Leeds v Reading - Team/News/Reports

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds v Reading - Team/News/Reports

Post by Gurj »

Last night shows how stats can distort the truth. No doubts Stam and the Reading camp would point to the 76% possession they had and say they dominated the game BUT in reality, having looked into it this morning, only 13% of their dominance was inside our third of the pitch !!

From all the tweets etc and full match commentary I listened to last night from Popey, it seemed like their centre halfs just passed the ball to each other for much of the game - well they can do that all night if they deem that as dominance and possession of the ball.

What we did well with our 24% was show positive intent.......was so proud how we managed to get at them with a patched up midfield. Dallas outstanding and Bridcutt thrown in the deep end so quickly truly immense. Pontus, Ayling, Charlie also superb at the back but I want to give special praise to a man who I believe hasnt got the credit he has warranted for being a tower of strength game in game out. Kyle Bartley, you have been sensational and again last night. Pontus may be the darling of ER these days but I vouch to say he would not be seen in such light had it not been for he's partner and our stand in skipper. Take a bow Barts.

Praying Wood's injury isnt too bad, cant see him being risked on Saturday even if it isnt. Looking very short up front now, whereas in midfield the imminent returns of Pablo and O'Kane, with Kalvin returning from suspension will soon give us plenty of options.

Not been this excited at our prospects for a long long time - hope it continues like this for months to come !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Ronan wrote:Superb win.......sounded on radio like a great game and atmosphere....well done lads !!!

And on the day i celebrate 4 years Cancer Free :-D

MOT :shirt: :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:
Only just seeing this, Ronan, can't believe it's 4 years. Happy days, mucker, long may it continue!!! :tup: :tup: :tup:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I was listening to Adam Pope commentary and it seemed Leeds were pressing all the time.
Then I checked the BBC stats and it kept saying Reading had 77% possession.
I kept hitting REFRESH to get that stat updated but it stayed the same throughout the game.
Now that was a bit of Cognitive Dissonance where what you are hearing does not match the facts.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Ronan wrote:Superb win.......sounded on radio like a great game and atmosphere....well done lads !!!

And on the day i celebrate 4 years Cancer Free :-D

MOT :shirt: :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:
Nice to hear Ronan , keep it up mate.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Norm wrote:As we beat Reading there’s now only 5 points separating 3rd from 10th – if Derby win tomorrow they’ll be in 5th, pushing us to 6th. Another match Saturday. Brentford have had a bad spell but won tonight. We’re good enough to beat them but how many more injuries are we going to get – Wood and Roofe now. We’re stretched thinner than gauze.

I read a report that said Reading played keep ball in their own half for a good part of the game – all I know is we won with 23% possession. Bizarre.
Yeah funny you say that Norm, I was at work and kept loading our game every 5 minutes that has all stats and player's shots and misses. I kept thinking to myself gee Reading have to score with that amount of Possession and every time I loaded the page yeah I was in panic stations.

Brilliant result and sets up a brilliant Festive Season and much hope that finally this Season our dreams will be fulfilled again.

A few astute buys and this could truly be our year.
Do you guys think we are still a chance in retaining Charlie Taylor? Or will we cash in on him and see him moved on? Or the other question is has Charlie Taylor had a change of heart and wants to stay?
gessa

Post by gessa »

leedsmad wrote: Do you guys think we are still a chance in retaining Charlie Taylor? Or will we cash in on him and see him moved on? Or the other question is has Charlie Taylor had a change of heart and wants to stay?
My opinion for what it's worth. I think if the right club come in for him he'll want to go and if the takeover doesn't happen soon, then the club will very likely need to cash in to finance deals for Jansson, Hernandez etc.. he may see Leeds as a club on the up now and remain until the end of the season to see what happens before making a decision, if we do manage to get up, he'd be better staying here than going to teams like West Brom and Stoke.Who knows, he may have seen that Byram and Cook haven't found out the grass isn't always greener even if it is financially more rewarding.

In conclusion, I haven't got a bloody clue.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Sorry for the mini hijack of the thread but just got caught up with the emotion of the great win and stuck my good news in with it too....didn't want to resurrect the "one foot in the grave" thread again....that would bore you all to tears......couldn't have done it without all your support folks !!! ;)
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ronan wrote:Sorry for the mini hijack of the thread but just got caught up with the emotion of the great win and stuck my good news in with it too....didn't want to resurrect the "one foot in the grave" thread again....that would bore you all to tears......couldn't have done it without all your support folks !!! ;)
Good news Ronan :tup:
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

As a relative newcomer to this forum I dont know you Ronan, but I enjoy your posts and great to hear your good news ! My son lives in Enniskillen so for the past 2 years I have been a pretty frequent visitor to Northern Ireland and what a beautiful place it is. Anyway I was at last nights game and must say if I was a Reading fan I wouldnt be amused watching that possesion drivel every week. I thought we were great and didnt play into their hands by letting them pull us out of shape to create openings. All the team put a great shift in (not sure about Mowatt ) and when we get back to full strength who knows how far we can go.....Happy Days :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

When i saw us line up with a formation of 4-1-4-1 with a midfield four consisting of Sacko Doukara Dallas Roofe with Vieira tooked behind i thought this is different :) any other game over the last twelve years or so I'd have thought we're in for a battering here. Not the case under Garry Monk I trust any team he puts out in whatever formation because he is a coach that thinks outside of the box. He scuppered Stam's plans from the word go as Reading pretended to be a play like a poor man's Barcelona as their centre-backs & goalie played keep ball for much of the game, I've never seen 'owt like it at ER, made for good entertainment in the South Stand as our fans constantly took the micky out of their play.
Leeds started well with Sacko & Roofe getting round the back of the Royals defence with ease, the first goal was only a matter of time, Sacko picked the ball up & jinked into the box supplying a pass to Wood who scored with a cracking finish.
Losing Wood with a hamstring injury didn't help our cause one bit but this squad of players have fire in their bellies & were determined not to concede as they blocked what little Reading threw at them epitomised by Bartley's tackle, two really good saves from Green & Jansson's sliding clearance off the line right at the death. Cue the Pontus celebration with the fans.....brilliant !!

Amazing we win a game with Mowatt & Grimes on the pitch :wink:

Green 8
Ayling 7
Bartley 8
Jansson 8
Taylor 8
Vieira 8
Sacko 8
Doukara 8
Dallas 8
Roofe 7
Wood 8

Subs : Bridcutt 7, Grimes 7, Mowatt 5
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Ronan wrote:Sorry for the mini hijack of the thread but just got caught up with the emotion of the great win and stuck my good news in with it too....didn't want to resurrect the "one foot in the grave" thread again....that would bore you all to tears......couldn't have done it without all your support folks !!! ;)
Great to hear! So happy for you Ronan.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white

Post by 1964white »

http://www.skysports.com/efl/championsh ... -0-reading

Another lovely finish from BB's favourite player :wink:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:When i saw us line up with a formation of 4-1-4-1 with a midfield four consisting of Sacko Doukara Dallas Roofe with Vieira tooked behind i thought this is different :) any other game over the last twelve years or so I'd have thought we're in for a battering here. Not the case under Garry Monk I trust any team he puts out in whatever formation because he is a coach that thinks outside of the box. He scuppered Stam's plans from the word go as Reading pretended to be a play like a poor man's Barcelona as their centre-backs & goalie played keep ball for much of the game, I've never seen 'owt like it at ER, made for good entertainment in the South Stand as our fans constantly took the micky out of their play.
Leeds started well with Sacko & Roofe getting round the back of the Royals defence with ease, the first goal was only a matter of time, Sacko picked the ball up & jinked into the box supplying a pass to Wood who scored with a cracking finish.
Losing Wood with a hamstring injury didn't help our cause one bit but this squad of players have fire in their bellies & were determined not to concede as they blocked what little Reading threw at them epitomised by Bartley's tackle, two really good saves from Green & Jansson's sliding clearance off the line right at the death. Cue the Pontus celebration with the fans.....brilliant !!

Amazing we win a game with Mowatt & Grimes on the pitch :wink:

Green 8
Ayling 7
Bartley 8
Jansson 8
Taylor 8
Vieira 8
Sacko 8
Doukara 8
Dallas 8
Roofe 7
Wood 8

Subs : Bridcutt 7, Grimes 7, Mowatt 5
How did Bridcutt do,
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:How did Bridcutt do,
He did well mate, certainly not 100% match-fit by any means but that 60 minutes would have done him the world of good
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:He did well mate, certainly not 100% match-fit but that 60 minutes would have done him the world of good
That's great to read, was going to be hard for him to do a full 90 but as you say that 60 may have done him the world of good. Wonder if he'll start Saturday, I have a feeling he won't, perhaps given another 30 to help his fitness.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:That's great to read, was going to be hard for him to do a full 90 but as you say that 60 may have done him the world of good. Wonder if he'll start Saturday, I have a feeling he won't, perhaps given another 30 to help his fitness.
Yes I reckon Monk will start with Vieira & Phillips