Blackburn v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Re: Blackburn v Leeds : Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I have to agree with all 1964 says. However the mix up for rovers equaliser, in my opinion lays firmly with Silvestri as he should have gone down at Coopers feet who was simply holding off Rhodes and seeing the ball back. With regards to Varney I can't really put on here what I think of him as from where I was stood I was right in line and even from the other end of the pitch it was clear there was little or no contact. We didn't deserve a draw , a win was the right result on this performance. Cook and Mowatt were outstanding, lots of positives yesterday but unfortunately no points. If we play like this every week we 'll soon start climbing the table. All in all a frustrating afternoon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:I have to agree with all 1964 says. However the mix up for rovers equaliser, in my opinion lays firmly with Silvestri as he should have gone down at Coopers feet who was simply holding off Rhodes and seeing the ball back. With regards to Varney I can't really put on here what I think of him as from where I was stood I was right in line and even from the other end of the pitch it was clear there was little or no contact. We didn't deserve a draw , a win was the right result on this performance. Cook and Mowatt were outstanding, lots of positives yesterday but unfortunately no points. If we play like this every week we 'll soon start climbing the table. All in all a frustrating afternoon.
Very frustrating Rich as we deserved so much more. Rovers got lucky !¡
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Good to see your match report 64.

I said a few weeks back when talking about Redfearn's haul of 10 points from 12 that luck can play a huge part over a small sample of matches, likewise yesterday turned on a couple of moments. It doesn't mean we are a bad team and should panic just like we were not world beaters a few weeks back. We have shown probably in every match this season that we are a match for teams over 45 minutes, be it sometimes first half and sometimes second half, we have also shown that unless we kill sides off by getting a couple of goals up we are always vulnerable to conceding a goal, whether they are 'good' goals or errors.

The 1st goal yesterday may simply be down to the english/italian language problem and a miscommunication between the 2, it will take time for this team to gel and get an understanding of each other. We mustn't press the panic button just like we mustn't start demanding old heads to come in, we are a dynamic team with pass and move and this will get better and better as we do it week in week out, we don't nedd statues in there to slow it all down, we need to have faith and get behind the lads and inspire them and give them the confidence to keep playing football.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Once again a lead thrown away by defensive mistakes the keeper should have taken both Cooper and Rhodes out along with the ball as for the penalty well some you get some you don't over the years I have seen united con ref,s to get penaltys ok it is not in the spirit of the game but it happens I wonder if it been the other way round would we have complained I think not.As for the game once again it shows how lightweight we are in midfield we have no bite its ok to have players who can pass a ball but we need a hard man someone who is not afraid to put his body in and make his mark on the game.All this passing football is ok if you are getting the results at the moment we are,nt.The longer this kind of form goes on we could be dragged further down into a relegation scrap have we the balls for that kind of fight I don't think so but I stated at the start of the season it would be hard and I am seeing nothing to change my mind.We are in a worse position than last season I know we fell of last season but who knows if we will have a better time after Christmas all I know is you cant win matches as long as we concede goals like we are doing.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

There's a vine going round of the Varney incident and from the angle it certainly looks like he's dived.

Not only that, but it shows some of the aftermath with Cook having a go, but then Varney seems to 'headbutt' him. It's one of those pathetic football headbutts, but he should have been red carded imo.

See for yourselves:
https://vine.co/v/O15u3mzP0ig
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote:There's a vine going round of the Varney incident and from the angle it certainly looks like he's dived.

Not only that, but it shows some of the aftermath with Cook having a go, but then Varney seems to 'headbutt' him. It's one of those pathetic football headbutts, but he should have been red carded imo.

See for yourselves:
https://vine.co/v/O15u3mzP0ig
Thom Kirwin called it wrong too...."its a penalty Byram has taken him out".....he should have said "Varney has dived without no contact from Byram"
I knew he had dived by the reaction of the Leeds players. Cook is hard little nut who recognised instantly the stunt the notorious Varney had committed, didn't see the headbutt incident though so he got away with that as well as his cheating act :x
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Absolutely shocking dive and a clear example of why I would hate to see Leeds go down the journeyman footballers signing road again. Players like Varney should never have had the opportunity to wear the Leeds shirt.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

weasel wrote:Absolutely shocking dive and a clear example of why I would hate to see Leeds go down the journeyman footballers signing road again. Players like Varney should never have had the opportunity to wear the Leeds shirt.
And you think the second division Italian players we've been signing aren't journeymen?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Martyn wrote:And you think the second division Italian players we've been signing aren't journeymen?
I wouldn't class them in the Varney, Norris, Morison mold to be fair.

Most of them are younger lads trying to further their careers. Journey men tend to be coming to the end of theirs and are looking for anywhere that will take them.

I've seen more passion for the shirt from our new lot than most of the players who have come and gone since promotion...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: I wouldn't class them in the Varney, Norris, Morison mold to be fair.

Most of them are younger lads trying to further their careers. Journey men tend to be coming to the end of theirs and are looking for anywhere that will take them.

I've seen more passion for the shirt from our new lot than most of the players who have come and gone since promotion...
True Genghers :tup: but then we have fans who would prefer to have journeymen at our club.....crazy !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Absolutely shocking dive and a clear example of why I would hate to see Leeds go down the journeyman footballers signing road again. Players like Varney should never have had the opportunity to wear the Leeds shirt.
Varney is a disgrace, he use to annoy me when he constantly fell over at will in his time at Leeds, poor footballer who has to resort to cheating, sadly he continually gets away with his antics !
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

1964white wrote:
True Genghers :tup: but then we have fans who would prefer to have journeymen at our club.....crazy !
Who?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Martyn wrote:
Who?
Fans in the Supporters Club
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

1964white wrote:
Fans in the Supporters Club
I know plenty of people who belong to and have belonged to the supporters club who maybe be upset with that comment a lot of them have followed United over many years and have spent a lot of well earned money and are a very knowledgeable bunch.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: I know plenty of people who belong to and have belonged to the supporters club who maybe be upset with that comment a lot of them have followed United over many years and have spent a lot of well earned money and are a very knowledgeable bunch.
So do i as i travelled with two SC's & also know many of the Scarboro' RMC & yes they are knowledgable people & many go to every game !

Martyn asked me who & answered his question with honesty....i know many who want old heads in the team, so why would people be upset about something that has been said to me often this season ??
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

Older heads do not equal journeymen.

Were Collins or Strachan journeymen?
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andywatson »

Genghers wrote:
I wouldn't class them in the Varney, Norris, Morison mold to be fair.
quote]

I think lumping Morison in there is a bit unfair. Yes, he didn't have the best of starts, but his work ethic seems solid enough. Unfortunately for him I think he is almost permanently tarred with the same brush as Hunt- who was missing from your list.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Martyn wrote:Older heads do not equal journeymen.

Were Collins or Strachan journeymen?
The likes of players with the quality of Strachan/Collins are unavailable to to the championship thesedays because decent prem players are on such lucrative contracts, they are not prepared to relinquish high salaries to play in the second tier of English football. I always thought Ryan Giggs or Frank Lampard would have made good acquisitions to the championship but of course those sort of signings are rarely gonna happen nowadays.The only older heads available are generally journeymen who are past their sell-by-date
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Would Lansberry and Fryatt at Forest be classed as journeymen?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:Would Lansberry and Fryatt at Forest be classed as journeymen?
Not at all EY, both must have been on decent salaries when employed at prem clubs....both good players :tup: