What do we need for promotion?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

What do we need for promotion?

Post by dezzy »

Looking at the past two seasons we will be needing 75+ points to be in the playoff positions 90 to gain automatic promotion. That would mean we would need 20 + wins and a few draws and nearly 30 wins + draws to gain automatic promotion!!!
With one down 45 to go can we win half of our games? That's 69 points with 10 draws 13 losses.
We won 14 last year, drew 17 and lost 15, a season we can all agree did not go all that well.
Yesterday left a horrible taste in my mouth as I really feel we have a chance at going up.
It's interesting looking at the previous years at what the points total we need to be aiming for is, For me to turn a few draws into wins and be in the mix we just need that little bit of positivity and a can do attitude we have talent in the squad lets just hope we can have a bit of excitement come the end of the season
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: What do we need for promotion?

Post by danhirons »

i'd look more at how many points are needed to stay up instead of how many are needed for promotion. absolutely no chance of automatic promotion, and I don't think we'll be anywhere near the playoffs.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote:i'd look more at how many points are needed to stay up instead of how many are needed for promotion. absolutely no chance of automatic promotion, and I don't think we'll be anywhere near the playoffs.

After yesterday's shambles you are exactly right Dan, never had us down for a play-off before the QPR fiasco

I keep saying the spine isn't right

We need a proper keeper, one who doesn't flap like a bird
A commanding CB to play along side of Bartley
A defensive midfielder, Bridcutt would be ideal
And a Jermaine Beckford type striker who sits on the shoulder of a defender & frightens the living daylights out of them as oppose to the immobility of the pedestrian Wood
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I can't see auto places being realistic, but with a good run we ought to push for playoffs.

I think that Bartley looked good in general vs QPR, but we're going to need Bamba and/or Cooper to step up from last season or bring in a solid CB as it's a position we've lacked strength in for years. Worrying that we haven't really been linked with any...

Bridcutt deal seems very likely now, so I think that should improve the midfield. And I don't really think we're short in attacking options...

I would like to see another LB come in and to be honest, I don't mind Taylor being sold as long as the replacement is good - he didn't look sharp yesterday and if his head's not right we won't get what we want from him.

I think Monk made a mistake starting Berardi, considering he's only just back from injury and hasn't played much, and losing thar sub might have cost us.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:After yesterday's shambles you are exactly right Dan, never had us down for a play-off before the QPR fiasco

I keep saying the spine isn't right

We need a proper keeper, one who doesn't flap like a bird
A commanding CB to play along side of Bartley
A defensive midfielder, Bridcutt would be ideal
And a Jermaine Beckford type striker who sits on the shoulder of a defender & frightens the living daylights out of them as oppose to the immobility of the pedestrian Wood
Agree re keeper, Leon, Green getting the spot is, for me anyway, harsh on Silvestri, whose handling of crosses and high balls improved as the season went on last year.

Defensive midfielder is a must. I argued that Dave could do the job, but I fear I was wrong. He was invisible yesterday. Let's get the Bridcutt deal across the line.

I'd like to see the lump dropped and Antonsson given a run. Looked to have decent movement in his cameo appearance yesterday.

I'd possibly put a new CB as bottom of the list of needs. I've a feeling that Cooper would thrive beside Bartley, who looks a natural leader. Bamba might be club captain, but he's becoming more and more of a liability. Strays too far forward, maybe he could be a DM??
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

A miracle!! :wink:
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Automatic promotion and top 6 are possible but should not be the expectation.
Can we expect our squad on paper compete with the quality of Norwich, Sheff Wed, Brighton, Cardiff, Derby, Aston Villa, Ipswich or Newcastle? No in my opinion. So that's at least 8 teams who are better prepared than us and working with better players.
Top 10 is the expectation from me this season a push for the play offs would be an INCREDIBLE achievement from Monk.

I am not saying it is impossible to make the play offs, however, we shouldn't be judging Monk on whether or not he gets us into the top 6 he should be judged on whether or not he can get us in the top 10 and then we can build from there.

We need another centre back, defensive midfielder and a striker who can play through the middle and outwide if necessary (Bamford or Nugent) for the play offs to be realistic. And a new left back if Charlie leaves.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Agree re keeper, Leon, Green getting the spot is, for me anyway, harsh on Silvestri, whose handling of crosses and high balls improved as the season went on last year.

