Bristol City v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Bristol City v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Tough encounter at Ashton Gate on Tuesday night. If we play like we have done in our last few games we can win this one. Hopefully we can emulate 5 consecutive wins as we last did on January 3rd 2009 :sing:

If Bridcutt is fit he would be only change for me
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Bristol City v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by LUFC 1966 »

i agree . Bridcutt for Phillips my only change.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I think the key to this game is to stay unchanged barring Bridcutt for Phillips if fit and get the ball out to our wingers to run and terrorise their defenders. We do appear much more capable of soaking up pressure and with Pontus we've got someone who can break up an attack and calmly get the ball out to one of our players for a counter.

Bristol are on form but I'm sure they'll be only too aware of our little run and dangerman Wood. It makes for an interesting game. For the first time in a while I'm feeling optimistic that we're not going to roll over but stand up and be counted.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:For the first time in a while I'm feeling optimistic that we're not going to roll over but stand up and be counted.
I cannot recall the last time i felt like this Rich :shock:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Will be a very tough one this as they are playing very well at the moment ( but equally so are we of course ) and their 4 v 0 away win at Fulham demonstrates that. Their striker Tammy Abraham on loan from Chelsea is on fire with 10 goals already this season but hopefully Bartley and Pontus can snuff him out.

I would take a draw on this one tbh but winning is certainly not beyond us on current form.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gurj wrote:Will be a very tough one this as they are playing very well at the moment ( but equally so are we of course ) and their 4 v 0 away win at Fulham demonstrates that. Their striker Tammy Abraham on loan from Chelsea is on fire with 10 goals already this season but hopefully Bartley and Pontus can snuff him out.

I would take a draw on this one tbh but winning is certainly not beyond us on current form.
Was just about to post about their striker who is on fire, this will probably be our CB pairings biggest test to date, will be very interesting to see how they cope and will perhaps tell us a lot of how they may cope with the season ahead.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Was just about to post about their striker who is on fire, this will probably be our CB pairings biggest test to date, will be very interesting to see how they cope and will perhaps tell us a lot of how they may cope with the season ahead.
Oh Pontus Jansson's magic,
He wears a magic hat,
And if you throw a brick at him
He heads the f****r back....
He heads them to the left
He heads them to the right
And if we win promotion...
We'll sing this song all night! :sing:
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I am not sure it is just Pontus, but freeing up someone to attack the ball and not just attempt to react to the opposition attempting to get free of markers (because no matter how good you are someone will always get free)
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Just looked at them winning 4-0 against Fulham, and they are big in defence and attack
They broke forward very fast on the counter attack and had men piling into the box
so if a shot was blocked there was always someone there to feed of the scraps and dig the ball
home and into the goal.

With so many men rushing forward it leaves them open to a swift counter attack so it is
of paramount importance that we clean our lines well with no faffing about. We should be
exploiting the pace of our wingers.

Highlights of their 4-0 win.

Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Definitely a good test for our team at this stage - a clean sheet would be a really good achievement and a low scoring win is a fair possibility.
Let's hope we start getting a wider spread of goalscorers.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
gessa

Post by gessa »

Some facts from the BBC.

The last City goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet in any competition against Leeds was John Shaw in April 1979.

Leeds have won seven of their last eight league games against Bristol City (D1) all since they were promoted back to the Championship in 2010/11.

The Robins have conceded at least twice in their last five league games against Leeds at Ashton Gate (12 in total).

Tammy Abraham has been directly involved in more goals than any other Championship player this term (8).

Leeds striker Chris Wood has scored seven goals in 11 appearances in all competitions this season
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

gessa wrote:Was just about to post about their striker who is on fire.
He can't be that good Ges he only scores tap ins, deflected shots and lucky goals, he's almost as bad as Wood :wink:.

In all seriousness though I have been very impressed by Abraham their main striker he is very quick as well so it could be a massive test for Pontus and Bartley as Bristol City play really good football on the floor so this will be a different type of test for Bartley and Pontus definitely.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gary Shaw wrote:He can't be that good Ges he only scores tap ins, deflected shots and lucky goals, he's almost as bad as Wood :wink:.
:lol:
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

A meeting between 2 of English football's 3 most promising young managers in my opinion. This will be a tough game tomorrow, I think Bristol City are an excellent side. Garry has some tough decisions to make:
a.) Are we good enough to play our own style of football and formation vs Bristol City and by doing this not be at risk of a defeat or a heavy defeat? Fulham tried to go with a 4-2-3-1 vs Bristol City and it really didn't work for them.
b.) Do we need to set up to try and stop Bristol City and to an extent play for a point and see if we can get a goal from a quick counter attack?
If Monk decides a is the best option I would go with a 4-2-3-1: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Pontus, Taylor, Bridcutt, O'Kane, Sacko, Hernandez, Dallas and Wood.

If Monk decides b is the best option I would go with a 4-3-3 with the midfield 3 all playing holding roles: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Pontus, Taylor, Viera, Bridcutt, O'Kane, Sacko, Wood and Roofe. Pace will be vital in this system and Sacko and Roofe can provide pace for us to get a goal on the counter attack and the 3 of Sacko, Wood, Roofe try to win us the game if possible.

It's a tough one for Garry, however, I would probably still go with a 4-2-3-1, as I think we should avoid making too many changes. Having said that, if we weren't coming into this game in such good form I would say go with a 4-3-3 and make changes. I would understand, however, if Garry makes 2 or 3 changes and changes the formation.

A point would be a good result tomorrow and if we can put in a good performance as well even better. What I would like to avoid though is completely losing our momentum by losing by 2,3 or 4 goals. This might sound negative, however, things can change very quickly in the championship a point means we can keep up our good run of form. If we play like we have done recently I am confident we can get at least a point.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote:Just looked at them winning 4-0 against Fulham, and they are big in defence and attack
They broke forward very fast on the counter attack and had men piling into the box
so if a shot was blocked there was always someone there to feed of the scraps and dig the ball
home and into the goal.

With so many men rushing forward it leaves them open to a swift counter attack so it is
of paramount importance that we clean our lines well with no faffing about. We should be
exploiting the pace of our wingers.

Highlights of their 4-0 win.

Where were the Fulham defence ? stood around ball-watching

If we defend like that i'd be very concerned not only about tonight's game but the rest of our season too.

That defending are memories of Leeds over the last few years
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Pontus needs to put Tammy in his pocket.

gessa

Post by gessa »

rab_rant wrote:Pontus needs to put Tammy in his pocket.
Or Row Z :wink:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Or Row Z :wink:
In the Leeds end :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unchanged team

Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Taylor, Phillips, O'Kane, Hernandez, Dallas, Sacko, Wood

subs : Silvestri, Coyle, Cooper, Grimes, Mowatt, Roofe, Antonsson.

Bridcutt's injury must be worst than first thought, not on the bench
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Whealan thinks the team need to be brutal to get anything from this game.
Bristol have two beasts as CB's so Wood will have to try and boss them
and I hope Jansson is able to deal with Abraham. I think it will be a tight game.