Harry Potter/Book/Author discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Harry Potter

Post by 1964white »

Watching the last 45 minutes of 'Harry Potter' after 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Pile of crap :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

With reading you have to use your imagination to create what the character looks like... with film you rely on someone else's vision and interpretation... and sometimes the two experiences do not coincide.

If that is the case then you often get the feeling that the film has let you down.

Reading is for people who want to take their pleasures slowly, and film is more about instant gratification. It seems to me in this digital age only art forms that are visual will be consumed, and reading also in the main will be done electronically, and the tactile experience of turning a page of a book, or reading a newspaper at breakfast will disappear... no more Sunday mornings in bed with the colour supplement.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

If you like Harry Potter the making of Harry Potter at Warner Brothers studio in Watford is well worth a visit.
I've taken my daughter twice, the first time about 5 years ago and again this year.
They're adding bits to it all the time. The forest and train station had been added since our first visit and Gringotts bank was due to open soon.
Seeing adult visitors turning up dressed as Harry was a bit weird though.
There's being a fan but seriously.....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 am With reading you have to use your imagination to create what the character looks like... with film you rely on someone else's vision and interpretation... and sometimes the two experiences do not coincide.

If that is the case then you often get the feeling that the film has let you down.

Reading is for people who want to take their pleasures slowly, and film is more about instant gratification. It seems to me in this digital age only art forms that are visual will be consumed, and reading also in the main will be done electronically, and the tactile experience of turning a page of a book, or reading a newspaper at breakfast will disappear... no more Sunday mornings in bed with the colour supplement.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Not really worried with how a character looks compared to the film version. Love the Jack Reacher books, a 6'6 ex Army MP...played by Tom Cruise in the film.....I can live with that. Same goes in most book to film adaptations.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on ITV next Sunday at 5.20pm
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 am Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on ITV next Sunday at 5.20pm
You had better hide behind Mrs 64 when the dementors are about then :lol: :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 am You had better hide behind Mrs 64 when the dementors are about then :lol: :lol:
Mrs 64 was cringing & hiding behind me when those snakes & that monstrous whatever it was in yesterday's HP

We didn't watch films like these as kids in the 60's, would have scared the crap out of me :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 am You had better hide behind Mrs 64 when the dementors are about then :lol: :lol:
My turn then next week :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Another name for MOT Mods isn't it?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

faaip wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am Another name for MOT Mods isn't it?
Nah...... that is demented :)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:30 pm Rift War saga by Feist, Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Williams, The really dark, Fionavar Tapastry by Gavriel Kaye and finally the series that starts with the Daggerspell book by Katherine Kerr ( a really engrossing 12 book series that weaves so many stories) are worth reading too. Currently rereading the 850 page Magician which is the first in the Rift War saga. First time in 30 years
I was going to mention “Magician” as one of my faves of the genre, long time since I read it but may well give it a dust down after this thread. Not familiar with the other two but will check them out.

What was the main character called btw, is it Pug or something?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

hector wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm Nah...... that is demented :)
When I worked at the Centre for Scientific Computing in Finland I sometimes forgot my password
for the various computers I used to operate, and when I went for a new password the systems
manager when he gave me a new one it was always the same DEMENTED.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:30 pm I was going to mention “Magician” as one of my faves of the genre, long time since I read it but may well give it a dust down after this thread. Not familiar with the other two but will check them out.

What was the main character called btw, is it Pug or something?
There's a few main characters Pug or Millamber as he becomes, Tomas, his friend who finds the armour, Arutha the prince, a couple of others. Story is continued in Darkness at Sethenon and Silverthorn IIRC

The Daggerspell series (Which I've since remembered is properly called the Deverry Series) is a bit of an acquired taste based as it is on Celtic mythology and their interpretation of reincarnation. The books are set over several lifetimes but all the characters are connected in subsequent lives..And it jumps from timeline to timeline.

The one constant is a never dying wizard who's cursed to not die until he puts right his original wrong. It's very complex and you often find yourself in need of the table of characters past lives to work out the continuing relationship. father and daughter in one time line could be husband and wife in the next .. The Fionavar is fairly short comprising three 300 page books but is much darker. 4 or 5 Canadians I think are transported to a world in turmoil somehow (Been a while since I read it) ..
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Oooh :shock: ...they are really awful, really spooked me

I loved the books and I love the films. Funnily enough, the characters in the films were pretty much as I had imagined them :)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:40 pm There's a few main characters Pug or Millamber as he becomes, Tomas, his friend who finds the armour, Arutha the prince, a couple of others. Story is continued in Darkness at Sethenon and Silverthorn IIRC

The Daggerspell series (Which I've since remembered is properly called the Deverry Series) is a bit of an acquired taste based as it is on Celtic mythology and their interpretation of reincarnation. The books are set over several lifetimes but all the characters are connected in subsequent lives..And it jumps from timeline to timeline.

The one constant is a never dying wizard who's cursed to not die until he puts right his original wrong. It's very complex and you often find yourself in need of the table of characters past lives to work out the continuing relationship. father and daughter in one time line could be husband and wife in the next .. The Fionavar is fairly short comprising three 300 page books but is much darker. 4 or 5 Canadians I think are transported to a world in turmoil somehow (Been a while since I read it) ..
Thanks Faaip, certainly be checking those out.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:30 pm The really dark, Fionavar Tapastry by Gavriel Kaye
This is my favourite fantasy series. Also enjoyed the Daggerspell one.

Nothing beats the first four series of GoT though. I'm still fuming at how they ruined it with series eight. Just have to hope that Martin redeems it by finishing the books at some point.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm This is my favourite fantasy series. Also enjoyed the Daggerspell one.

Nothing beats the first four series of GoT though. I'm still fuming at how they ruined it with series eight. Just have to hope that Martin redeems it by finishing the books at some point.
Have you done Louise Cooper's The Indigo Saga...A clever and engrossing re working of Pandora's Box. 7 books 7 Ills to find and put right
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:50 am Not really worried with how a character looks compared to the film version. Love the Jack Reacher books, a 6'6 ex Army MP...played by Tom Cruise in the film.....I can live with that. Same goes in most book to film adaptations.
Sorry, faaip, we'll agree to differ on this one. Buying the rights to the Reacher books was an ego trip for the diminutive Cruise who will never, in my view, be Jack Reacher. Great books, but the film just made me shake my head and laugh. I know how Hollywood works, you need an A-lister to get films made, but surely there was someone at least 6' tall who could have carried it?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The films aren't great but that's not really down to Cruise imo, he plays the tough guy well enough. The adaptation is poor and the films don't hang together like the books imo.

God knows why they started where they did too, The Killing Floor would have made a great "pilot" film, as would any of the first half dozen. On a separate point Lee Child has lost the plot a bit in the last book or three. Though I did enjoy "No Middle Name" for the insight.