The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 5th Sept) - Trio of Championship clubs face FFP misery

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 5th Sept) - Trio of Championship clubs face FFP misery

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 5th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Derby, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday investigated over FFP loophole

According to The Times, the English Football League have launched investigations into Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday and Reading over their actions to try and avoid FFP penalties.

The report explains that the EFL have launched independent valuations on Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Readings Stadiums as the trio of clubs tried to exploit a loophole in profit and sustainability rules by purchasing their own stadiums and leasing them back, thus raising enough revenue to stay within the 39m deficit over a three year period.

Morris (Derby) used a separate company to buy the ground for £80m, with a deal to lease it back to the club. Leeds Chairman Andrea Radrizzani has been vocal of hid Derby Counterpart especially after the fuss they made over Spygate.

Speaking at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit, he said:
We should revisit the rules. We were judged as a cheating club when we sent a scout to watch [Derby] training, so they should take a similar view on what I would say is greater cheating by these clubs. For me if it’s cheating to send a scout in a public street, what should be the punishment of selling the stadium to a sister company to increase income of the clubs?

Bamford turns down Republic of Ireland to concentrate on Leeds

Republic of Ireland fans have been laying into Leeds striker Patrick Bamford over his reluctance to switch his allegiance to Mick McCarthy's team as he wants to be fully focused on Leeds.
I spoke to Mick and he asked me to basically change over nationality for the summer games and I said ‘look I had a bad injury last year and I want to concentrate interest of the season with Leeds. I am not saying no, I am just concentrating on Leeds. I haven’t closed any doors, I have not said yes, I have not said no.

Kinnear - “We’re not desperate for investors”

In a recent interview with the BBC, Leeds Managing Director Angus Kinnear was asked if Leeds were close to taking on another investor, after the San Francisco 49ers brought a stake in the club last year.
We’re not desperate for investors. Andrea has been very clear on this but he’s prepared to bring a partner on board if it moves the club more quickly in the right direction or in a sustainable fashion. So it’s not surprising that we have lots of interest because we’re one of the most investable propositions in world football. We’re a one-club city, fantastic stadium, fantastic supporter base, everyone knows we should be in the Premier League, so there’s interest all round the world in terms of investing, but Andrea and I are being patient, we’re waiting for the right person and the right deal and making sure it’s someone we can work with in the long run.
Kinnear went on to say that it was important to get the right investors – like the 49ers – who weren’t disruptive in terms of how the club is run.
They’re supportive, they’re not intrusive and that’s what we’re looking for in another partner.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 5th Sept) - Trio of Championship clubs face FFP misery

Post by Ellandback1 »

Absolutely brilliant

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 5th Sept) - Trio of Championship clubs face FFP misery

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

I did a lot of reading after Pride Park was resold. I do believe it was overpriced but I have an inkling that even if it was valued indepentandly that Derby will still fall with the ffp parameters. Not sure about the other two but at best we can expect is the loophole to be closed and no action taken.

Bamford. He is very wise, he would need to stay injury free for a season or two before considering playing for the Republic. I see he has unleashed a Twitter storm though with some gurning about his lack of commitment. He didnt make ANY commitment iirc.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Ian, I'm no expert, but if an individual or a business make a transaction that know not to be true, isn't that fraud?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:48 am Morning Ian, I'm no expert, but if an individual or a business make a transaction that know not to be true, isn't that fraud?
Morning Chief,

Later I will search out the blog I read written by a Derby supporter who explained the issue very well. He was deeply concerned about the legality of the issue too. It is a bit involved but at the heart of it is these sister companies. Apparently there are three businesses that own different parts of the club. Very shady but hat is the financial world in a nutshell.

Edit. I think I posted it back in April or May on here.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

I agree with Ian on this.
Yes, it could be considered fraud but they will almost certainly consulted some very clever lawyers / accountants prior to exploiting the loophole and consider they have done nothing wrong.
They will no doubt get away with it and the loophole will be closed to prevent other clubs doing the same in the future.
If it had been us however....
You can tell that AR is still very angry about Spygate from his comments and I for one, would love to see Derby get done for it.
They've lost their manager and their two best players from last season and have started poorly this season.....what goes around comes around.

I'm pleased to hear Patrick Bamford has chosen to concentrate on his football at Leeds rather than for the ROI at the moment.
It goes to prove how desperate he is to do well at Leeds and his injury woes last season.
If he has a good season I'm sure Big Mick will come calling again so it's a win, win situation.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:29 am Absolutely brilliant

They don't make them like that any more do they.
Who remembers Love Thy Neighbour? The most un-PC comedy ever made.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:01 am Morning Chief,

Later I will search out the blog I read written by a Derby supporter who explained the issue very well. He was deeply concerned about the legality of the issue too. It is a bit involved but at the heart of it is these sister companies. Apparently there are three businesses that own different parts of the club. Very shady but hat is the financial world in a nutshell.

Edit. I think I posted it back in April or May on here.
Fantastic...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

'
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:33 pm http://priceoffootball.com/derby-county-respectable/

Here is that read I promised.
Brilliant piece