Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still out, no new injury concerns

Post by 1964white » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:57 am

gessa wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 am
Tbf, even he was on the bench,I don't think he would have come on, Roberts was the direct replacement but it was Douglas that came on..
I expected Roberts to come on, was flabbergasted when I saw our No.3 limbering up or shall i say lumbering up :lol:

SG90
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still out, no new injury concerns

Post by SG90 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:05 pm

gessa wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:57 am
They weren't on the bench, Roberts was.
That's what I meant, they should have been on the bench instead. Roberts was never coming on or he'd have been Pablo's replacement.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

SG90
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still out, no new injury concerns

Post by SG90 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm

1964white wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:57 am
I expected Roberts to come on, was flabbergasted when I saw our No.3 limbering up or shall i say lumbering up :lol:
I thought Pablo was coming off for Eddie, which would have made sense.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 30156
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by faaip » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Douglas came on because Bielsa realised our left side had become extremely vunerable. Take off Harrison you either have to play Alio there and no LWB or play someone out of position on the left wing.

If you bring Nketiah on you bring on Costa at the same time and if we haven't scored or need a second that should be around the hour mark. You keep Harrison on as he does deliver quality balls into the box. Lets take two occasions yesterday. The pull back for Bamford was a good ball but Bamford stopped moving into the space as it got delivered and changed direction and headed for goal instead (Which actually put a defender between him and Jack) Patrick was facing away from goal and moving that way as Harrison checked his movement. The pass missed by 5 yards and went to a defender, that makes Harrison look bad but it was all on Bamford.

Then there was the cross which to be fair may have been a touch high for Bamford but he just didn't make the run a forward is supposed to and attack the cross, again making Harrioson look stupid and hence the long look at Bamford from Harrison and Bamford looking sheepish. What that should have looked like was a threatening cross that Bamford had a chance to get on the end on.

Bamford is very good ball at feet, he can hold play up well and takes defenders with him but he takes himself out of the game when he does so. When Roofe did it he kept himself in the box and had the pace to then get back into the move..I think Nketiah can do that too plus he's a much better finisher and that's key. You don't have a finisher on the pitch in any team sport you're going to struggle to score goals, tries baskets touchdowns or whatever..In American football parlance Bamford would be a WR3, solid does the dirty work but not relied on in key areas to get the job done
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

User avatar
becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes
Posts: 17457
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by becchio bear » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 pm

Ok I was there yesterday courtesy of another ticket win :)

Started out a bit stressful as the main car park I was expecting to get in had road closed barriers across it so ended up on a random street in Holbeck :shock: The picking up of the tickets was great, no queue at all and so that part was great. Into the stadium and a Fanta orange for me to calm the nerves lol.

First half of football was amazing. Sublime passing, superb to watch and a goal to boot. Cut to the second half, what the hell happened there? I was sat 6 rows from the front and my seat was right opposite the corner flag near the Kop. Eddie and Costa started warming up, yay thought I. Then Douglas joined them ...... Couldn't believe it when I saw Douglas taking his bib off :zip: I'm sorry but I just don't see what he adds to the team. I think he is lazy and slow, I thought that at the Caraboa Cup game and I thought it again yesterday. Glad Costa came on and was beginning to think that Eddie wouldn't get any game time at all. Yes Bamford does an awful lot of running in midfield etc but quite frankly that is not what he is paid to do. He is our number 9, he is supposed to be a striker, you know the one who scores goals!! He is not doing that. Maybe he should sack being a striker and become a midfielder :duno:

I could see a late snatch and grab from Derby coming and that's exactly what happened. We dominated that game for 50 minutes and then decided to sit back, let them take control, gain in confidence and score :evil: It was so frustrating to watch, I left feeling as if we had lost rather than drawn.

Eddie and Costa need more game time, don't just put them on for 15 or 10 minutes and expect miracles. Our players should not expect a shoe in to the next game, they should be made to feel they have to fight for their position.

As for Klich's penalty :ffpa: absolutely awful. :bear:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by 1964white » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 pm

becchio bear wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 pm
Ok I was there yesterday courtesy of another ticket win :)

Started out a bit stressful as the main car park I was expecting to get in had road closed barriers across it so ended up on a random street in Holbeck :shock: The picking up of the tickets was great, no queue at all and so that part was great. Into the stadium and a Fanta orange for me to calm the nerves lol.

First half of football was amazing. Sublime passing, superb to watch and a goal to boot. Cut to the second half, what the hell happened there? I was sat 6 rows from the front and my seat was right opposite the corner flag near the Kop. Eddie and Costa started warming up, yay thought I. Then Douglas joined them ...... Couldn't believe it when I saw Douglas taking his bib off :zip: I'm sorry but I just don't see what he adds to the team. I think he is lazy and slow, I thought that at the Caraboa Cup game and I thought it again yesterday. Glad Costa came on and was beginning to think that Eddie wouldn't get any game time at all. Yes Bamford does an awful lot of running in midfield etc but quite frankly that is not what he is paid to do. He is our number 9, he is supposed to be a striker, you know the one who scores goals!! He is not doing that. Maybe he should sack being a striker and become a midfielder :duno:

I could see a late snatch and grab from Derby coming and that's exactly what happened. We dominated that game for 50 minutes and then decided to sit back, let them take control, gain in confidence and score :evil: It was so frustrating to watch, I left feeling as if we had lost rather than drawn.

Eddie and Costa need more game time, don't just put them on for 15 or 10 minutes and expect miracles. Our players should not expect a shoe in to the next game, they should be made to feel they have to fight for their position.

As for Klich's penalty :ffpa: absolutely awful. :bear:
Enjoyed that match report young lady :tup:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by 1964white » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 pm

becchio bear wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 pm
Then Douglas joined them ...... Couldn't believe it when I saw Douglas taking his bib off :zip: I'm sorry but I just don't see what he adds to the team. I think he is lazy and slow, I thought that at the Caraboa Cup game and I thought it again yesterday
I'm glad I'm not the only one young lady :| many fans scratching their heads with that sub

I said to my mates around me "I can't see this working but I maybe wrong".....truly wish I was !

User avatar
becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes
Posts: 17457
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by becchio bear » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 pm

1964white wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one young lady :| many fans scratching their heads with that sub

I said to my mates around me "I can't see this working but I maybe wrong".....truly wish I was !
Just adds nothing :duno:

Lad near me was quite funny, Derby players warming up, including Chris Martin :rant: , he shouted "Hey we've been spying on you and guess what... we've discovered Derby County are s**t" :lol: He turned round and to be fair he did laugh.

On another note, I just don't get why people in the West Stand feel the need to jump to their feet whenever the ball is with one our players in a potential goal scoring position. You don't get any nearer and you can't see any better, all you do is cause a domino effect up the stand for everyone to have to stand to get a chance of seeing anything. As I said in my earlier post I was only 6 rows up from the front, right opposite the corner flag, it was a perfect view. Nope, in the second half the row in front of me had to jump up the moment the ball passed the half way line :rant: Utterly ridiculous. Get a ticket in the Kop or South Stand if you want to stand. I would have no problem in the whole stadium being safe standing only.

:bear:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by 1964white » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 pm

becchio bear wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 pm
Just adds nothing :duno:

Lad near me was quite funny, Derby players warming up, including Chris Martin :rant: , he shouted "Hey we've been spying on you and guess what... we've discovered Derby County are s**t" :lol: He turned round and to be fair he did laugh
:lol: :lol: :lol:
becchio bear wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 pm
On another note, I just don't get why people in the West Stand feel the need to jump to their feet whenever the ball is with one our players in a potential goal scoring position. You don't get any nearer and you can't see any better, all you do is cause a domino effect up the stand for everyone to have to stand to get a chance of seeing anything. As I said in my earlier post I was only 6 rows up from the front, right opposite the corner flag, it was a perfect view. Nope, in the second half the row in front of me had to jump up the moment the ball passed the half way line :rant: Utterly ridiculous. Get a ticket in the Kop or South Stand if you want to stand. I would have no problem in the whole stadium being safe standing only.
:bear:
They do it in the East Stand too

I've always stood at games, not a problem for this old fogey & much more comfortable than sitting with no legroom in our cramped stadium

jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 am

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by jindy30 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 am

The hoodoo continues.

Derby offered nothing but after the penalty miss that gave them a boost, and kika had a fumble and suddenly we had to control the game at 1.nil up.

I thought we did well at the.start of the second half.... If anything maybe lets not make the formulae substitutions. Aren't we supposed to be a super fit team. My guess is we woiuld have seen the game out without the defencive changes.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by 1964white » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 am

jindy30 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 am
The hoodoo continues.

Derby offered nothing but after the penalty miss that gave them a boost, and kika had a fumble and suddenly we had to control the game at 1.nil up.

I thought we did well at the.start of the second half.... If anything maybe lets not make the formulae substitutions. Aren't we supposed to be a super fit team. My guess is we woiuld have seen the game out without the defencive changes.
We looked shattered in the last 25 minutes & we are not even out of September yet :shock:

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by hector » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:26 am

I don't think they were shattered, but having switched off after the penalty, they just couldn't switch back on again, so were going through the motions.

Even when super fit, once you have switched off in your mind, it is very very hard to get the enthusiasm back up in a short space of time.

(unless you are being shot at!! )
Ever start typing something and then forget what



:) :)

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by 1964white » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am

hector wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:26 am
I don't think they were shattered, but having switched off after the penalty, they just couldn't switch back on again, so were going through the motions.

Even when super fit, once you have switched off in your mind, it is very very hard to get the enthusiasm back up in a short space of time.

(unless you are being shot at!! )
In other words we lost our momentum which was irretrievable once it had gone

User avatar
SaraM
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by SaraM » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:53 am

hector wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:26 am
I don't think they were shattered, but having switched off after the penalty, they just couldn't switch back on again, so were going through the motions.

Even when super fit, once you have switched off in your mind, it is very very hard to get the enthusiasm back up in a short space of time.

(unless you are being shot at!! )
Fire a few rounds over their heads when they look like slacking. Should do the trick.

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by hector » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am

1964white wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am
In other words we lost our momentum which was irretrievable once it had gone
Yes mate...... nail on head
Ever start typing something and then forget what



:) :)

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 30156
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by faaip » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Don't take Harrison off and Douglas doesn't see the pitch
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73856
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by 1964white » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:14 pm

faaip wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:02 pm
Don't take Harrison off and Douglas doesn't see the pitch
Both Harrison & Pablo should have stayed on, neither were playing badly

Lost our talisman who can create something out of nothing & the pace/work rate of Jack down the flank.

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by hector » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Think Pablo was nobbled, so if he had to come off, replace him with Roberts or like for like with Costa, to keep the attacks going from both sides.
Ever start typing something and then forget what



:) :)

Post Reply

Advertisment