Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread - Unchanged Starting XI for Leeds, Berardi on the Bench

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic
Saturday 1st February 2020 15.00 | Elland Road

Top of the table Leeds face third from bottom Wigan Athletic on Saturday afternoon as the Whites look to extend their 4 point gap between first and third. Although the fixture looks easy on paper, let's remember they beat fellow Promotion hopefuls Sheffield Wednesday midweek, which will give the Latics a renewed confidence ahead of Saturdays clash.

Following their second half heroics, Bielsa is likely to keep faith with the same XI that came from behind to beat Millwall midweek, but with Kelvin Phillips sidelined due to suspension, will the Argentine keep tinkering with the gap in defensive midfield. Gaetano Berardi is back from injury which could lead to Ben White stepping into midfield or will Stuart Dallas retain the role. Can we can expect to see a cameo role from marquee signing Jean-Kevin Augustin? Yhough the 22 year old hitman is likely to be eased in gradually by Bielsa. When the time is right will Bielsa play Bamford and Augustin together or keep with his favoured 4-1-4-1 formation that has been used on 21 occasions so far this term giving the team 9 wins, 6 draws and 6 defeats.

Leeds United have lost just one of their last six league games against Wigan (W3 D2), losing 2-1 at Elland Road last season. Wigan have lost just one of their six away matches against Leeds in all competitions (W3 D2 L1), a 2-0 defeat in December 2013. Among the 78 teams that Leeds have faced at least five times in home games in all competitions, their lowest win record is against Wigan at just 17%. Wigan have won just two of their last 38 away matches in all competitions, though one of those wins was against Leeds last season. Leeds had 36 shots in their 2-1 home league defeat to Wigan last season - the most by a team in a Championship game last season. Wigan are looking to become the first team to beat Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds twice at Elland Road in the Championship.

Ref Watch - Tony Harrington
Interestingly, Tuesdays fourth official against Millwall will be the referee for Saturdays game against Wigan. Tony Harrington returns to Leeds after recently taking charge of the 3-3 draw v Cardiff in Dec. Notably not giving us a penalty when Costa was brought down, though he did give us a penalty later on in the game. Before the Cardiff game, he reffed us for our 2-1 home win against Bolton last season, giving us a penalty that Bamford put away. He also officiated our 0-2 Cup loss to Preston at home, giving them a penalty after two mins.

Leeds stats: G11 W3 D4 L4 showing 14 Yellows & no Reds. Awarding 3 penalties for & 2 against.
Wigan stats: G9 W4 D1 L4 showing 17 Yellows & 1 Red. Awarding 1 penalty for & 1 against.

Referee information from @El_Loco_Jo

Leeds Starting XI:
Casilla, Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, White, Costa, Klich, Hernández, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Meslier, Casey, Berardi, Shackleton, Poveda, Stevens, Roberts
gessa

Re: Leeds Utd v Wigan Athletic Match Thread

Post by gessa »

No doubt it will be the same team with just the addition of JKA on the bench.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

gessa wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:50 pm No doubt it will be the same team with just the addition of JKA on the bench.

Berra is back. White to DM?

Though I think Dallas did a decent job on Tuesday night.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I'm dreading this game in fear of a repeat of last season. If there's a game besides Millwall to get the players up and focused on 3 pts it has to be this one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

gessa

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:09 pm Berra is back. White to DM?

Though I think Dallas did a decent job on Tuesday night.
I just don't think MB will change anything, just ask them to perform as they did Tuesday night, especially second half.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:22 pm I'm dreading this game in fear of a repeat of last season. If there's a game besides Millwall to get the players up and focused on 3 pts it has to be this one.

No Reece James this season mind. He was our assassin last time out.

Definitely need another win to get the fear factor back.

Also, I didn't look at the lineup last time so did I see that right, Dallas was DM?
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

That comeback midweek will do more for our players than a 5-0 win.

Stick to the same team - If Paddy misses a chance he should have scored - get him off. We need to be taking more chances and we have a guy on the bench who could be the missing piece of the jigsaw.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I like the sound of our bench.

Shacks, Roberts, Poveda and JK.

PACE!!!!
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd like it better starting..

Casilla

Ayling White Berardi Alioski

Dallas

Costa Klich Hernandez Harrison

JayKay

For me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 pm Also, I didn't look at the lineup last time so did I see that right, Dallas was DM?

Yeah, though White stepped into DM towards the end of the game.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:31 pm Yeah, though White stepped into DM towards the end of the game.
I remember wondering what position he was playing, didn't clock on. Good job considering neither goal conceded came from open play.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Why are they called the L-a-tics when the club is Wigan Athl-e-tic? Does my head in.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:40 pm I just don't think MB will change anything, just ask them to perform as they did Tuesday night, especially second half.
Agree mate :tup:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:02 pm Why are they called the L-a-tics when the club is Wigan Athl-e-tic? Does my head in.
First Wigan Athletic game was1932/33. The locals pronounced Athletic as Athlatic....hence The Latics
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

......googled it for you so it might not do your head in anymore :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:02 pm ......googled it for you so it might not do your head in anymore :)
Thanks! Although if they've had 88 years to correct their mistake, I'm not sure what the excuse is now!
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

SaraM wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:29 pm Thanks! Although if they've had 88 years to correct their mistake, I'm not sure what the excuse is now!

So it's down to them being stupid Lancastrians, mystery solved!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:35 pm So it's down to them being stupid Lancastrians, mystery solved!
Nail on head.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SaraM wrote: Nail on head.
Or even. ..nail ont 'hed.

BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Last year a prominent part of our downfall featured Wigan and QPR.
This year we played reasonably well at QPR and lost.
Please, please get the job done against t'latics.