Leeds v Wigan - Team/Report/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds v Wigan - Team/Report/Ratings

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote:I'm in the South Stand for tonight's match :-D
Leon did you enjoy your trip "down South"
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Blame for this firmly at Monk's door for me. Ridiculous substitutions !! Fair enough if Sacko was knackered, bring him off, but for Grimes ?!!! How on earth did he come up with that plan ? He is as shockingly poor a footballer as I have seen at ER !!

Same with Hernandez substitution ok he had taken a knock but to bring Mowatt on, jeez !!.
I am sorry but Alex is a league 1 player at best these days, at nearly 44 I could run faster than him I bet !! Surely young Viera would have been the more sensible and more mobile option.

Failing to beat Wigan is extremely disappointing and puts huge pressure on us to beat Wolves......somehow I cannot see that happening now. I hope I am wrong.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote:Leon did you enjoy your trip "down South"
Not really mate, I was feeling crap with a heavy cold.

That performance didn't help my mood one bit :)

A hot ribena/paracetamols & back to bed for me this morning
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:Blame for this firmly at Monk's door for me. Ridiculous substitutions !! Fair enough if Sacko was knackered, bring him off, but for Grimes ?!!! How on earth did he come up with that plan ? He is as shockingly poor a footballer as I have seen at ER !!

Same with Hernandez substitution ok he had taken a knock but to bring Mowatt on, jeez !!.
I am sorry but Alex is a league 1 player at best these days, at nearly 44 I could run faster than him I bet !! Surely young Viera would have been the more sensible and more mobile option.

Failing to beat Wigan is extremely disappointing and puts huge pressure on us to beat Wolves......somehow I cannot see that happening now. I hope I am wrong.
God knows what Monk was playing at Gurj :shock: he took off the three players off who have provided the majority of our goals & assists & replaced them with clueless idiots. Had Mowatt, Grimes & Antonsson pressed the Latics & not allowed them to play on the ball that would have been fine instead they ambled around the pitch like lemons, 100% was required & they didnt give it, is it any wonder they can't hold down a first team place.

So glad I'm not the only one who thinks Mowatt is a League One player :tup: enjoy Oldham Alex because that's where you are heading
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The hope is that sometimes, as a manager, you learn more when substitutes don't do the business as it clarifies your thought process that they aren't good enough, certainly not good enough to start. I contrast this to earlier on in the season where Antonnsen's performances as a sub clouded Monk's thinking into playing him from the start and switching to a 442 which ultimately didn't really work. As such none of the subs have muddled the thinking into them being starters and probably not made the case for them coming off the bench in future matches. You can understand the thinking in terms of us having 3 matches in a week and trying to rest/protect players but it is definitely a case that the win had to be first priority.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:The hope is that sometimes, as a manager, you learn more when substitutes don't do the business as it clarifies your thought process that they aren't good enough, certainly not good enough to start. I contrast this to earlier on in the season where Antonnsen's performances as a sub clouded Monk's thinking into playing him from the start and switching to a 442 which ultimately didn't really work. As such none of the subs have muddled the thinking into them being starters and probably not made the case for them coming off the bench in future matches. You can understand the thinking in terms of us having 3 matches in a week and trying to rest/protect players but it is definitely a case that the win had to be first priority.
Yes :tup: the Wolves game would have taken care of itself
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

If Monk had wanted to kill off the game and hold on to the 1 goal lead.
he should have brought on Murphy and Dave... Oh wait they were not even
on the bench. I would have those two over Mowatt and Grimes anyday.

The first team is beginning to look pretty thin when our subs turn out
to be so crap. That extra time goal just reminds me of all the games we threw
away like that last season. Nauseates me.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

rab_rant wrote:If Monk had wanted to kill off the game and hold on to the 1 goal lead.
he should have brought on Murphy and Dave... Oh wait they were not even
on the bench. I would have those two over Mowatt and Grimes anyday.

The first team is beginning to look pretty thin when our subs turn out
to be so crap. That extra time goal just reminds me of all the games we threw
away like that last season. Nauseates me.
Agree 100% mate.

He's decision to completely isolate Big Dave and Luke from the picture makes no sense whatsoever when our bench strength is so limited !! God knows what he see's in Grimes as he has been abysmal every time he has put a leeds shirt on.

I fear a hiding at Wolves now :-(
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Highlights of last night's match

Peach of a goal from Wood, superb control & strike. His all round play was excellent, was easily the Man of the Match, should never been taken off at 1-0 with eleven minutes of play still remaining

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -1-1-wigan
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I wondered who lost the flight of the ball at the back post, sadly it was Ayling once again who had a sound game especially going forward, there seems to an error waiting to happen defensively though
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Green 6
Ayling 7
Bartley 7
Jansson 7
Taylor 5 - Prem defender, you're having a laugh
O'Kane 6
Phillips 6
Sacko 6
Hernandez 6
Roofe 5
Wood 8

And our trio of cracking subs :oops:

