Leeds v Newcastle - Team/News/Reports

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
MonkIn
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Leeds v Newcastle - Team/News/Reports

Post by MonkIn »

I see the Wood haters have come back out in force
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yeah you're right..I'll keep quiet in future. No room for opinions here
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Though I do think they're rational opinions and perfectly valid...and I never call anyone names.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Green balls up gifts Newcastle a goal...0-1
Calamity Jane :oops:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:0-1 HT, that's down to Green. Outside of that decent comeback after a slow start.
We needed to score in that 15 minute period before half-time

Also Sacko should have come on at half-time. At 0-2 it was too late with the game virtually over
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'e a feeling we could still be playing now and we'd not have scored...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote:The commentators kept saying "Why didn't Green catch the ball, instead of palming it down"
Because he is a clown, cost us 4 goals this season. Got very lucky in the 2nd half when he dilly-dallied with one of his kicks, needs to be sent to a retirement home
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Need to get our best striker on now...
What the fella who hardly got a kick ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Weird. I don't know if it's the way of the football fan to be knee jerk but I feel I've gone from overly positive to negative since the arrival of MC without actually changing my position one jot.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Sort of but Newcastle took their foot off the accelerator.
Won 2-0 in 2nd gear
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:What the fella who hardly got a kick ?

yes that one..the one that gets ten minutes per game to make a difference.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:The better side won today, but they didn't play us off the park. Clanger from Green and a fine team goal the difference. Thought our back four was solid, but midfield gave them too much respect early doors. We missed Bridcutt and, especially, Hernandez today. Newcastle will win this league at a canter, so no disgrace losing to them. What we do in January is key, I feel, their bench looked much stronger than ours. We need some depth
Can't disagree with any of that :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:And can we have someone else doing our set-piece deliveries, Phillips' were shocking for the most part today?
Abysmal

Was saying that during the game, surely we have someone who can actually cross a ball to beat the first man or not over hit the ball. Thought young Phillips was dire today
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

anyway PIT/CLE just kicked off ...time for some football
1964white

Post by 1964white »

MartinezIn wrote:I see the Wood haters have come back out in force
Not from me mate, he got no service from our inexperienced inept midfield whatsoever today
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not a lot between the two sides when you consider the Geordies had a fully-strength side that cost £50m+ compared to the make-shift set of players Monk has put together on a low budget. Had the services of Bridcutt, Dallas & our talented play-maker Hernandez been available to us it could have been a whole different story. Our young kids struggled in the midfield area today, a big ask for them against a team that will eventually walk this league. Apart from the clanger & a very well taken goal what did Newcastle produce, I can't recall our resident clown between the sticks having to make a save, whereas their keeper Darlow produced three saves in the period just before half-time. A very messy game without the pressing & fluency we've witnessed in our recent games

Green - 2
Ayling - 8 (MOTM)
Bartley - 6
Jansson - 7
Taylor - 7
O'Kane - 6
Vieira - 4
Doukara - 5
Roofe - 5
Phillips - 4
Wood - 5

Sacko - 5
Antonsson - 5
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Today simply showed the difference between a side with the premiership money and squad strength versus a side that is improving but lacking depth.

The biggest miss today was the loss of Hernandez as none of O'Kane, Vieira or Phillips are attacking midfielders, as such Wood was isolated and we struggled to keep possession in the Newcastle half. As such Newcastle were able to dominate possession and with us also lacking the express pace of Sacko we weren't even able to git them on the break.

For all Newcastle started well I felt we had weathered the storm and were growing into the game when we conceded the calamitous goal. I can understand Green not wanting to catch it as his momentum as he was moving backward would have seen him probably fall into the net with the ball but to just palm it down was an atrocious decision. Goals conceded like that really knock the stuffing/confidence out of a team much more than if the opposition puts a decent move together to score. It reminded me so much of last season where we simply gifted the win to the opposition. Not sure that Silvestre is the answer as he is also prone to errors but we need a steady keeper.

Apart from that Newcastle didn't really create much else apart from the goal, which to me was down to poor marking of Gayle as one of the centre backs have to pic him up. Yes people might say they took their foot off the gas but equally when they had their good opening they didn't create much either.

All in all not doom and gloom as we won't be facing sides of Newcastle's ilk every week. We do need to bounce back against Rotherham though and if Hernandez is still out injured we need to be bolder and have someone more attacking to play in his role.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

One thing that did surprise me a bit from Monk was how he set up the midfield, I know it's not fashionable but I would just have told Phillips to go man for man on Shelvey, get in his face and stop him playing, he's a bit feisty if it doesn't go his way and could have got himself in trouble. If Phillips got booked I'd have swapped him and Vieira and told him to do the same. We set up to go toe to toe with the Geordies but sometimes you've got to be realistic about you're squad, think our midfield really suffered for that today - long term it will be fine but today we lacked the experience to play that way.....IMHO!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

I'm not sure whether it's lack of funds or lack of inclination because of the fan base.
There is that but reports of having his money unavailable because of family restrictions may also have some validity.

MC did well this year in getting us the players he did, and we still don't really know if the choices were MC's or Monk's, or an agreement between them, but having them worked out for us. There is the hope that the new players turn out to be really good and give us more options.

Nevertheless the end result is the same in the short term - a lack of quality depth, mentioned by most people contributing to this thread. Spending money doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to get promoted, as we have seen with the Wendies, Derby and Notts Forest, but nevertheless a greater commitment than MC seems to have made would seem to be necessary if he isn't going to have to make a refund as promised.

twt
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

once again jansson got himself a stupid yellow card which will rule him out of the rotherham game this clown needs to take a serious look at himself three of his five bookings have been for just utter stupidity.