Leeds v Newcastle - Team/News/Reports

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Newcastle - Team/News/Reports

Post by The Subhuman »

Green - 4
Ayling - 6
Bartley - 7
Jansson - 7
Taylor - 7
Roofe - 6
Vierra - 6
Phillips - 6
O'Kane - 7
Doukara - 5
Wood - 4

Sacko - 6
Antonsson - 6
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BobHirst wrote:More even 2nd half after being thrashed for 40 minutes of the first.

Sort of but Newcastle took their foot off the accelerator.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

.....just beaten by a far better team.....dust ourselves down and pick up 3 points in the next match

MOT !!! :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

The better side won today, but they didn't play us off the park. Clanger from Green and a fine team goal the difference. Thought our back four was solid, but midfield gave them too much respect early doors. We missed Bridcutt and, especially, Hernandez today. Newcastle will win this league at a canter, so no disgrace losing to them. What we do in January is key, I feel, their bench looked much stronger than ours. We need some depth
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote:Green - 4
Ayling - 6
Bartley - 7
Jansson - 7
Taylor - 7
Roofe - 6
Vierra - 6
Phillips - 6
O'Kane - 7
Doukara - 5
Wood - 4

Sacko - 6
Antonsson - 6
Agree with most of those apart from the Ayling mark, thought he was just about our best player today and certainly seems a good acquisition at the moment.

We came up against a very good Newcastle team today that has had £10s millions spent on it with a few of our most experienced players missing, young lads done well overall. First game we've really missed Bridcutt. If we show similar application rest of the season we should certainly be round the play offs.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Agree re Ayling, NW, MOTM for me. Some of his crossing wasn't great, but he put in a very good shift.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

And can we have someone else doing our set-piece deliveries, Phillips' were shocking for the most part today?
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

If Monk doesn't fancy Silvestri we also need to get in the market for a keeper because Green is a liability, flaps at crosses and kicking is poor. Only reason he has looked ok is that he's had a decent back 4 in front of him, if he'd been in the side with, Bamba, Bellusci and Wootton in front of him he'd be getting slaughtered!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Very disappointing. I was expecting us to be snapping into tackles from the off. However, Shelvey, Colback and Ritchie were given all the time and space they needed to dominate the midfield.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Stood off them too much early doors, Gandi, we shouldn't have allowed them to settle so easily. They weren't anything like as dominant when we got in amongst them. They were the better side, but we knew that going into the game. They didn't muller us, which is a positive.

Oh, and Rob Green is sh*t!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:Agree re Ayling, NW, MOTM for me. Some of his crossing wasn't great, but he put in a very good shift.
I thought most put in a good shift without looking out of their depth. Young team with three key players out for me (four if you believe Silvestri should start which I do). This isn't a promotion team as yet, we lack pace and guile up front, and that is the key area to upgrade in the transfer window.

Roofe is beginning to flash, it's coming.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Taylor MOTM for me.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote:I thought most put in a good shift without looking out of their depth. Young team with three key players out for me (four if you believe Silvestri should start which I do). This isn't a promotion team as yet, we lack pace and guile up front, and that is the key area to upgrade in the transfer window.

Roofe is beginning to flash, it's coming.
Can't argue with any of that, faaip. Agree we're not quite there, but we'll be in and around the top 6 come the end of the season, which will be a huge step forward. A lot depends on what we do in January. Permanent deals for Bartley, Jansson and Hernandez, and a better striker. I also thought Roofe had, perhaps, his best game today, starting to find his feet.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Remember watching Beckford through his first two unimpressive seasons for us. Big step up but there was always something there and when he started to flash you knew it was coming..I'm getting the same feeling for Roofe. He's not up to pace yet but when the light goes on he's going to be big for us...Assuming no injury or falling into the managers dog house for some reason.

Wood for me is too easy to defend for a better than average team, he need the ball to fall his way imo. 3 times today a predatory striker would have caused problems but Wood was caught flat footed several times irrespective if he would have got there or not. Gayle is ten times the player but cost three times the price I guess
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thanks faaip and others for the commentary. I cannot get a stream so have no way of evaluating anything.

It's disappointing but not the end of the world. They are a better team and they played well enough to get the result. We had better players missing but, unfortunately, we don't have the essential squad depth for a sustained challenge and that's all there is to it.

I like MC and I think he cares about the team, but this result and the manner of it is precisely why we need someone with more money than MC seems to have or make available. We are good enough if the best 11 are available, but a better goalkeeper and striker are essential. if we are to have a realistic chance of promotion and staying up after promotion.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote:Remember watching Beckford through his first two unimpressive seasons for us. Big step up but there was always something there and when he started to flash you knew it was coming..I'm getting the same feeling for Roofe. He's not up to pace yet but when the light goes on he's going to be big for us...Assuming no injury or falling into the managers dog house for some reason.

Wood for me is too easy to defend for a better than average team, he need the ball to fall his way imo. 3 times today a predatory striker would have caused problems but Wood was caught flat footed several times irrespective if he would have got there or not. Gayle is ten times the player but cost three times the price I guess
A lot of fans thought Roofe should just slot in straight away (price we paid, possibly), but it was always going to take time. Weird you mention Beckford, as I think Roofe moves a lot like him. He will come good, I've no doubt. And again, he's only a kid really, has time on his side.

Wood has been in decent form, but he is neither predatory enough nor clinical enough to propel us to the big time. Would like to see Antonsson given a run in the side; I like his movement and I think him and Hernandez would be on the same wavelength
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm not sure whether it's lack of funds or lack of inclination because of the fan base.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wood has use off the bench to change a game, useful against tiring defences imo, not a starter though for me
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Yeah, he's too one dimensional
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:Phillips is the best crosser of the ball we've had in ages. His dead balls are top drawer.
What :shock: