I wonder.....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

I wonder.....

Post by 1964white »

Unless the Mrs gets her clippers out or worse still us men risk a do-it-yourself job.

Will we end up looking like this when we come out of coronavirus

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.30.55.png
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.30.55.png (114.75 KiB) Viewed 2679 times

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.36.01.png

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.38.22.png
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.38.22.png (156.94 KiB) Viewed 2679 times

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.39.55.png
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 10.39.55.png (140.34 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Muppet the Cat

Re: I wonder.....

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Growing as a kid in the 70’s I recall only too well the horrors of a home haircut.

Whilst not actually using a bowl my mother may as well have, albeit an uneven bowl !

She’d sit me on one of the kitchen stools with a tea towel around my shoulders and start snipping away with usually horrific consequences, likely to be mocked at school the following week (although to be fair most kids, well boys anyway, suffered the same fate).

To this day I recall the occasion when I came down into the kitchen one Saturday morning to see her setting up the kitchen stool in preparation for a hair cutting session. So a quick dart past her and into the garden, where I proceeded to climb one of the trees (garden used to part of an old orchard) knowing I was out of haircut harms way :) .........well I was until my Dad got home and got the hose pipe out and stood there soaking me until I came down........to a more than run of the mill clip round the ear :verysad: and out of spite (I’m sure) a hair cut a good inch or two shorter than it would have been without my arboricultural adventure :roll:

You live and learn..........no bloody Childline in those days :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Great story Cat :)

No chance avoiding a clip round the ear in those days, didn't do me & our kid any harm
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:43 am Growing as a kid in the 70’s I recall only too well the horrors of a home haircut.

Whilst not actually using a bowl my mother may as well have, albeit an uneven bowl !

She’d sit me on one of the kitchen stools with a tea towel around my shoulders and start snipping away with usually horrific consequences, likely to be mocked at school the following week (although to be fair most kids, well boys anyway, suffered the same fate).

To this day I recall the occasion when I came down into the kitchen one Saturday morning to see her setting up the kitchen stool in preparation for a hair cutting session. So a quick dart past her and into the garden, where I proceeded to climb one of the trees (garden used to part of an old orchard) knowing I was out of haircut harms way :) .........well I was until my Dad got home and got the hose pipe out and stood there soaking me until I came down........to a more than run of the mill clip round the ear :verysad: and out of spite (I’m sure) a hair cut a good inch or two shorter than it would have been without my arboricultural adventure :roll:

You live and learn..........no bloody Childline in those days :lol:

:lol:

Any photos you'd like to share ;-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 am :lol:

Some of the photos of us lot on here in six months time could be a laugh :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:26 pm Some of the photos of us lot on here in six months time could be a laugh :lol:
I'm sure hairdressers and barbers will be extremely busy, once they reopen.
Might be a few shaven heads if it is a 6 month lock down, or at least close cut.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 am :lol:

Not of that particular event, thank goodness.

Mind you I’m sure I must have some school year photos somewhere. Do you remember when you had a class photo and had all the kids in 3 rows, with your class teacher front and centre. Not the wired arty farts things they do now :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:03 pm Not of that particular event, thank goodness.

Mind you I’m sure I must have some school year photos somewhere. Do you remember when you had a class photo and had all the kids in 3 rows, with your class teacher front and centre. Not the wired arty farts things they do now :)

Got tbh mate , I don't remember us having a whole of form school photo ever being done. I pretty sure we didn't.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:08 pm Got tbh mate , I don't remember us having a whole of form school photo ever being done. I pretty sure we didn't.
:shock: Gosh I thought all Secondary schools had them done.

I was in Comp from 1975-80 and every year you would have individual photos done, which were always awful and your mother would embarrassingly put one in Xmas cards etc sent to your grandparents and various other relatives; and then there was the class photo, which were normally done in the school hall. Back row would stand on those wooden benches, middle row would stand and front row would sit.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:08 pm Got tbh mate , I don't remember us having a whole of form school photo ever being done. I pretty sure we didn't.
We didn't have groups of classroom photos, I reckon the camera must have broke.

