Steve Bruce and the merry-go-round of football managers

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Steve Bruce and the merry-go-round of football managers

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Leeds united found themselves in need of a new manager this summer. It’s always an exciting opportunity, that is until the words “Leeds United are in contact with Steve Bruce” appear in the press. There is a dread about being linked with those same old names; Neil Warnock, Steve Bruce, Alan Pardew etc. The same characters regurgitated for more free spins in the football management world.

It’s boring, it’s dull. Why do the same managers reappear despite having failed at their previous clubs? Villa fans have never really been happy with Bruce since his appointment two years ago culminating in a fan throwing a cabbage at him and his sacking last week. If we’d have appointed Steve Bruce I think I might have thrown a cabbage at him. It shows a lack of ambition, a desire to be safe and not take the risks to deliver a truly a different more modern style of football.

I honestly believe the appointment of Thomas Christiansen was a positive gamble, like playing on free fruit machine games. It showed a desire to be different and it worked, for a bit. We did play a positive style of football which was great to watch. Unfortunately, he lacked the ability to think differently when things started to go against us.

The less said about Paul Heckingbottom the better in my view. A reaction to Christian not working out was to go for an existing Championship manager. But summer brought about a rethink, a desire for Radrizzani, Orta and Kinnear to go back to the original thinking. They thought out of the box, they dared to be different, they dared to be brave and the result was Marcelo Bielsa.

Bielsa has been a breath of fresh air, a positive, attacking, exciting style of football which has been a joy to watch and has achieved results so far. We are still to see what we can achieve under ‘El Loco’ but the decision to be bold and different, the decision not to go for one of the same old names such as Bruce seems to be paying off so far. It’s a genuinely exciting time to be a Leeds United fan.

And as for that cabbage? I reckon Bielsa would have chucked one at Steve Bruce too…
I don’t see this is as barbaric as you see it. This means I have bad habits and you have good habits.