Defensive midfielder is a must. I argued that Dave could do the job, but I fear I was wrong. He was invisible yesterday. Let's get the Bridcutt deal across the line.

I'd like to see the lump dropped and Antonsson given a run. Looked to have decent movement in his cameo appearance yesterday.

I'd possibly put a new CB as bottom of the list of needs. I've a feeling that Cooper would thrive beside Bartley, who looks a natural leader. Bamba might be club captain, but he's becoming more and more of a liability. Strays too far forward, maybe he could be a DM??
Honest of you to admit you fear you are wrong re Diagouraga Nick I've never been his biggest fan, doesn't do enough for me & as we witnessed yesterday when Dave had his opportunity to shine he was inept.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:Honest of you to admit you fear you are wrong re Diagouraga Nick I've never been his biggest fan, doesn't do enough for me & as we witnessed yesterday when Dave had his opportunity to shine he was inept.
Never afraid to admit when I'm wrong, Leon, none of us get everything right all the time. It's perhaps harsh for me to judge Dave on one game as the main DM, but he was anonymous yesterday. Perhaps Bridcutt made him look better than he actually was? Him and Grimes are certainly not the answer; Grimes, in particular, looked completely out of his depth
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Never afraid to admit when I'm wrong, Leon, none of us get everything right all the time. It's perhaps harsh for me to judge Dave on one game as the main DM, but he was anonymous yesterday. Perhaps Bridcutt made him look better than he actually was? Him and Grimes are certainly not the answer; Grimes, in particular, looked completely out of his depth
Nail on the head when Dave had Bridcutt covering him
gessa

Post by gessa »

Firstly as things stand I don't think we have a cat in hells chance of promotion.
First thing needed to increase our chances is:
Monk needs to be big enough to admit he's drop a clanger with Green, drop him now, if he has no confidence in Silvestri then play Turnbull until we can get a strong keeper
Then he needs to drop Bamba and hope Cooper can stay fit. Then he needs to go to the main man and tell him we need to sign Bridcutt and a top quality CB. Tell him we're best cutting ties with Taylor, he doesn't want to be here so let's get someone who does. And finally I have come to realise Wood is crap, I held out a lot of hope but now realise i had misjudged him, Antonson needs to be given the role at least he has movement in him.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is hard to judge what is needed to get into the top 6 in terms of points as it can vary greatly from season to season and it may be that 65-70 points is enough.
What we do need is to cut out the soft goals. For all QPR dominated the first half I wonder if they would have been quite so rampant without the huge lift the goal gave them - and also the demoralising factor among the Leeds team. I made the point earlier about how we need to make other teams work hard to score goals and yet all 3 goals yesterday were shockingly soft goals to concede.
For all we were awful it was hardly like QPR were cutting us open. We gifted them the 3 goals and almost a 4th with Vieira's clearance which ricocheted onto the post off the QPR player.
That for me is the key - I am confident we will score more goals than last season. Apart from Wood and Antenucci no one looked like scoring last year. It would have to be a terrible season to not outscore last year's total. So if we score more and concede less than that should lead to more points than last season and hopefully push us into the mix. We lost to QPR last season so in effect we haven't lost ground on last season.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I feel our defence was ok but got little help from behind or infront of them. Still can't believe how uninspiring Green was. Cooper in for bamba and if we sign Birdcutt that will help our softness, add to that Hernandez, Sacko showing what he can do and roofe will improve.
Don't forget it's the first time in awhile we have a good manager, who played in this league. 20 wins should be the aim and add in a few draws the 70 point mark should be top 6 as there are so many good teams in the league.
Keep the faith!!!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Firstly as things stand I don't think we have a cat in hells chance of promotion.
First thing needed to increase our chances is:
Monk needs to be big enough to admit he's drop a clanger with Green, drop him now, if he has no confidence in Silvestri then play Turnbull until we can get a strong keeper
Then he needs to drop Bamba and hope Cooper can stay fit. Then he needs to go to the main man and tell him we need to sign Bridcutt and a top quality CB. Tell him we're best cutting ties with Taylor, he doesn't want to be here so let's get someone who does. And finally I have come to realise Wood is crap, I held out a lot of hope but now realise i had misjudged him, Antonson needs to be given the role at least he has movement in him.
:tup:
:tup: :tup:

