£15 million for Wood? Go on then!

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

£15 million for Wood? Go on then!

Post by YorkshireSquare »

There is no doubt that Chris Wood was the Championships in form striker last season netting an impressive 27 times in 44 games, 4 ahead of his nearest rivals. It’s no surprise then that the summer has been filled with rumours and speculation about his future at Leeds United with Brighton and Burnley the most recent teams to show interest in the Kiwi striker. Leeds had offered Wood an improved deal and contract extension but now he heads out of Elland Road to the Premiership with Burnley as part of a deal thought to be in excess of £15 million.

Wood was instrumental in Leeds success last year but £15 million was just too good an offer to turn down. He had an exceptional season last year but it was just that, an exception. Wood has shown much promise in the past but never hit those heights before. The 2015-26 season saw 13 goals in 36 appearances in the Championship for Leeds whilst he only had limited opportunities at previous club Leicester scoring 1 in 7 Premier League games and 13 times in 36 Championship games.

Coming into this season I always worried that we could not challenge for the play-offs again if we were over reliant on Wood. In my opinion there is no way he would match last season’s tally this time around. It’s with relief then that our new style of football has seen our midfield rack up the goals with Phillips, Dallas and of course Sáiz on target so far. They of course will not entirely fill the Wood shaped hole in the team, especially with Ekuban injured. But I have faith that the current management team will have seen this coming and prepared for the eventually.

Thomas Christiansen seems to have moved on quickly and I have confidence that unlike previous owners we may actually see most of the £15 million reinvested in a replacement;
The possibility to go to a Premier League club is interesting for him, and probably the money is also much better. He's a professional and if that's his thought we have to respect it.

I personally hope he will do fine. I don't have anything against him, he's a good guy, a good player and he's given until now what I expected of him. Now he's not part of the team so from now on I prepare not to speak about players who aren't mine.

It's obvious that we need to sign a striker. And we're in a little bit of a hurry because of the situation with Caleb. We'd been working on looking at players and we have a list of players who we have approached.
So Leeds will move on, and we will replace Wood just as we replaced Beckford and McCormack before. £15 million is a lot for a striker who has had one good season and we should be able to bring in a decent replacement for that money given some of our summer recruitment. As for Chris Wood, 10 yards out from the goal-line in the Championship he is the best in the business. Will he be afforded the same amount of time and space in the Premiership? I doubt it. He could have been a hero winning promotion at Leeds, now he will get his chance in the Premier League battling relegation and hopefully Leeds can move on to bigger and better things without him.

Re: £15 million for Wood? Go on then!

Post by Guest »

Very good article. Wood scored 30 goals last season because the whole Leeds team focused, supported and used his presence. This will not be the case in the Premiership, especially with Burnley. With all the efforts to keep him by the current owner, there are no excuses, Wood left simply for the money. Good riddance.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I'll go on record and say he won't hit double figures.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

gessa wrote:I'll go on record and say he won't hit double figures.
I'll second that!! Lumpa won't have an easy ride. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'll 3rd that Ges :lol:
The Leader

Post by The Leader »

Jealousy,Jealousy.
makka64

Post by makka64 »

Wood won't get 8-10 in the PL. He can't make his own goals and has no pace. He was nullified against big centre-backs last season and we were too predictable, which is why we fell away. People worked us out. He won't get 6 yard tap-ins in the PL! Despite his protestations, he went to Burnley for money, not ambition - they are never going to win anything in the next 50 years, have a crap ground, rubbish fans and are going to be fighting relegation the whole time they are there. It's a bad move in my opinion. Is Wood even as good as McCormack or Becchio in their prime? No and look what happened to them! I expect him to be sold back to the Championship in less than two seasons, or end up there relegated. How stupid these players are, when they put money before success.
gessa

Post by gessa »

No jealously he's a limited footballer who struck gold last season, most premier league defenders will be able to mark him in second gear. But as they say only time will tell. Come back in May.
Leedslad78

Post by Leedslad78 »

Should of stayed at Leeds only one winner there is Leeds average striker £15 mill Leeds laughing all way to bank and he will be back in championship next year with Burnley
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote:I'll go on record and say he won't hit double figures.
Think he might just....in all competitions. We will see :lol: Hows about a new comp....how many goals will Wood score for Burnley? Just a bit of fun :)
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

How many of those were Penalties ? That changes things a bit .
gessa

Post by gessa »

On the bench tonight will probably come on and score and the excitement will be intense around Burnley.
My double figures quote applies to PL only