Transfers Out and Ex-Player Watch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Transfers Out and Ex-Player Watch

Post by Genghers »

Twiggster wrote:Again IF the Academy closes, local born talent (who may be Leeds fans too, or their Dads are!), will be denied the opportunity to play for LUFC at any level, and will go to other clubs.

Our loss, but never mind eh? Cellino is god and will bring in hordes of Italian kids to replace our local lads... :roll:
I doubt Cellino is going to close the academy, he's said in interviews that he's building for the next 10 years, so that would suggest he sees the bigger picture.

I reckon it's part of a restructuring to a way which is more familiar to him (probably to be more like Italians). As much as Naylor and Bromby have a place here, there is no room for sentiment in football... Cellino will have seen their respective CVs and thought he could improve on their positions/utilise someone else within the set up to do their job.

Hockaday has come in as head coach, maybe they now fall under his jurisdiction?
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Bournemouth apparently lining up a bid for Gradel... Would love to see him back here, especially given our lack of pace!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: I doubt Cellino is going to close the academy, he's said in interviews that he's building for the next 10 years, so that would suggest he sees the bigger picture.

I reckon it's part of a restructuring to a way which is more familiar to him (probably to be more like Italians). As much as Naylor and Bromby have a place here, there is no room for sentiment in football... Cellino will have seen their respective CVs and thought he could improve on their positions/utilise someone else within the set up to do their job.

Hockaday has come in as head coach, maybe they now fall under his jurisdiction?
Indeed Genghers :tup: let's face previous employees haven't pulled any trees up !

So many of our fans have got use to mediocrity :shock:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Out of the current crop only Byram and Lees are first team regulars, with the latter getting more than his fair share of criticism,so is he really good enough? are the others good enough? who knows until they're given a chance.
Lets face it none of these loyal local lads and their Leeds supporting parents would ever let their offspring join the likes of Chelsea, Man City and take a nice trip to Spain given the first opportunity.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Twiggster wrote:
Errm - nope :duno: Current crop of youngsters in Italy preseason squad ATM, were from the Academy when ken was here...
Byram and Taylor and Skelton are all from that time. Ross Killock is another - many more as I recall, but it is midnight here and 30C, so I can't be arsed to check :mrgreen: Dawson! Tom Lees. Some will make it and others wont, but they came from OUR Academy.

I have to ask about the current crop of newbies tho, who have started at the Academy in the past few years. IF the Academy closes, where are they then, at 10/14 years old? Not just about footy at TA - it's about combining it with regular education as well, which is something that Redders, Nayls and Brombs and Lucy Ward have done very well.

Again IF the Academy closes, local born talent (who may be Leeds fans too, or their Dads are!), will be denied the opportunity to play for LUFC at any level, and will go to other clubs.

Our loss, but never mind eh? Cellino is god and will bring in hordes of Italian kids to replace our local lads... :roll:
I was talking about how the academy was run and the bigger picture of it's future. Clearly there is some talent from the academy, but not enough to justify the expense of running it as is and has been for the last 10+ years. Seriously doubt Cellino will be bringing in hordes of Italian kids, but would expect him to bring in the best talent he can find, whether it's local or not. Sucks for Nayls and Bromby, but such is the life sometimes.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Anyroad -ex player watch. McCormack was captain, in his 1st game for Fulham today...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:Anyroad -ex player watch. McCormack was captain, in his 1st game for Fulham today...
The Cottagers going down the same road as LUFC did with McCormack as captain......DOWNWARDS !
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Crude wrote: I was talking about how the academy was run and the bigger picture of it's future. Clearly there is some talent from the academy, but not enough to justify the expense of running it as is and has been for the last 10+ years. Seriously doubt Cellino will be bringing in hordes of Italian kids, but would expect him to bring in the best talent he can find, whether it's local or not. Sucks for Nayls and Bromby, but such is the life sometimes.
Agree with this. British players, specifically English ones, are often overhyped and overpriced. Cellino, like Bates and GFH, is trying to create a Leeds team on a budget. The crucial difference is Cellino is, or at least appears to be, doing it that way to sort out the financial problems of the club rather than trying to make a quick profit. He sees the longer term gain to be had. Getting players in from abroad is simply being done because that's where the best value is.

We can only look at the premiership and see that foreign players, who play in foreign leagues, are brought into the Premier League for a fraction of the cost of a player from another club in the Premiership.

Whilst we've had Milner and Delph come through the academy in the past; we haven't really been overly successful with the youngsters. The numerous players that have came through have potential; Byram, Lees, Mowatt, Dawson... but there's probably been millions poured into the academy in those years and whilst Byram would probably make a few million, you can't see us making money to cover that. Value has came from the likes of Gradel, Snodgrass, Becchio and McCormack, who have been brought in, improved the club and sold for a decent amount (or would have been sold for a decent amount if we weren't run by fools.) Can we afford to keep spending money we don't have in trying to improve the academy when we could get players in of equal or greater quality for equal or lesser money?

I hope the academy is the last option on the 'things to cut' list, but I would be against holding onto it for sentimental reasons when the financial viability of it is not there.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

If you're looking at the balance sheet you should add Lennon and Howson to Milner and Delph
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Pugh signed for Coventry on a one year deal Article
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote:
The Cottagers going down the same road as LUFC did with McCormack as captain......DOWNWARDS !
I think that McCormack was captain as they were playing against one of his former clubs. However, if you would like to have a little wager, I would be more than willing to bet that Fulham would finish above Leeds this coming season. :)
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: I think that McCormack was captain as they were playing against one of his former clubs. However, if you would like to have a little wager, I would be more than willing to bet that Fulham would finish above Leeds this coming season. :)
I expect Fulham to end up above us although I think the Cottagers will struggle to go back up automatically or through the play-offs so no I wouldn't take on a bet with you Gandi
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

re the Academy and Thorpe Arch, I am thinking before to long we will see a development behind Elland road (the old training pitches) as our new academy and training ground.

Basically to save cash on staffing and admin and the rest.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

mav wrote:re the Academy and Thorpe Arch, I am thinking before to long we will see a development behind Elland road (the old training pitches) as our new academy and training ground.

Basically to save cash on staffing and admin and the rest.

Nice thought mav, but I think it would be hard to turn back the clock. I believe all that that ground is now owned by Leeds City Council, who love to make match day fortunes out of it at a fiver a car!

However, there must be enough flat ground within easy distance of ER which isn't good enough for houses.
:tup:
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Bizarre story: Ariyibi trial for Burnley.

I never saw him, but from what I heard he didn't sound like a potential Premier League player
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote:Bizarre story: Ariyibi trial for Burnley.

I never saw him, but from what I heard he didn't sound like a potential Premier League player

Looked like Bambi On Ice to me, probably turn out to be a top prem player now after my comment :lol:
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Had high hopes for him too...think because he has pace and came from Southamptons Academy, his actual footballing skill is assumed. We had high hopes for Stewart on one wing, Aryibi on the other.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

1964white wrote:

Looked like Bambi On Ice to me, probably turn out to be a top prem player now after my comment :lol:
He definitely wasn't ready to be thrown in at the deep end. Perhaps could have developed.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dr.Leeds wrote:
He definitely wasn't ready to be thrown in at the deep end. Perhaps could have developed.
Probably not but which genius of a manager put the lad in that position :roll:
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

1964white wrote:
Probably not but which genius of a manager put the lad in that position :roll:
The manager who wanted a wide option and only had one.