Great minds think alike mate :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:Never afraid to admit when I'm wrong, Leon, none of us get everything right all the time. It's perhaps harsh for me to judge Dave on one game as the main DM, but he was anonymous yesterday. Perhaps Bridcutt made him look better than he actually was? Him and Grimes are certainly not the answer; Grimes, in particular, looked completely out of his depth

Diagouraga did get better as the game went on, (I will also admit when I'm wrong remember I said Warnock was the ideal manager!!) but I'm not wrong yet on Diagouraga who'll need to gel with the new partnership...I will agree he's not as flashy as Bridcutt who puts it about a bit (not always a good thing) but he positions himself well (I counted 3 tackles in the second half) and makes it difficult for teams to play through the middle...None of the goals were his fault on sunday and none of the goals came through the middle, Last season even with Bridcutt teams found that's where they could beat us.

Wood is a problem, attacking central midfield is a problem. 64 highlighted 4 areas of concern, all of which may have solutions at the club. Antonsson instead of Wood, Hernandez instead of Grimes (Remember he may have the quality but it's the motivation that'll be key, if he's come to play we'll be golden) Cooper, who finished the season well (still years away from peak remember (we write players off too quickly)) could be the answer at CB

and Roofe could be the answer to the Beckford conundrum and don't forget it took Beckford three seasons to get going
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

that said if Bridcutt returns I'll be "over the moon" but it has to be for the right fee and the right wage
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

I think it's far too early to decide what/who this team needs. Giving Monk a WHOLE MONTH before I start backseat managing.

:-)
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote:Diagouraga did get better as the game went on, (I will also admit when I'm wrong remember I said Warnock was the ideal manager!!) but I'm not wrong yet on Diagouraga who'll need to gel with the new partnership...I will agree he's not as flashy as Bridcutt who puts it about a bit (not always a good thing) but he positions himself well (I counted 3 tackles in the second half) and makes it difficult for teams to play through the middle...None of the goals were his fault on sunday and none of the goals came through the middle, Last season even with Bridcutt teams found that's where they could beat us.

Wood is a problem, attacking central midfield is a problem. 64 highlighted 4 areas of concern, all of which may have solutions at the club. Antonsson instead of Wood, Hernandez instead of Grimes (Remember he may have the quality but it's the motivation that'll be key, if he's come to play we'll be golden) Cooper, who finished the season well (still years away from peak remember (we write players off too quickly)) could be the answer at CB

and Roofe could be the answer to the Beckford conundrum and don't forget it took Beckford three seasons to get going
As I said in my response to Leon, it might be unfair to judge Dave on one game, but I can't recall hearing his name mentioned (though I did miss first half). What is patently clear to me is that Grimes is not cut out for this league and Dave will need someone decent (Bridcutt?) beside him. Concur with everything else you say, three changes to the starting line-up and keep Roofe on. Needs game time to settle at the higher level.
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

I think Dave is a poor version of Rudolph Austin, If you squint your eyes when he's on the ball it could be Austin without the ability to pass the ball. Yes we need a CB and also not sure if it's true but I am sure I had read somewhere that Wood only came to LUFC if he could have in his contract that he would be number 1 striker?? That would explain why we keep playing him because without his penalties he wouldn't get anywhere near 20 goals and to be honest last season I had more confidence in Antennuci scoring from the spot. We either need to play Antonnson with Wood or Antonnson by himself. Monk grab your balls and drop Wood.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote:As I said in my response to Leon, it might be unfair to judge Dave on one game, but I can't recall hearing his name mentioned (though I did miss first half). What is patently clear to me is that Grimes is not cut out for this league and Dave will need someone decent (Bridcutt?) beside him. Concur with everything else you say, three changes to the starting line-up and keep Roofe on. Needs game time to settle at the higher level.
Hhm unfair to judge Dave on one game yet you then judge Grimes on one game.....

Grimes was poor but it can be argued that we never really got the ball to him especially in the first half. I am not willing to write any players off yet as players can look amazing if the team is playing well and awful if the team is playing awful.