Derby v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
gessa

Re: Derby v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by gessa »

Two very similar teams, main difference their midfield was the better today, meant them getting lots more possession than us, small margins in football 2 weeks ago we would have won that, the McLaren factor lifted them .
gessa

Post by gessa »

Green - 7
Ayling - 5
Pontus - 8
Bartley - 8
Taylor - 6
Sacko - 4
Mowatt - 5
Phillips - 7
O'Kane - 7
Hernandez - 6
Wood - 3

Roofe - 5

Hard to choose between our two central defenders for motm.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Disappointing continuation of the weekend after The Tribe started it off with a win...need the Tribe and the Raiders to make up for that tonight and tomorrow
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote:Green - 7
Ayling - 5
Pontus - 8
Bartley - 8
Taylor - 6
Sacko - 4
Mowatt - 5
Phillips - 7
O'Kane - 7
Hernandez - 6
Wood - 3

Roofe - 5

Hard to choose between our two central defenders for motm.

nearly identical to mine, Bartley gives us the threat in the box Wood doesn't and Jansson was just sublime in the box, 4 occasions in the first half he broke up true goal threats including one time where with his back to the ball he seemed to know the exact second to turn and clear
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bartley off the bar
Antonsson off the post
Everybody thought those were going in.

Mac gets all the new manager luck.
Lots of pressure near the finish
but no end product.
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote:nearly identical to mine, Bartley gives us the threat in the box Wood doesn't and Jansson was just sublime in the box, 4 occasions in the first half he broke up true goal threats including one time where with his back to the ball he seemed to know the exact second to turn and clear
No kidding mate, toward the end of the first half, I thought if it didn't weaken the defence we'd be better off with Bartley up front , at least he'd make a nuisance of himself and let the defenders know their in a game. January, priority has to be a new striker.
gessa

Post by gessa »

rab_rant wrote:Bartley off the bar
Antonsson off the post
Everybody thought those were going in.

Mac gets all the new manager luck.
Lots of pressure near the finish
but no end product.
I think no end product has summed us a few games this season Rab, disappointing
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've no eaten yet today so blood sugar probably low..I may be nicer to the useless fat tub of lard later but for now he gets the full treatment. I think I'd prefer Becchio back
gessa

Post by gessa »

I have to hold my hands up, I have been less than complementary about Rob Green, especially after the first 3/4 games but the last 3/4 he has impressed me with his command of the area and how he orchestrates the defence, didn't have much to do today but felt he had a presence about him, something Silvestri lacked, having better defenders in front of him must help but I feel more confident about him lately.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

New manager syndrome strikes against Leeds again :cry:

Don't get all the negative tweets against Phillips and Hernandez, especially the guy who went on to slag off Mowatt and the Academy!!
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I call it Dead Manager bounce, Phillips wasn't great I'm not sure he has the presence yet to command midfield to easily out muscled. Hernadez you could see was frustrated with Woods lack of instinct and slowness...had to hold onto the ball too long to wait for Wood on at least two occasions...I'd like to see Antonsson given a 10 game run as a lone striker.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I think we deserved to win the game today, so to not take any points is frustrating, however, we are still making good progress under Garry it's been a long time since Leeds have consistently gone to places like Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff and Derby and outplayed the home side.
I know their goal was deflected, however, Rob Green has to do better there in my opinion.
First half was very boring, however, we had 2 chances just before half time, Woody had a header just wide and Barts hit the bar.
Second half they did start well to be fair and got a goal. Neither side deserved to be winning at that stage, however, we reacted quickly and put Roofe on and we really started to dominate the game, they had a few counter attacks, however, they never got past Eunan O'Kane. There was one occasion when they had a clear offside goal disallowed. Derby defended very very well throughout the game. We had 4 great chances in the second half.
I really don't care were Derby are in the table, I have said from day 1 we cannot expect Garry Monk to have Leeds finishing above teams like Derby this season look at their first 11 and our first 11 look at their bench and our bench. We have done ourselves proud today and were very unlucky to lose the game. We have to be realistic this season Top 10 and continuing to play consistently good football will be a good season for us.
Player Ratings:
Green 5- Should have done better for the goal, rarely tested, however, which shows how much progress we are making.
Ayling 7- Caught out of position too often, got forward well, however.
Bartley 8- Missed 2 good chances, however, this was another great game from Bartley.
Jansson 8- Continues to read the game so well, Pontus really is magic.
Taylor 8- Defended very well against Tom Ince and got forward well one or two poor crosses, however, some good moments going forward as well.
Phillips 6- I have yet to see Kalvin have a 7/10 game for Leeds tbh, he did almost score. However, didn't protect the back 4 well. People on twitter shouldn't be criticising Kalvin he still hasn't played that many games for us and it will take time to adapt to his new position within the midfield.
O'Kane 8- Man Of The Match, what a player his second half performance was absolutely superb the energy Eunan has is incredible. He played the box to box midfield role very very well today. Lewis who? :duno: Eunan O'Kante
Sacko 5- A very quiet game and their left back defended very well against Sacko.
Hernandez 6- Average first half, better in the second half, compared to Butterfield, Hughes and Johnson. Pablo really isn't that amazing to be honest. He is still a good player, however, he isn't a great player so far for Leeds.
Mowatt 6- It seemed a strange time to take Alex off as he was playing his best football of the game before he came off played a lovely through ball to Roofe.
Wood 6- Worked hard and his link up play was ok, he needed to 3 behind him in the first half to play closer to him.
Substitutions:
Roofe 6- We improved when Kemar was on the pitch, however, individually Kemar didn't have a massive impact for the 30 minutes he played, should start on Tuesday, however.
Grimes 5- Wasted 2 opportunities for us to really put Derby under pressure.
Antonsson - wasn't on pitch long enough to rate almost scored.
We should stay with the 4-2-3-1 and if we play like that against Wigan I can't see anything but a win on Tuesday. We played so much better than how we played against Barnsley and lost the game it's how the championship goes sometimes.
We March On :scarf1:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gary Shaw wrote: Player Ratings:
Green 5- Should have done better for the goal, rarely tested, however, which shows how much progress we are making.
I know you don't like him but that is ludicrous. There was a Derby player stood 6 yards in front of him as the shot came in so he had absolutely no view of it until the Derby player managed to get out of the way of the ball. He made 2 fantastic saves (admittedly one was from their player who was offside but the whistle only sounded after the save was made) and was generally untroubled.

Similar to the Bristol game it boiled down to 1 team taking their chance and this is the area that concerns me as to be a top 6 team we need to win these games. We are comfortably holding our own against these sides and creating a similar amount of chances but we need to be taking them. We still desperately need more goals fro midfield if we are to be successful in the 451 formation as even if Wood gets 20-30 goals we need at least 60 and the wingers especially need to score more.

Wood looked like he was jetlagged today and should have been taken off earlier and I was disappointed with Monk's selection of Mowatt as the left winger as we have no need to put round pegs in square holes. Mowatt is competing with Hernandez for the no.10 position and was disappointed that Roofe didn't get the start.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed Weasel, played well and couldn't do much with the goal as he would have seen it late...7 is being stingy and I'm not a Green fan. In fact the entire post is spot on
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

weasel wrote:I know you don't like him but that is ludicrous. There was a Derby player stood 6 yards in front of him as the shot came in so he had absolutely no view of it until the Derby player managed to get out of the way of the ball. He made 2 fantastic saves (admittedly one was from their player who was offside but the whistle only sounded after the save was made) and was generally untroubled.

Similar to the Bristol game it boiled down to 1 team taking their chance and this is the area that concerns me as to be a top 6 team we need to win these games. We are comfortably holding our own against these sides and creating a similar amount of chances but we need to be taking them. We still desperately need more goals fro midfield if we are to be successful in the 451 formation as even if Wood gets 20-30 goals we need at least 60 and the wingers especially need to score more.

Wood looked like he was jetlagged today and should have been taken off earlier and I was disappointed with Monk's selection of Mowatt as the left winger as we have no need to put round pegs in square holes. Mowatt is competing with Hernandez for the no.10 position and was disappointed that Roofe didn't get the start.
Disagree mate, the shot is straight at Rob Green he may not have had the greatest view, however,he should be saving that in my opinion from what I saw he should still have been able to see that Russell was about to have a shot from the view he had.

We do need more goals, however, Roofe will score goals if we play him on the left hand side. We need Pablo or Alex to start scoring goals from the number 10 role as well. The last time we regularly played 4-2-3-1 in 2010-11 we had goals and assists from all of the attacking 3:
Howson 10 goals
Snodgrass 6 goals
Gradel 18 goals
Plus:
Becchio 19 goals
And our 2nd choice striker
Somma 11 goals (around a goal every 113 minutes :shock:)

At the moment I can only see Roofe and Wood providing enough goals.
Can Sacko score more than 5 goals? maybe
Can Hernandez or Mowatt score 10 goals or more? Probably not
Can Antonsson score more than 10 goals as 2nd choice striker? Probably not

I feel sorry for Roofe, so many examples of goalscoring wingers: Neymar, Sanchez, Sterling, Hazard, Gradel etc. They can play on the right wing, however, their best work in terms of goals and assists comes from the left wing. I hope Garry starts to play him on the left.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Think we missed Dallas today alot. Ayling looked lost on more than a few occasions. Wood looked tired, and Antonsson should've been brought on alot sooner. Sacko never got going. Hernandez tried to carry the midfield going forward on his back. O'Kane was MoTM. Bartley and Jansson were men among boys on defense, and soaked up everything Derby threw at them with ease. Tough match, but we were equal, if not better overall than Derby except for the final score.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Well that game could have been so much different had Bartley's header which thumped against the bar gone in right on half-time, he should have scored as he got underneath the ball with his head. Then there was the Bradley Johnson two-footed tackle that should have seen him walk. Was there a hand ball in the Derby box just before they scored the winning goal ? and then right at the death Antonsson's curling shot looked all over an equalising goal only to come back off the post. Truth be told we didn't do enough throughout the match, too much tentative tippy-tappy passes in our own half, the ball was passed backwards than forward, lost possession far too often.
We needed to take the game to Derby who looked like a team lacking in confidence, unfortunately both teams seem to lack the ambition to push forward creating few chances. Our defence looks solid however apart from O'Kane & Hernandez (in the last 20 minutes) the rest were poor

Green 8 - one great save & commanded his area confidently
Ayling 8 - did well up against Thomas Ince
Bartley 8 - striking up a very good partnership with Pontus
Jannson 8 - cool as a cucumber, didn't put a foot or a head wrong
Taylor 6 - a couple of casual moments leading to a cheap corner that led to their goal
Phillips 5 - passed the ball backwards/sideways, misplaced passes going forward & lost possession far too often
O'Kane 8 - superb when all in front of him were clueless, kept us in the game controlling the midfield more or less on his own MOTM
Sacko 4 - never got into the game although I'd have probably stuck with him a little longer as he gives us pace & is likely to create an opportunity we needed as the game went on
Mowatt 4 - poor, no legs, energy or pace
Hernandez 6 - looked dangerous when we pushed forward in the last 20 minutes
Wood 5 - no service & struggled due to jet-lag i suspect
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

On the train back from Derby, gutted but optimistic given how I can see how far we have come from the last away game I saw us play at Forest. Huge improvement since then defensively.

Let's get one thing straight though, in no way did we deserve to win today ! No way !

BUT that said we fully warranted a draw and count ourselves v unlucky not to get a point. I thought that Antonnson effort was in all the way until it bounced back.

We play like we did in second half and we will beat many teams in this league !

Impressed with O' Kane today, looks to be a very good signing.
Just wish we had more options up front, although that's not to say Wood was poor, service was next to non existent !
Really disappointed in Sakho today.
Last edited by Gurj on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:Think we missed Dallas today alot
Spot on Dan :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:oh for crying out loud, every time a /derby player gets touched they get a FK, every time one of ours gets flattened play on
Ref was poor