Aberdeen

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Aberdeen

Post by 1964white »

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says Aberdeen players "blatantly broke the rules" in the lead-up to Saturday's Scottish Premiership game against St Johnstone being postponed.

Two players tested positive for Covid-19 and six others are self-isolating after coming within "close proximity" in an Aberdeen bar on Saturday.

Sturgeon said she was "pretty furious" about the situation.

"I think that is the right decision," Sturgeon said. "We are expecting members of the public to behave in a highly precautionary manner right now and, when a football club ends up with players infected with Covid - and let's remember this is not through bad luck but through clear breaches of the rules - we cannot take even the small risk that they spread the infection to other parts of the country."

Sturgeon said the Scottish government would be contacting all clubs to emphasise the importance of complying with the guidance and hoped "lessons will be learned".

"Football has been given the go-ahead on the strict condition that clubs and players abide by the guidance that has been agreed. If they don't do that, they put at risk the return of the professional game," she said. "To say this incident is deeply regrettable is an understatement.

"I'm pretty furious about this situation, because it shouldn't have happened. If that guidance is not going to be adhered to then all bets are off."
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Aberdeen

Post by 1964white »

Footballers should be setting an example

Why are young people so irresponsible?
gessa

Post by gessa »

Because they're young
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Sturgeon's comments are right on point. Being allowed to resume the league is a privilege at this point. The players should treat it with more respect.

I think St. Johnstone's are entitled to a 3-point forfeit

Hopefully, Edmondson wasn't with them
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

I'm astonished that professional sportsmen should be in a boozer. At any time.
There are many younger players itching to take their place in the team.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The government keeps releasing the 'so many COVID cases per a hundred thousand people' statistics and people think "thats not many, I won't get it" until they do.
And by the time they know they have got it they could have potentially passed it on to a loved one who could get seriously ill with it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden