - Nketiah
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Didn't see the game as was travelling up to Yorkshire (staying near Helmsley) but I listened to most of the second half on Radio Leeds once I got far enough north.
Sounded like another game we bossed but couldn't finish them off.
At least we remain unbeaten is the best way to look at it.
What about Bogusz as a number 10?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

very frustrating ...... same old leeds and same poor decisions by the officials.
played well in patches today without having a real cutting edge.

although its disappointing and 2 points dropped at home against a mid table team but i've seen enough we'll be challenging .
we will improve !
Last edited by leic white 63 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:31 pm On the plus side if we play like that every week we win way way more than we don’t.
Only of we convert posession into goals Norfolk.....
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:00 pm Only of we convert posession into goals Norfolk.....
We will do - like last week.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We were nowhere near good enough today, but we still should have won. Just because it's the 2nd game, doesn't mean that is acceptable. We need to set higher standards if we want top 2 (not playoffs as we never win them).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We made two mistakes for the goal. 1) Phillips let the ball bounce rather than just clear it and 2) No one moving to the post anticipating Grabban would put it there, even though he had no room to put it anywhere else.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

3) White grabbed and propelled away (when moving toward the post) from the football when he had a chance to clear...