Mowatt 4
Grimes 4
Antonsson 4
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Always said he was the man for the job.
First name on the teamsheet for you mate :roflmao:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:
Even though we drew the feeling as I trudged out of the ground was this felt more like a loss. Hopefully yet more lessons have been learned and we can improve at Wolves on Saturday
All our fans felt like that as I trudged back to the coach park, the main discussion was the poor substitutions, everyone shaking their heads in a daze Rich

Should have left Monk in the stand :wink:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:I really feel for the Leeds supporters who bothered to turn up, and to be let down at the end
Thanks Swan :tup: we're immuned to that feeling, part of being a Leeds fan particularly on a Tuesday night over the last twelve years
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I di another VLOG of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJpoZ97fFs
Will do a match report later on just about to play football (hopefully better than all our substitutes managed yesterday :wink: .)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:I di another VLOG of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJpoZ97fFs
Will do a match report later on just about to play football (hopefully better than all our substitutes managed yesterday :wink: .)
Nice VLOG Oscar although i miss your opening catchphrase "how's it going" :lol:

Your comparison to Shearer for the Wood goal is spot on

Good luck with the football tonight :tup:
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote:Nice VLOG Oscar although i miss your opening catchphrase "how we doing" :lol:

Your comparison to Shearer for the Wood goal is spot on

Good luck with the football tonight :tup:
Cheers Leon
Still can't decide on an opening catchphrase :lol:.
Everything about that goal was an Alan Shearer goal, his control, power and accuracy.
Football went well tonight as well :-D
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Any chance you could come off the Leeds bench on Saturday say about 3. 'ish, ? Good on you Gary!
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Average performance yesterday.
Our last 2 games have both been average/poor performances and we have taken 4 points.
Our last 2 away games have been good/excellent performances and we have taken 0 points.
Wigan deserved the point, Garry's substitutions were questionable, however, I was pleased that as soon as we conceded we really pushed to win the game and for the 4 minutes after that Wigan couldn't get out of their own half. Over the last few seasons when we have conceded goals in the second half very rarely would we react well and go on to win the game or ever look like winning the game.
Garry is without doubt the best man for the job, I have seen a lot of improvement in this Leeds team and we are only 4 points off the top 6 and came within a deflected shot in stoppage time of being 2 points outside the play offs and would have been 9th. Don't forget we had really bad luck at Derby as well.
Hopefully we will start getting a bit more luck starting on Saturday. It's a game of margins and the signs we are showing suggest to me we will go on another good run. However, we have a difficult run of games coming up.
Player Ratings:
Green 7- Incredible save before half time.
Ayling 8- Best game for Leeds awesome defensively and got forward well.
Bartley 8- Has a lot more pace than I thought he had before we signed him.
Jansson 7- Another good Pontus performance.
Taylor 6- Brilliant first half performance, however, so many poor passes in the second half. Defensively I thought Charlie did well.
Phillips 5- Passing was poor from Kalvin and didn't protect the back 4 very well.
O'Kane 7- Not quite as good as he was vs Derby, however, another good performance didn't give any Wigan players any time on the ball.
Sacko 5- Made some poor decisions during the game, we probably could have been 3-0 up at half time if our decision making was better.
Hernandez 8- Excellent performance, lost count of how many through balls he played to Sacko and how many times he ran past the Wigan midfield with the ball so easily.
Roofe 6- He was quiet overall, however, I am a fan of Kemar. He runs past players so so easily with the ball and I don't know if anyone else has noticed he just never gives up if someone tries to tackle him even when it's a 75-25 tackle against him he finds a way of getting in the way of the player trying to tackle him and keeps hold of the ball by doing this. Kemar wasn't great in the second half and created very little during this game, however, when Wigan equalised the desire he showed to try and win us the game was excellent to see. I think as soon as Kemar gets one goal for us he will go on a great run of form.
Wood 9- Man Of The Match, great goal and showed his quality with his link up play. His work rate was incredible (he was everywhere we needed him to be) and he is a very intelligent player constantly swapping positions with Roofe and Hernandez and showing his quality wherever he played. Roofe and Hernandez, look a lot more confident. Imagine Becchio, Beckford and RMC running 40 yards into the midfield and winning the ball and then playing a 30 yard through ball with the outside of his foot to Pablo Hernandez who then had a chance to score. Wood is quality he is quickly becoming one of the best strikers in the league.
Substitutions:
Grimes 5- Quiet overall.
Mowatt 5- One great pass, however, very quiet I still think Alex is a good player, however, he needs to find consistency.
Antonsson- Not on the pitch long enough to rate. He was only on for 5 minutes and didn't work hard enough, however, looked more tired than Wood did who played 85 minutes and didn't stop running.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote<
The hope is that sometimes, as a manager, you learn more when substitutes don't do the business as it clarifies your thought process that they aren't good enough, certainly not good enough to start. I contrast this to earlier on in the season where Antonnsen's performances as a sub clouded Monk's thinking into playing him from the start and switching to a 442 which ultimately didn't really work. As such none of the subs have muddled the thinking into them being starters and probably not made the case for them coming off the bench in future matches. You can understand the thinking in terms of us having 3 matches in a week and trying to rest/protect players but it is definitely a case that the win had to be first priority.
Yes - good post