Another pursuit children have especially these days are trips to the seaside & nature ventures into rural areas, lucky sods!

My school was like a prison, once were in the gates were locked for the day :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

we had whole school photo's every year
and being a boarder, school house had it's own house photo every year also

School house also had a day trip to Blackpool every year after the exams and before speech day and being sent home for the holidays... I got banned from the pleasure beach for life on one of these trips ...........................
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:16 pm :shock: Gosh I thought all Secondary schools had them done.

I was in Comp from 1975-80 and every year you would have individual photos done, which were always awful and your mother would embarrassingly put one in Xmas cards etc sent to your grandparents and various other relatives; and then there was the class photo, which were normally done in the school hall. Back row would stand on those wooden benches, middle row would stand and front row would sit.
Mum had a embarrassing suitcase full of family photos that always use to come out when relatives & friends visited our house, I had to think twice of introducing a new girlfriend to my parents :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:53 pm I'm sure hairdressers and barbers will be extremely busy, once they reopen.
Might be a few shaven heads if it is a 6 month lock down, or at least close cut.
I'm growing mine as from three weeks ago when our hairdresser cancelled all her appointments, dispensing with the short hair spiky style & see where it takes me. A new look in three or four months time I suspect 8-)
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

The 3 schools, infants, juniors and Grammar, that I attended all did whole class photos and individual ones, obviously after more money.

I remember having a few school trips, a couple at junior school to Ingleborough Hall for 4 nights which was every 9/10 years old dream, walking, caving, learning all about nature and ghost stories at bed time . Then a day trip to London on the train which unlike today took about 3 1/2 hours from Wakefield so it was more of a few hours in London but seeing all the landmarks, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc was pretty impressive.
In my final year at Grammar school we went to Italy on a skiing trip but with it being early April the slopes were not fit for skiing so a quick drive over the awe inspiring Brenner Pass and we ended up in Kitzbuhel, Austria. A real stroke of luck as we would have been staying in student accommodation in Italy but this was an impressive 5* hotel with pool, gym and all the luxuries. I did enjoy skiing but not something I’ve done since
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:32 am we had whole school photo's every year

School house also had a day trip to Blackpool every year after the exams and before speech day and being sent home for the holidays... I got banned from the pleasure beach for life on one of these trips ...........................
What the hell did you do to incur a ban Hector?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:54 am The 3 schools, infants, juniors and Grammar, that I attended all did whole class photos and individual ones, obviously after more money.

I remember having a few school trips, a couple at junior school to Ingleborough Hall for 4 nights which was every 9/10 years old dream, walking, caving, learning all about nature and ghost stories at bed time . Then a day trip to London on the train which unlike today took about 3 1/2 hours from Wakefield so it was more of a few hours in London but seeing all the landmarks, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc was pretty impressive.
In my final year at Grammar school we went to Italy on a skiing trip but with it being early April the slopes were not fit for skiing so a quick drive over the awe inspiring Brenner Pass and we ended up in Kitzbuhel, Austria. A real stroke of luck as we would have been staying in student accommodation in Italy but this was an impressive 5* hotel with pool, gym and all the luxuries. I did enjoy skiing but not something I’ve done since
Blimey Rich your schooldays were fun!

Mind you I wouldn't fancy a trip to Italy now :(
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:54 am The 3 schools, infants, juniors and Grammar, that I attended all did whole class photos and individual ones, obviously after more money.

We went a day trip to Oxford from my convent school in Sussex

I remember it well as on the train journey back we all ate a whole bunch of cherries & we were spitting stones all over the carriage seats & floor

The nuns did not approve !!!!!!
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

I was banned from dancing class for a whole term because I swore & stamped my feet refusing to do a routine
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

ah so thats your pic they have at the entrance

must say you look kind of cute as a schoolboy.....have you changed much?
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:54 am Then a day trip to London on the train which unlike today took about 3 1/2 hours from Wakefield so it was more of a few hours in London but seeing all the landmarks, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc was pretty impressive.
This should really be part of the national curriculum for so many reasons.

Art, architecture, history, politics and science to name a few.

London is such an amazing place to visit and instills a modicum of national pride for UK visitors