Leeds v Brighton, The Verdict

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
Shields53
Site Admin
Site Admin
Twitter: @motforum

Leeds v Brighton, The Verdict

Postby Shields53 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:38 am

Leeds United 1 (Cooper 22)
Brighton 2 (March 14, Zamora 89)

Leeds United faced top of the table Brighton at Elland Road, still looking for their first home win of the season but it wasn't to be. Solly March gave the visitors the lead in the 14th minute before Liam Cooper equalised on 22 minutes. Chris Wood missed a clear chance to put Leeds in front but the points were sealed for the Seagulls just before the full time whistle when Bobby Zamora gave them a 2-1 lead. Leeds have won just one game in their last 6 and have not won for in their last 11 at home, a new club record. Here are the views of some of our members;

The thoughts of Brader;

Upon ninety minutes I was fuming, not happy at all. However, we need to remember our run in has been quite tough so far, and today we played a team top of the league. Granted as a few in the south stand kept pointing out Brighton were nothing special... Which is true, however they'd still notched up 14 goals in 10 games before yesterday and have the third best defence in the league.

I thought it was a bit odd that Wooton was picked ahead of Byram, however could see the choice was always because he wanted to bring a fresh Sam on to run at them towards the end. We've been very soft on the break this season. Very very soft and quite frankly It's something that needs to be addressed come January or this season could get a lot worse, I thought first half minus the soft goal we looked alright at the back however you always feel there's one mistake to be made by anyone.

Silvestri once again looked shell shocked by half of his own decisions. Didn't want the ball, didn't want to come collect the ball, and seemed very happy taking his time at 1-1 to play for a point. I've always stuck up for him when a lot of others went to town on him. But this is Leeds United. You do not play for a point at home. That area should be your property, and it should be commanded. I was glad to see Bamba a screaming at him a couple of times when he needed it.

Midfield; Cook was running the show for me at points, first half Mowatt was an asset, second half almost non existent. And personally, I feel just by selecting Adeyemi were setting ourselves up for sitting back and letting people run at us, players like him are great at breaking up play, but if the players around you aren't clinical enough on the counter attack. What's the point? Where is Murphy? The sooner he is back the better for me.

Botaka and Dallas I bought were decent, Botaka and Berardi linked up well, and I was a little gutted to see Botaka taken off. My main gripe so far is the goals. For the first time in a very long time, when I look at the team sheet. I genuinely can't see where goals are going to come from. And that really worries me.

The thoughts of weasel;

Botaka was excellent first half but as the match wore on his impact was getting less and less and he seemed to be losing the ball more and more. Yes, I would have liked to see him stay on as a moment of magic could have won us the game but similar to Dallas you have to think the international matches, travelling etc had a huge impact. That would seem to also be the only logic behind keeping Byram on the bench as presumably Rosler had expected to need to sub both Dallas and Botaka off.

As for the rest of the game and I felt Adeyemi did okay - he is never going to look spectacular but he did his job well in terms of protecting the back 4 and not much from Brighton came through the middle. Having him in that position allows the full backs and wingers to take gambles further up the field as well as allowing the 2 other midfielders to be very attacking.

Buckley once again was poor and I am glad Botaka was chosen to start instead of him. As for the game the turning point was Wood's missed header. If that goes in we are 2-1 up and I feel we win the match comfortably. Instead Brighton got the lifeline and were the better side second half. We couldn't keep hold of the ball second half and deserved to lose.

Leeds United Line-up:
Silvestri, Wootton, Cooper, Bamba, Berardi, Adeyemi, Cook, Mowatt (Antenucci 67), Botaka (Byram 78), Dallas (Buckley 62), Wood.
Unused Subs: Horton, Bellusci, Phillips, Murphy

Brighton Line-up:
Stockdale, Bruno, Greer (Huenemeier 40), Dunk, Bong; Rosenior (Crofts 60), Kayal, Stephens, March; Baldock, Hemed (Zamora 77)
Unused Subs: Maenpaa, Calderon, Ince, Manu

Attendance: 22,736

Share your views on the game in our match day thread.

Return to “MOTForum News”