Leeds v Rotherham : Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Rotherham : Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by Genghers »

weasel wrote:For me this was simply a case of us having too many players that weren't used to playing against long ball tactics. We have a lot of new players that have come in from abroad and likely wouldn't have faced this tactic, likewise our youngsters, Mowatt and Cook have probably not come up against it as generally youth teams are always encouraged to play football rather than hoofball. As such it is a lesson learnt for all of them that they need to keep their composure and carry on playing their way and simply starve the opposition by keeping hold of the ball.

We panicked, simple. I have played in a team where we were 5-1 up with 20 minutes to go. Suddenly the opposition just launched long ball after long ball. Every time we cleared it it came straight back, we simply couldn't keep possession. Every loose ball seemed to fall for them, every time we got it clear our strikers tried to run with the ball and simply gave possession away (like Doukara did) instead of keeping hold of the ball. We lost the game 6-5. Once panic sets in you forget to do the basics, forget to do what brought you earlier success. You feel like it is just wave after wave of attack coming at you. These players will learn from it and will deal with it better next time.
Milanic said almost the same thing toady - the players don't really know how to cope in those situations. We have a young squad, and once it started to go down hill they weren't able to shore up. We need to be able to dominate games and know when to slow them down (eg. the second half on Friday).

We are still showing the type of football we want to play, even if we can't keep it up for 90 minutes yet. The win will come though, and I'm sure that once it does we'll go on a nice little run. Hopefully against Norwich's style we'll have more luck.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds v Rotherham : Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by theleedsmango »

weasel wrote:We panicked, simple. I have played in a team where we were 5-1 up with 20 minutes to go. Suddenly the opposition just launched long ball after long ball. Every time we cleared it it came straight back, we simply couldn't keep possession. Every loose ball seemed to fall for them, every time we got it clear our strikers tried to run with the ball and simply gave possession away (like Doukara did) instead of keeping hold of the ball. We lost the game 6-5. Once panic sets in you forget to do the basics, forget to do what brought you earlier success. You feel like it is just wave after wave of attack coming at you. These players will learn from it and will deal with it better next time.
I think most people who have played football at even a basic competitive level, regardless of skill, have come across a situation like it. Throw in it being an away derby game, and our players just buckled. In a weird way, if we'd have stuck Tonge, Murphy and Sharp on at half time, perhaps there'd be a different outcome. But we were so in control for the first half, not many would have forseen the need to change the team drastically. And credit to Rotherham, you do what you have to do to win a game regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it is.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings