Leeds v Norwich (league cup) - Team/News/Reports

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds v Norwich (league cup) - Team/News/Reports

Post by NorfolkWhite »

thought we were brilliant tonight, fight, determination and hard work.......proved that goes a long way in getting results and making the supporters proud, almost felt to be a sense of disbelief at the end (and I only watched a stream) - Did I just see a Leeds team drag out a victory by sheer will to win?......Our second goal was started by a couple of proper tackles, we made it happen - fantastic to see :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... t-3-2-pens

Highlights of the match (if watching from abroad use a proxy to give you a uk ip).

Have to say I think both goals we conceded were down to poor defending and would like to think if Pontus was playing then neither would have been conceded. For the first Cooper and Bartley are both to blame as neither really wanted to get in position to get in the way of the cross (Cooper running from a long way out and taking the position Bartley should have been in - Bartley just watching). For the 2nd same sort of story really neither of them picking up a guy 8 yards out in the centre of the goal.

It is a shame for Cooper but again we saw after 30 seconds the type of error that he, Bamba, Bellusci and other centrebacks have been making for us (or should that really be against us) on a regular basis for the last few seasons - this time thankfully we weren't punished or it probably would have been game over after 30 seconds as I feel heads would have gone down.

Grimes penalty was a shocker, and the sort of thing to be expected by a player who is struggling - however it was his ball that played Sacko in for the Wood equaliser. There is a decent player in there but like so many young players his career may have been ruined by moving to the premiership too soon and then having a couple of seasons of not playing football and not learning the game. He needs game time but is now in the catch 22 position of not being good enough to be a starter so won't get the games.

Great to see Berardi back and it was a crunching tackle and then one by Phillips that gave us the momentum back in the 2nd period of extra time. Hopefully just a bit of cramp for him given that he played the full 120 minutes after not having much football. Will be great to see him back starting as a back 4 of him, Pontus, Bartley and Taylor looks pretty decent.

Definitely good signs though that things are gelling with the way the team played in both second halves and the character they showed. Norwich's squad is much stronger than ours and their starting line up, despite also making 8 changes, was a lot stronger on paper so for us to take the game to them when behind is very encouraging especially given how poorly we had played in the first half.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Silvestri is the best keeper at the club, I don't think it's close but the fans on his back have been a problem.
Jill watched the penalty shoot-out with me & before the event I said we have the right man between the sticks for this one as Silvestri is a superb shot-stopper, that 3rd save was magnificent, a top drawer save

Pleased for Marco :-D
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I was a bit worried at the way we were making errors at the back during the first half
and it was all down to sloppy passing with Bartley being the main offender. I think I counted
about 15 back passes to the keeper during the first half and on a couple of occasions this put
Silvestri under real pressure.

No one has mentioned the shift the Duke put in. I thought he looked good going forward
barging his way passed players and also being tenacious in getting back to defend.
His cut back for Antonsson to score was delicious. That type of play and passion could
earn him the number 10 spot that Mowatt wants to claim. Poor Alex he seems a shadow
of the player he used to be. Both he an Grimes could be twins when it comes to
lack of confidence... Monk will have to work miracles to encourage those two boys to
regain their form.

Anyways for those who can not see the match highlights because they don't have a UK IP
here is a link that works. Oh and I hope we don't get Newcastle in the next round cos they
slotted 6 past PNE

Leeds vs Norwich highlights
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

1964white wrote:Jill watched the penalty shoot-out with me & before the event I said we have the right man between the sticks for this one as Silvestri is a superb shot-stopper, that 3rd save was magnificent, a top drawer save

Pleased for Marco :-D
WHAT did,nt you go when the club offer deals on tickets for games like that.Yourself like me often complain about about he price of football these days which is a joke at times but with the club cutting prices like they did it was foolish not to take up on it.It was one of the best £10,s i have spent in a long while and no doubt most of the crowd would agree.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

All praise to Silvestri for his heroics but the real unsung heroes belong to the backroom boys.
While all the Leeds players were in a huddle deciding who would take penalties Silvestri was
off to the side being coached as to how to react when making saves.

How did he know to stand his ground when Pritchard tried to do a Pirlo?
And that third save from Brady was phenomenal.

Noel Whelan on the radio afterwards remarked that Silvestri was receiving signals from
the half way line on which way to dive. Can you imagine the analysis and research that
went into making those calculations.

Silversti takes all the glory but those backroom boys need a shout out as well... just saying.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:WHAT did,nt you go when the club offer deals on tickets for games like that.Yourself like me often complain about about he price of football these days which is a joke at times but with the club cutting prices like they did it was foolish not to take up on it.It was one of the best £10,s i have spent in a long while and no doubt most of the crowd would agree.
Fantastic night's entertainment. So pleased for our players, Garry Monk & our fans.

Heading down to Wales tomorrow morning for the weekend so football & bowls matches were out this week as I am very busy with my work, in fact I'm snowed under. I did three games last week going to Derby, Wigan & Wolves games so the cost although great value made no difference to me whether i should go or not. I insisted during the summer that I'd be cutting back on games this season due to other pleasures/demands in my life. I've attended eleven games already & anticipate to do 30+ games this season, shouldn't have to explain my reasons to anyone tbh.

Pleased for those who attended & I have no regrets missing the game. Tickets have arrived for Norwich away :-D
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Silvestri, future Italian #1, sitting on the bench in England, only getting the nod for cup games. Shocking.

Not sure what Monk see in Grimes? Clearly it is something the rest of us are missing.

MOT!
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

rab_rant wrote:All praise to Silvestri for his heroics but the real unsung heroes belong to the backroom boys.
While all the Leeds players were in a huddle deciding who would take penalties Silvestri was
off to the side being coached as to how to react when making saves.

How did he know to stand his ground when Pritchard tried to do a Pirlo?
And that third save from Brady was phenomenal.

Noel Whelan on the radio afterwards remarked that Silvestri was receiving signals from
the half way line on which way to dive. Can you imagine the analysis and research that
went into making those calculations.

Silversti takes all the glory but those backroom boys need a shout out as well... just saying.
Great call Rab, I was just behind the dugouts and our goal keeping coach (can't remember his name) during in the pens was giving Marco directions, he almost screamed at him to stand still for the Pritchard pen.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:Silvestri, future Italian #1, sitting on the bench in England, only getting the nod for cup games. Shocking.
Silvestri is still very young & I can't see Green carrying on much longer so I reckon Marco will become our No.1 again in the next couple of years Dan
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Another VLOG
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thank you sincerely for that clip Rab - I appreciated that very much. Very enjoyable.

What a game - we kept our heads up and drew with 10 men in extra time. Then Silvestri won us the game with fantastic saves.

Great stuff - good crowd for a midweek game as well - 22,222. It's not too early to dream of a better future is it?
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Only just been able to do my match report have been so busy since the game.
First 40 minutes Norwich could have been 2 or 3-0 up Alex Pritchard had another great game against us. However, we got the goal before half time and it totally changed the pattern of the game.
Second half was some of the most entertaining football I have seen at Elland Road for a long long time. Both teams played top quality attacking football. We finished the last 20 minutes really really well (as soon as Wood came on).
Extra Time first half was all Norwich second half all Leeds.
I was so so proud of the determination we showed. Garry got it spot on when we went 2-1 down :tup: .
Silvestri 9- Man Of The Match Made some good saves then 3 world class penalty saves.
Coyle 6- Struggled defensively.
Bartley 7-Defended well, however, some awful passes.
Cooper 7- Mostly good.
Berardi 7- Poor 1st half played very well after that.
Mowatt 5- Played out of position, however, quiet and missed a great chance.
Viera 8- Excellent second half and was superb at Right Back. Then took an excellent penalty.
Grimes 7- Protected the back 4 well incredible pass for our second goal. One or two poor passes, however, I was impressed by Matt even if he took a Chris Waddle penalty.
Roofe 7- Improving more and more.
Antonsson 7- Good goal and by far the best Marcus has played for us.
Doukara 8- Excellent performance.
Substitutions:
Wood 8- The game changed when the big man came on came on. Did everything: held the ball up, find passes, scored and never stopped running.
Phillips 8- Kalvin was excellent and played further forward.
To be fair, with the energy Woody and Kalvin brought to the team it still felt like we had 11 players.
Sacko 7- Created the goal and in extra time he played incredibly well.
Also did another VLOG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36yVxZ67-8Y&t=8s
We March On :scarf2: