Championship Talk

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Championship Talk

Post by gessa »

8/9 games in now, how about a thread solely to the goings on in the Championship not necessarily involving Leeds.

Preston did themselves a power of good with a 1-0 win at home to Wigan, who could find themselves at the foot of the table by 5pm tomorrow, hopefully not, lets hope Rotherham beat Cardiff and that unwanted honour goes to them instead. Derby may be in trouble if they lose at home to Blackburn, unlikely but you never know. I can see Huddesfield getting their first defeat tomorrow, leaving it open for Norwich to take top spot. Big game at Villa Park with the two big hitters transfer wise facing each other, the spending spree as so far worked out better for the Geordies than the Villains,who could be very close to the bottom with a loss tomorrow.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Championship Talk

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:8/9 games in now, how about a thread solely to the goings on in the Championship not necessarily involving Leeds.

Preston did themselves a power of good with a 1-0 win at home to Wigan, who could find themselves at the foot of the table by 5pm tomorrow, hopefully not, lets hope Rotherham beat Cardiff and that unwanted honour goes to them instead. Derby may be in trouble if they lose at home to Blackburn, unlikely but you never know. I can see Huddesfield getting their first defeat tomorrow, leaving it open for Norwich to take top spot. Big game at Villa Park with the two big hitters transfer wise facing each other, the spending spree as so far worked out better for the Geordies than the Villains,who could be very close to the bottom with a loss tomorrow.
Wigan already looking vulnerable in this league. Preston still a point behind us.

Yes Reading are on a run so a tough game for the terriers tomorrow. For some reason i can see Blackburn ramming a draw at Derby

Can't see anything but a win for Norwich which will set the tone for the season with the canaries in pole position. Brighton will probably move into the pack at the top with a win over the tykes

As for Villa their start to the championship campaign reminds me of Rosler's Leeds, just one win in eight matches with five draws. Has McCormack jinxed another club :lol:

All speculation, as you say Ges you never can tell in this league, every team can beat one another on their day
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

As always the Champinship is unpredictable with anyone capable of beating anyone. Most people's favourites Newcastle have lost a couple of home games which they really should have won. Who'd have thought Huddersfield and Barnsle would be up there, personally I expected both these two to be scrapping at the other end of the table. Derby are finding it tough and mid table candidates Cardiff and QPR look awful.

Realistically I expect Newcastle and Norwich to go all the way but as for the play offs it's any four teams who can put some form together, probably Brighton will be up there again and as an outside bet Huddersfield as they've shown no signs of cracking. Another 5 or 6 six games might give the table a chance to sort itself out and give us an idea of how the seasons going to pan out
gessa

Post by gessa »

rich_leeds64 wrote:As always the Champinship is unpredictable with anyone capable of beating anyone. Most people's favourites Newcastle have lost a couple of home games which they really should have won. Who'd have thought Huddersfield and Barnsle would be up there, personally I expected both these two to be scrapping at the other end of the table. Derby are finding it tough and mid table candidates Cardiff and QPR look awful.

Realistically I expect Newcastle and Norwich to go all the way but as for the play offs it's any four teams who can put some form together, probably Brighton will be up there again and as an outside bet Huddersfield as they've shown no signs of cracking. Another 5 or 6 six games might give the table a chance to sort itself out and give us an idea of how the seasons going to pan out
As Barnsley and Huddesfield have been a shock at the top, it's just a big as a shock with how Derby are performing, most people's pick for a play off place at the start of the season I would think, hopefully their form continues, not a club I have much time for. The crap I've had off Villa fans around here over the dozen years makes me hope they continue to struggle too.
Norwich, Newcastle in that order for the top positions, then as you say the next 4 places are really up for grabs, Brentford and B'Ham could well be in the mix this season, both have been getting some good results, the next 6 games could be very interesting Rich.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:As always the Champinship is unpredictable with anyone capable of beating anyone. Most people's favourites Newcastle have lost a couple of home games which they really should have won. Who'd have thought Huddersfield and Barnsle would be up there, personally I expected both these two to be scrapping at the other end of the table. Derby are finding it tough and mid table candidates Cardiff and QPR look awful.

Huddersfield & Barnsley may still be scapping at the bottom come the end of the season

Norwich, Brighton & Newcastle have been my top 3 fancies since day one
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Brighton 2-0 Barnsley
Derby 1-2 Blackburn
Fulham 0-4 Bristol City
Leeds 1-0 Ipswich
Norwich 3-1 Burton
QPR 1-1 Birmingham
Reading 1-0 Huddersfield
Rotherham 1-2 Cardiff
Sheff Wed 2-1 Nottm Forest
Wolves 3-1 Brentford
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Derby losing at home to Blackburn

Bristol City thrashing Fulham 4-0 at Craven Cottage
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Is it me or is the league less daunting this year? Not many teams for us to fear
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote:Is it me or is the league less daunting this year? Not many teams for us to fear
The majority were claiming it is a tougher league Dezzy

We are just a more competent side now, we're making the opposition look ordinary

Monk has made some great signings who are gelling quickly
gessa

Post by gessa »

dezzy wrote:Is it me or is the league less daunting this year? Not many teams for us to fear
More to do with having more confidence in our chances this season dezzy.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Table before this evenings game, things looking so much better for Leeds. Norwich taking top spot, should be staying there now,3 other form teams Brighton, B'Ham and Reading sitting nicely in ther play off positions now. At the other end of the table, Wigan planted firmly at the bottom and one of thew best bits of news all day, Derby in the bottom 3.

1 Norwich 9 6 20
2 Huddersfield 9 4 19
3 Brighton 9 6 17
4 Reading 9 0 17
5 Birmingham 9 4 16
6 Newcastle 8 10 15
7 Barnsley 9 6 15
8 Wolves 9 3 15
9 Brentford 9 6 14
10 Bristol City 9 5 14
11 Sheff Wed 9 -1 14
12 Leeds 9 -1 13
13 Fulham 9 -2 13
14 Ipswich 9 0 12
15 Nottm Forest 9 -2 11
16 QPR 9 -4 11
17 Burton 9 -2 9
18 Preston 9 -4 9
19 Aston Villa 8 0 8
20 Blackburn 9 -6 8
21 Cardiff 9 -7 8
22 Derby 9 -6 6
23 Rotherham 9 -12 6
24 Wigan 9 -3 5
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Villa left it late as Aaron Tshibola headed an 88th minute equaliser in front of a 32,000 crowd
gessa

Post by gessa »

Big game Wednesday as Norwich go to Newcastle.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I think the quality of the overall league has definitely improved this season. Ipswich and Blackburn the only poor teams I have seen us play so far this season. I was impressed by very few sides home and away last season and all 3 promoted teams (Burnley, Middlesbrough and Hull) very rarely played well last season and looked like sides that were challenging for promotion in my opinion.
I was very impressed by Birmingham and Fulham at Elland Road this season so far.

Bristol City were a team who I felt at the start of the season were going to have a good season they are very much the new Bournemouth. Have a manager who was a club legend as a player, improved the stadium, have signed a lot of unproven players, however, they have become a great team who play premier league quality football. This will be a really tough game on Tuesday.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:I think the quality of the overall league has definitely improved this season. Ipswich and Blackburn the only poor teams I have seen us play so far this season. I was impressed by very few sides home and away last season and all 3 promoted teams (Burnley, Middlesbrough and Hull) very rarely played well last season and looked like sides that were challenging for promotion in my opinion.
I was very impressed by Birmingham and Fulham at Elland Road this season so far.

Bristol City were a team who I felt at the start of the season were going to have a good season they are very much the new Bournemouth. Have a manager who was a club legend as a player, improved the stadium, have signed a lot of unproven players, however, they have become a great team who play premier league quality football. This will be a really tough game on Tuesday.
Even though QPR & Forest put three past us i didn't think they were anything special, we just laid down & died in both games. We had no Pontus, Hernandez, O'Kane to call upon in those games too. If we could only wind back the clock & play them now, i think we'd witness a different outcome
Sheff Wed & Cardiff were distinctly average imo !

I'm baffled with Fulham, had them down as serious relegation contenders then they came to our place & really impressed me although we were poor at the time, now the cottagers are on a slump.

I firmly believe we weren't ready for the start of the new season when you look how poor we were !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The key player so far in our transformation has to be Jannsen. With him in the side v Qpr we probably don't concede the early goal and likewise v Forest. I always felt that if we could cut out the comedy goals we were conceding we'd be a decent enough team as we'd looked to improve our firepower. Scoring a few more and conceding a few less can certainly turn us into genuine play-off contenders although I am yet to be fully convinced by this side and would like to see how well we play when we go a goal down as we do seem more set up now for counter attacking.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Barnsley v Aston Villa
Birmingham v Preston
Blackburn v Sheff Wed
Brentford v Reading
Bristol City v Leeds
Burton v QPR
Cardiff v Derby
Huddersfield v Rotherham
Ipswich v Brighton
Nottm Forest v Fulham
Wigan v Wolves

Wed
Newcastle v Norwich

Some tight games again,Newcastle v Norwich being probably the most fascinating at the top, Cardiff v Derby being so at the bottom, another defeat for Derby and at least a point for Blackburn would see them 3 points adrift in the relegation places. A victory for us with a few of the teams directly above us having tough games could see us just below the play off places. Early I know to talk about play offs and relegation but hey oh
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Barnsley v Aston Villa
Birmingham v Preston
Blackburn v Sheff Wed
Brentford v Reading
Bristol City v Leeds
Burton v QPR
Cardiff v Derby
Huddersfield v Rotherham
Ipswich v Brighton
Nottm Forest v Fulham
Wigan v Wolves

Wed
Newcastle v Norwich

Some tight games again,Newcastle v Norwich being probably the most fascinating at the top, Cardiff v Derby being so at the bottom, another defeat for Derby and at least a point for Blackburn would see them 3 points adrift in the relegation places. A victory for us with a few of the teams directly above us having tough games could see us just below the play off places. Early I know to talk about play offs and relegation but hey oh
I reckon these midweek matches are the most difficult to predict in a long time

Quite a few us won't be standing joining Hector i suspect
MonkIn
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by MonkIn »

An early guess for the final table:
1. Newcastle
2. Norwich
3. Brighton
4. Sheff Wed